Need a steak marinade idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
I'm making steak and chipolte lime shrimp for hubby for Valentine's Day dinner. I was thinking I'd cook the steak on my grill pan inside (our regular grill hasn't been working for awhile and I'm still waiting for DH to fix it!). Any suggestions on how I could marinate and cook the steak to complement the shrimp? I'm probably going to serve this with a salad of mixed greens and some sort of rice.

PA, lime juice is really good on beef too. If you don't think it would be overkill, I'd go for a lime-based marinade for the steak as well. Lugaru might have some good ideas, 'cuz it's done a lot in Latin cooking.

That's what I was thinking, too, Mud. I love lime so I'd like to add that flavor into whatever I end up doing. Bring it on, Lugaru and others! :D

Here's one for ya - TNT!

CUBAN MOJO MARINADE

6 servings

1 cup olive oil
12 cloves garlic
1 cup lime juice
1/3 cup orange juice
2tsp. ground cumin
1 ½ T salt
2tsp. black pepper
¼ cup chopped cilantro

Slice garlic thinly; heat olive oil and saute garlic til light golden brown; add rest of ingredients. Let marinade cool and marinate fish or meat up to 6 hours. Reserve some marinade to drizzle over meat or fish.

Thanks, marm! Do you think I could use flat-leaf parsley instead of cilantro? No matter how much I try to like cilantro, I just can't!

Sure you can use flat-leaf parsley instead of cilantro - but it will change the flavor .... but then you obviously already knew that since you wanted to sub something for the cilantro. I'm also not a big fan of cilantro - but in this case it is a flavor component - maybe use 1/2 cilantro and 1/2 parsley?

One thing I would suggest - if your going to use the marinade as a sauce to put on the finished dish .... put it in a sauce pan, bring it to a boil for 1 minute, then simmer for at least 3 minutes. Remember, this has been in contact with raw meat .... that you are now going to pour over cooked meat. If you "cook" the marinade then you'll get rid of any nasty little "bugs" picked up from the raw meat.

Back
Top Bottom