Need help! Newbie to cooking!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

myssmisery

Assistant Cook
Hi. My name is Alana. I am 24 years old and I have no idea how to cook. I know it's real laughable, but I have never made anything outside of desserts. And I volunteered to make cheese burgers for everyone tomorrow. Can someone please help me! my daughter is now 1 and I've gotta learn this stuff. I am so nervous I'm almost in tears. Can someone break it down to me like a child. It would so save my dignity. Thanx. :cry:

First - welcome!!!! Second - no need to worry - follow this recipe

The olive oil really makes the meat moist and it won't dry out. It adds a nice flavor too.

1 lb good quality lean ground meat (for every 4 to 5 burgers)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt
2-3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon horseradish (optional but good)

Chop garlic cloves on wooden surface then put in mortar and pestle.
Add salt and olive oil and make a paste.

Add this to the meat along with the Worcestershire and horseradish.
Mix everything and adjust ingredients to suit your taste.

When cooked to satisfaction I like to use provolone cheese - but if you want cheddar or American use whatever you like.

Also slice some red onion, tomato, and iceburg lettuce - serve on buns.

When you make the patties place an indention in the middle of each one with your thumb (almost all the way through). This keeps the burgers from shrinking. We like ours thick and I like them to stay that way
!
Salt and Pepper according to taste when done.

Thank You! Thank You!

Oh thank you so much! I may actually be able to sleep now. I was so afraid everyone was gonna ignore me because it was an idiotic question. once again, thank you.

No question is idiotic - the only reason I would ignore you is because it's 3:36 in the morning and I should be asleep ;)

If you follow that recipe - and even use a bit more horseradish like I do (for adults) - you won't go wrong. And the provolone is very good on these.

alana, never be afraid to ask us anything! we all started somewhere. some younger, some older. i was about 24 when i began to cook for myself for the first time. you'll get better in no time. heck, maybe we'll all be eating "alana's famous burgers" someday...

Welcome to the group.
You'll meet some amazing people here and
the learning never stops for any of us! :D

Hi Alana
wave2.gif
I'm glad you found us! I'm still learning things about cooking myself. If you have any questions, just ask. :)

Welcome Alana. You came to the right place for advice. And like the others have said, don't ever b e afraid to ask questions. We have professional chefs on this board all the way down to people who have never cooked a single thing and every single one of us can still learn from each other. The more questions you ask the more you will learn.

Kitchenelfs recipe sounds great (as all of her recipes do :)). For burgers you can get as complicated or simple as you want. You will find burger recipes that have tons and tons of things in them and others that are just very simple.

The most simple way to make a burger is just forming ground beef into patties and cooking. You really don't need anything else other than maybe a little salt. When I make them this way I do not use very lean meat. I try to use ground chuck which is about 70-75% lean. The fat content will give flavor to the burgers and also help to keep them from drying out. Just take the meat and add a little salt then form into patties and cook.

One important thing to remember when cooking them, and I can't stress this enough, is to not smash the burgers down with the spatula. You always see people on TV do this or in fast food joints. It sounds great when you hear that sizzle, but it is the worst thing you can do to a burger. What happens when you press it down is that you are squeezing out all the juice. The sizzle you hear is the juice hitting the hot pan (or flame). The burger will cook faster if you do this, but it will not be as juicy. I also only like to flip my burgers once. You should not have to flip it multiple times.

Good luck with your burgers. I am sure you will do great. Make sure to come back and tell us how it turned out :)

Alana......

img_75321_0_f6cc5c97c5d0932e5cce385932345d63.jpg

I'm not much of a cook myself but have learned alot from my pals here.. Good luck with your burgers and let us know how it all came out.

Hey! Just wanted to follow up with all who helped my with my dillema :LOL: It turned out great! I also fried bacon to go with my burgers. Everyone seemed pleased.....Once again, thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom