Need tempura help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glace

Assistant Cook
Dad makes perfect tempura every time. Mine drips off before it hits the oil. Just found a deep fryer so I'm kinda goin' nuts with fried things. I'd like to make tempura veggies and the meat pies I got in Grand Cayman. Found a recipe for the latter on a Carribean(sp?) site that might be close. Back to tempura...any help'll be welcomed. TIA.

two possibilities come to mind - one, the tempura batter is too thin - but if you've seen first hand a good prep, might not be the case.

the second is the stuff you're 'battering' needs to be patted dry - wet chunks won't 'hold' the batter. that part is 'technique' and perhaps got overlooked?

Maybe you need to dip it in flour first and than in batter. If your dad makes perfect tempura I'd be asking him first.

While I was waiting for answers, I went back through past posts and found 2 recipes. Both of your suggestions were confirmed. Thanks. I'd ask Dad but by my own fault, Dad is "done with me". I just hope that there are enough cooks here to fill Dad's shoes, so far it looks like there are, many thanks.:heart:

Glace said:
Thanks. I'd ask Dad but by my own fault, Dad is "done with me". I

Ya know Glace...I'm a daddy, and I have a daughter..Somehow I just don't believe this is true...A daddy is 'never' done with his daughter...Call him and ask him to help you with the tempura...I betcha he'll be tickled to help!!

Unc, I'd like to believe you but Dad has never said an untrue word to me. He's always been very careful in his words to us. It's a scary thing.

It does not matter what you did, or didn't do....what you said or didn't say...the way you acted, or did not act...None of that matters. Your daddy loves you regardless...You might say... He hates the 'sin' but but loves the 'sinner' ~ Your daddy loves you!! ~ While he may be *angry* it may mean he's hurt ~ men are that way you know..they show/display anger.. Grrrrrrrr!! when most often what's really wrong is.... they are hurt ~~ Go to Him...reach out to Him, admit your shortcomings.. ask Him to forgive you...I betcha he will.. Trust me! Then you can get that Tempura recipe :LOL: Ok???

Last edited:
tempura

Try dredging the food in potato flour or corn starch before dipping into the batter. I also use potato flour in my batter. And it sounds like your batter is too thin.

Thanks, Sush for the tip, I'm thinking the same thing.
:cry:Unc, I want to believe you and trust you. Maybe I'll call Dad. I called last Christmas and left an "I miss you, Dad" on the machine. I don't want to be the one with things left unsaid when he's passed over. Maybe my love for him will outweigh the hurt I caused. I just hope you're right that he can overlook the stupid things I did. Thanks. XXXO

Welcome to DC Glace. My parents and I did not speak to one another for 6 years. My mother got very sick, I went to care for her (who did she want--me). Although I still am hurt by what my parents did, and that hurt will never go away, they are still my parents and they still love me. I still love them. And, I really wish I hadn't missed the six years when my mother still had her mind and she was still my mom. Don't wait too long.

You're welcome....If possible go see him face to face. That would be the best option. If that isn't possible, I strongly encourage you to contact/call him at every opportunity. and be persistent...Birthday cards, Father's day. etc. etc. etc. I'm sure your love for him will eventually soften his heart and you can restore the relationship. Never give up...Never!!

Glace--I don't know what happened, but all I can say, is "suck up your pride." Accept your dad for who he is, and remember that he loves you more than life itself. My dad would put an "x" on the calendar to mark off every day before I arrived--but he was very undemonstrative. Father's Day is fast approaching. Book a flight and tell him you're coming HOME. He'll pick you up at the airport. And he'll give you a hug. And all will be forgotten (maybe not forgiven, but forgotten). That is what family is about. And, when you leave, he will give you the biggest, strongest hug you've ever had and say "thank you." Uncle Bob is right, "a daddy always loves his baby."

Oh--and I left lots of messages on their vm. I finally had to take action and catch a flight. I'm glad I did.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom