Need Whole Chicken Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
I picked up a small chicken (about 3 lbs) at the store last week because it was on sale. I threw it in the freezer for this weekend and need some ideas on what to do with it. Usually I make a rosemary lemon chicken in the crockpot with these guys but I'm in the mood for something different. Any suggestions on how I could roast it or bake it?

i make a dry rub out of garlic powder (not garlic salt), sweet hungarian paprika, crushed black pepper, and sea salt. i wash the boid, pat her dry, then rub the spice mix all over her, inside and out. put on a rack in a roasting pan, and roast for about an hour at 350. when it is just about done, checking with a thermometer, i crank up the heat to 425 to get a little more crisp out of the skin.
my wife abhors skin, but will sneak a piece when i'm not looking (i have eyes in the back of my head).

Hi PABaker most of the chicken's that are cooked in the west are always cooked with the skin on to keep it moist.

I am another one like buckytom's wife who abhors skin. I just can't imagine eating it.

I normally skin my whole chicken. Yes it's some work but not hard at all except the wings and I leave them as is. I then make a rich sauce and bake the chicken with the sauce. Here is one such recipe. It takes some ingredients and prep but if you are in a mood for something really different you can try it.

1 cup of plain yogurt
1/2 cup of heavy cream
1/2 cup of ground cashews ( Planters ones are fine)
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 stick of ginger
1 tsp of whole black peppercorns
2 dried whole red chillies
2 tsp of cumin seeds
2 tsp of corrainder seeds
salt to taste
pinch of sugar
1 small can of tomato sauce (the smallest one you can find, I believe 4oz)
cilantro and sliced boiled eggs for garnish

Place the ginger, garlic, peppercorns, cumin seeds, corrainder seeds, cashews, red chillies into a food processor and let it all grind together into a paste. Now mix this paste with the tomato sauce, cream and yogurt. Put salt and sugar to taste.

Now pour half of this sauce over the whole skinned chicken and cover it with saran wrap and let it marinate overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place the chicken in an ovenproof pan, cover and cook for about 30 minutes. Then remove the cover and continue baking for another 30 minutes. Remove pour the reserved sauce and continue to cook for another 15 minutes or so until cooked through.

Place on a platter Pour the sauce over it, garnish with chopped cilantro, sliced boiled eggs and sometimes I sprinkle some fried potato strings.

Beer Butt Chicken!

You can do a Google search, there are hundreds of recipes, or you can check out any Paula Deen site.

thanks yakuta! that looks good, and dw will be thrilled if i make a skinless whole chicken.
however, i will need to wash it down with a few kingfishers...

I agree with Caine!

Rub the outside of it down as BuckyTom suggests, grab an empty Campbell's Soup can, fill it with one of the very many solutions of beer, dark beer, onion soup, soya sauce, a ton of garlic, cranberry juice, OJ, aple juice (pick your poison of "what goes together best" for you personally, in terms of flavour!) and stuff the can into the chicken's body cavity, "stand it up" on the grilling pan, roast it in the oven until the breast is about 150 and the thigh is about 170, remove, tent with foil for 20 minutes, remove foil, gently extract the can, rest some more and carve...

Better yet, "brine" it first!

It'll be the best you've ever had!

Lifter

PS

Loads of "advice" on this on the many "pages" below!

Back
Top Bottom