Need to WOW husband....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mish - I think you mean "Dirty Risotto" (rice), not "Dirty Polenta" (cornmeal)?

I went over to the Food Network website to look up the recipe, & only Giarda's "Dirty Risotto" came up (with sausage & shrooms) for the show yesterday; came up empty-handed for "Dirty Polenta" for any show.

BreezyCooking said:
Mish - I think you mean "Dirty Risotto" (rice), not "Dirty Polenta" (cornmeal)?

I went over to the Food Network website to look up the recipe, & only Giarda's "Dirty Risotto" came up (with sausage & shrooms) for the show yesterday; came up empty-handed for "Dirty Polenta" for any show.

Thanks for correcting me. That's the recipe. Looked very good.

P.S. Think you meant to say Giada - not Giarda.

Alix said:
I was thinking coffee ice cream myself (can you tell I love coffee??)

Alix, we must have been seestahs in another lifetime, lol. I love coffee ice cream!!! The chicken can be a side dish. :LOL:

oh you guys! coffee ice cream first thing in the morning... PERFECT! I'll take a dish!!

Thank you for all the wonderful ideas!!!

Last night was good. Like I said I already had a beef heart thawed so I made a great heart stew with red wine and lots of thyme and veggies. I served it over noodles and Paul was very pleased.

Tonight... it'll be the roasted chicken and rosemary potatoes!

pdswife said:
Last night was good. Like I said I already had a beef heart thawed so I made a great heart stew with red wine and lots of thyme and veggies. I served it over noodles and Paul was very pleased.

I guess you answered the door fully clothed.:LOL: What happened to the dining out?

This topic has been a hoot to read!

I have a similar problem but yet different. Mrs. BD is anti spice/seasoning. She grew up in a bland family, and pretty much anything and everything that I have made that included any seasoning or spice was met with disapproval.

So, conversely to pdswife looking for recipes to kick things up, I'm open to any and all bland recipes to add to the repetoire. We have about a 2 week rotation . . . . .*YAWN* . . . . . . .

pdswife said:

Pds, I've never made beef heart. Love liver and onions, though, (another idea) with mashed potatoes, and chicken livers - but can't bring myself to cook it. Thanks for reminding me of some of my faves, I haven't had in quite a while. Hope you found some new/old ideas, to revisit. Love the thread. Hope people keep adding their favorites.

lol... yeah...it's hard to touch.
It's very bloody.
But it's worth it in the end.

BigDog said:

I have a similar problem but yet different. Mrs. BD is anti spice/seasoning. She grew up in a bland family, and pretty much anything and everything that I have made that included any seasoning or spice was met with disapproval.

So, conversely to pdswife looking for recipes to kick things up, I'm open to any and all bland recipes to add to the repetoire. We have about a 2 week rotation . . . . .*YAWN* . . . . . . .

Um, can't you wean her on to flavour....I mean, accept if she doesn't like things salted or with heat, but crank up fresh herb volume. One you wean her onto taste some of her taste buds will destruct and you can crack the rest up a notch. What DOES she like.....give us a basis of your two week rotation and perhaps that will help.

I made a stew today with ground meat (beef/pork), zucchini, paprika and onions, served with rice... made a bit more, Frank wasn't home and I thought I may have something left, but now he came home, went into the kitchen and now there is not much left... :rolleyes:

BigDog, I know how you must feel. My husband was raised with plain cooking, too, and my mom. Not all of the food they're used to is bad, but I love to add garlic or wine and I love fresh herbs and spices. I just use a lighter hand with them, vary things (some days plainer than others and not all meals have every dish highly seasoned) and gradually (25 years) my husband has come around! My mom's a little tougher, though, but she's getting there!

Make him Shrimp Alfredo. Make sure you grate your own cheese for this.

SHRIMP ALFREDO
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. corn oil
2 tsp. butter
1 clove garlic
Sm. chopped onion
1 lb. shelled deveined shrimp
1 tsp. dry parsley
2 sticks butter
1 pt. lite cream (or half & half)
1/4 c. dry white wine
1 lemon
12 oz. fresh pasta
1/2 lb. grated Parmesan cheese

Start boiling water for pasta. Use a large pot. Add salt and oil to water. While the water is heating, put butter in a large frying pan. Turn on low flame. Heat butter until it melts. Add the garlic and onion. When garlic and onion are tender, add the shrimp. Toss often. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan on a very low flame, add butter. After butter is melted, add cream or half and half and stir. Put on simmer. When the shrimp starts turning pink, add white wine and squeeze the lemon over shrimp. Toss and cook for 1 minute. Don't overcook. Turn off flame and cover. Add pasta to boiling water. Add Parmesan to melted butter and cream. Stir often while pasta is cooking. (Fresh pasta shouldn't take more than 3 minutes to cook. Follow directions on package.) Add more Parmesan for a thicker sauce, less for thinner sauce. Drain pasta in colander. Put the pasta back in large pot, add shrimp and sauce. Toss thoroughly. Transfer to serving dish and sprinkle parsley over top. Serve with a tossed salad and Italian bread. Serves 2 to 4.

lulu said:
Um, can't you wean her on to flavour....I mean, accept if she doesn't like things salted or with heat, but crank up fresh herb volume. One you wean her onto taste some of her taste buds will destruct and you can crack the rest up a notch. What DOES she like.....give us a basis of your two week rotation and perhaps that will help.

My wife comes from a family like that. Fortunately she now likes spices. She's still not as adventurous as me, and I'm not all that adventurous.

BigDog said:

I can't believe someone can prefer meals without any spices... it must be tasteless, mustn't it?

Back
Top Bottom