Need wine (gift) suggestion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
I need your help choosing a wine. Bosses Day is next week and the only thing I know to get my boss (other than hemlock!) is a bottle of wine. Now this sounds awful, but I really don't want to spend much on the man! Can anyone recommend a nice, yet affordable (say no more that $15) bottle that I can give him? I'd like to stick to the less common names so that it's not obvious that I didn't spend much. ;) Thanks!

The good news is - at $15 you can get a pretty good bottle of wine

The bad news is - The are about 10,000 choices!! (Just a WAG)

The best advice I can recommend is to go to a local wine shop and tell them what you're looking for. It will probably help if you know a few things about what the boss likes/doesn't like as far as wine or even food. That way they can steer you to something worthwhile (i.e. the boss doesn't like reds, or overly "oak-y" chardonays).

There are plenty of smaller vineyards throughout the US and Canada - so odds are you'll be able to satisfy the 'less obvious' request without even having to go for a European wine (not that there's anything wrong them, though)

Just my $.02

John

my fav ~ $15 white that is extremely popular is santa margherita pinot grigio. haven't met a white wine drinker that didn't like it.

i almost exclusively drink red. like ronjohn55 said, there's thousand's of choices for that price. see if you can get a california red, from 1997 or 98. you may get lucky and find some still around.
the coppolla family of reds are very good, and a lot of people are into the whole name thing. their blue label merlot or claret is very good.

Hahn Estates Meritage. Quite a fabulous red - meritage means that there are several grapes, but the majority is merlot. It is moderately dry, with a great nose. I open the bottle and can smell it just sitting on the counter. Around great red is Wolf Blass Black Label Cabernet/Shiraz from Australia. It is a bit more expensive - $40 - but really great for a nice dinner. I had one somalier tell me that he likened it to 'sex in a bottle'. Then I had to try it! :)

For gifts you can never go wrong with sparking wine. At this price range look for Prosecco from Italy or Mumm's Napa or Chandon Napa from California.

I don't know what it costs in the States, but for less than $15CDN I can but Wolf Blass wines from Australia; the "Yellow Label" is exceptional, and the Shiraz is quite notable...

Back
Top Bottom