Need help cooking with SS tri-ply

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luisc202

Assistant Cook
I bought the JC Penny Cooks 13 piece SS Tri-ply for a super deal. I tried cooking and egg on the 10" pan and wow is it hard to cook in. The egg stuck to the pan. I let the pan warm up and put some oil in to coat it and waited for the oil to get hot and then cracked the egg in place.

Please tell me what I need to do different.

I don't cook eggs, but my thought would be to add the egg right after the cold oil.

Sounds like you did it right. Hot pan (not super hot, just medium), hot fat then add the egg and let it cook undisturbed for a minute or two before you try to move it. The pan must be clean as a whistle before you start. Any residue will serve as a sticking point.

You may have to gently dislodge it from a spot or two but it should be relatively easy.

All that being said, while 95% of my cookware is tri-ply SS, I use a cheap teflon on aluminum skillet to do my eggs. No thought involved-easy peasy.

Sounds like you did it right. Hot pan (not super hot, just medium), hot fat then add the egg and let it cook undisturbed for a minute or two before you try to move it. The pan must be clean as a whistle before you start. Any residue will serve as a sticking point.

You may have to gently dislodge it from a spot or two but it should be relatively easy.

All that being said, while 95% of my cookware is tri-ply SS, I use a cheap teflon on aluminum skillet to do my eggs. No thought involved-easy peasy.

Yeah I think I am going to go buy a 12" Teflon pan. It is too much of a headache..lol

I use an 8" for 2-3 fried eggs or a two egg omelet. I go to a 10" skillet if I want a three egg omelet. The only time I use a 12" skillet for eggs is if I'm making a frittata. That's 8 eggs and a bunch of other stuff as well.

You can get a really good deal at Costco for an 8"and a 10" skillet in heavy aluminum with a non-stick coating for under $25.

I use an 8" for 2-3 fried eggs or a two egg omelet. I go to a 10" skillet if I want a three egg omelet. The only time I use a 12" skillet for eggs is if I'm making a frittata. That's 8 eggs and a bunch of other stuff as well.

You can get a really good deal at Costco for an 8"and a 10" skillet in heavy aluminum with a non-stick coating for under $25.

I will go to Costco on Saturday. Thanks for the tip.

the very qualities that make clad or tri ply stainless great for most sauteing and pan frying, makes it difficult for eggs and some seafood like scallops. This is where a teflon/silverstone skillet comes in handy. I absolutely agree!

Other foods howver, let them brown and they will release just fine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom