Need some help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Real Help

Cook
Resurrection Feast is approaching, and family comes home from abroad.
Here Resurrection Feast is a HUGE holiday, even bigger than Christmas.
While the main menu is already set, sarmale, sour broth, boeuf salad and etc. I have some difficulties with what to prepare for dessert.
While sweet bread and pasca will definitely be on my table, I am stumped on whatever else to bring into the mix. I am somehow bored of the old menu, I always, ALWAYS made sour cream cookies, biscuit salami, apple pie, and chocolate cake, but this year I want to do something different yet, similar. I don't know how to explain it.
My family is a "bit" stubborn about trying new things, they are very ... I don't know if traditionalists, but the best word to describe them would be stubborn.
I made a while back zucchini and banana bread, and they didn't even want to try it, "zucchini is a food, not a dessert" and they were delicious not to brag or anything. Do you guys have any dessert ideas that never failed you, that always worked even for most stubborn people that don't like to try out things?

What about a type of pavlova? Only trouble with meringues are last minute preps that are sometimes necessary. If you have enough air tight containers for the meringues themselves, it should not be too bad.

What about a type of pavlova? Only trouble with meringues are last minute preps that are sometimes necessary. If you have enough air tight containers for the meringues themselves, it should not be too bad.
Mhmm, could be. I haven't made a pavlova in years. That's an idea too. Thank you!

I'd go with something with lemon then.
Yeah. I decided to make lemon bars, so I got that covered. I am still short with 3 sweets. I was thinking to make some baklava but idk, I'm not sure if it's working, it's too sweet, the whole combo. Pavlova, lemon bars, baklava, it doesn't feel right, idk why. Or maybe I'll make a cheesecake, that's quick, idk... I still have time to decide and browse around maybe something will get my attention. Thank you, my head is spinning when I think about how much stuff I'll have to do.

Yeah. I decided to make lemon bars, so I got that covered. I am still short with 3 sweets. I was thinking to make some baklava but idk, I'm not sure if it's working, it's too sweet, the whole combo. Pavlova, lemon bars, baklava, it doesn't feel right, idk why. Or maybe I'll make a cheesecake, that's quick, idk... I still have time to decide and browse around maybe something will get my attention. Thank you, my head is spinning when I think about how much stuff I'll have to do.
It might help to make a timeline. I made one in a spreadsheet years ago for Thanksgiving. Write down your menu, including what others are bringing, and use it to determine what can be made in advance and either frozen or refrigerated, as well as for a grocery list and a list of serving pieces and utensils for each item.

Further to my post of meringues, my DIL just made these 'flowers'. Best ones are already gone, but here's what's left to give you an idea.
They are coffee flavoured with an almond pressed in the centre.
Most of them had the sprinkled cocoa in the centers, but as I said... gone.

20230321_152349.jpg 20230321_152408.jpg
How can coffee flavoured dessert not be right? LOL! She made these over a week ago and they've kept really well in an airtight container on the counter.

Further to my post of meringues, my DIL just made these 'flowers'. Best ones are already gone, but here's what's left to give you an idea.
They are coffee flavoured with an almond pressed in the centre.
Most of them had the sprinkled cocoa in the centers, but as I said... gone.

View attachment 64007 View attachment 64008
How can coffee flavoured dessert not be right? LOL! She made these over a week ago and they've kept really well in an airtight container on the counter.
LOL. This is funny, you showed this coffee flavored desert when I decided to make something coffee related. I'm gonna make some tiramisu too, we all are coffee junkies so, I can never go wrong with coffee. Very nice flowers, and I bet they are delicious too, do you have a recipe for them?

I'll ask her - those were made by my daughter-in-law. She'll be flattered.
I confess, they won't last too much longer as I take one every time I go upstairs.

You could also make meringue mushrooms. I made them as part of the decorations for a Yule log. The extras were as much of a hit as the finished cake. The recipe is on page 2 of the link.

I used cocoa powder in and on the mushrooms, but you could use some very finely ground coffee beans or even a combo with cocoa powder. You could also flavor the melted chocolate used to "glue" the caps and stems together with some coffee bean powder.

As above, they can be made ahead and stored in an airtight container. I also placed a layer of uncooked rice on the bottom of the container to absorb any humidity so the meringues stayed nice and crisp.

I'd serve them in a wooden or rattan woven basket lined with dark green cloth like you had been out gathering mushrooms.

To avoid waste, make something that uses egg yolks predominately. My tiramusu uses only egg yolks. You could also make some kind of custard dessert, like flan or creme brulee.

Attachments

• 2018-12-27 16.06.32.jpg
    2018-12-27 16.06.32.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
You could also make meringue mushrooms. I made them as part of the decorations for a Yule log. The extras were as much of a hit as the finished cake. The recipe is on page 2 of the link.

I used cocoa powder in and on the mushrooms, but you could use some very finely ground coffee beans or even a combo with cocoa powder. You could also flavor the melted chocolate used to "glue" the caps and stems together with some coffee bean powder.

As above, they can be made ahead and stored in an airtight container. I also placed a layer of uncooked rice on the bottom of the container to absorb any humidity so the meringues stayed nice and crisp.

I'd serve them in a wooden or rattan woven basket lined with dark green cloth like you had been out gathering mushrooms.

To avoid waste, make something that uses egg yolks predominately. My tiramusu uses only egg yolks. You could also make some kind of custard dessert, like flan or creme brulee.
Thank you for the ideas and for both of the recipes. I also make the tiramisu only with yolks, so I will definitely have egg whites to play.

:blush: :blush: I could hear my DIL giggling through-out the text message I got back.

They were marshmallows. Not meringues.

Well, in my defense, aren't marshmallows kind of, sort of, meringues?

Here's a link should anyone be interested. yummy easy, easy flowers

You'll find the instructions are in the comments.

:blush: :blush: I could hear my DIL giggling through-out the text message I got back.

They were marshmallows. Not meringues.

Well, in my defense, aren't marshmallows kind of, sort of, meringues?

Here's a link should anyone be interested. yummy easy, easy flowers

You'll find the instructions are in the comments.
Thank you. I'll try them asap since they are so quick to make.

Back
Top Bottom