Need your all's opinion on something...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
I'm thinking of making my other half, Laurie, a happy person by bringing home a 2# bag of shrimp from work. The question is, do I bring home a bag of the 16/20 count, or a bag of the 40/50 count. The 16/20's are a good size for blackening, butterflying/breading/frying, and for cocktail. However, the 40/50's are a great size for using in Seafood Gumbo File, Shrimp Fricassee, Shrimp Creole, etc. I'm leaning towards the Seafood Gumbo File, as I also have some crab in my freezer that needs to be used. Would any of you have any other suggestions, or which one would you prefer?

i tend to prefer smaller food in general, seeing as to how it is sweeter and more tender in general, but i would say go with the big shrimp in this case. that is one case in which bigger really IS better.
what a thoughtful guy! :D

that is hard to answer. that all depends on what your other half likes better.. either is a great idea... gumbo is good this time of year.. great hearty meal... serve with some good crusty bread and a nice salad.

ahh, and I forgot... don't forget the chablis or the chardonnay... if you both like wine.. sounds like a really romantic meal!

Thanks for the replies.

She actually loves ANY kind of shrimp. But, she's very partial to my Seafood Gumbo (garlic bread! But, no wine, she doesn't drink it). However, she's been really excited lately whenever I bring home a styro container from work. She'll start saying, "Is that what I think it is? IS THAT WHAT I THINK IT IS?!?!" Then, she'll open it to see if there's some blackened shrimp in it.

I'm leaning towards the 40/50's myself, since I would use up some of the crab in my freezer (create some more, much needed, storage space), as well as the fact the the smaller shrimp is cheaper.

You're never to late, Alix. It'll probably be next week before I make it, Thursday at the earliest.

AllenMI said:
Thanks for the replies.

She actually loves ANY kind of shrimp. But, she's very partial to my Seafood Gumbo (garlic bread! But, no wine, she doesn't drink it). However, she's been really excited lately whenever I bring home a styro container from work. She'll start saying, "Is that what I think it is? IS THAT WHAT I THINK IT IS?!?!" Then, she'll open it to see if there's some blackened shrimp in it.

I'm leaning towards the 40/50's myself, since I would use up some of the crab in my freezer (create some more, much needed, storage space), as well as the fact the the smaller shrimp is cheaper.

Hi AMI

My two cents re. shrimp size and soup. More than a spoonful is a waste!

Funny you bring up Gumbo. I plan on making some this weekend and I could use some input. Care to post your Recipe?

8) :LOL: 8)
RAK

not gumbo weather yet, the ducks arn't here, too hot.
I'd go w/ the bigger ones, better fried, better boiled. good stuffed. while you're stuffing, you could use some of that crab meat and kill 2 birds....

about a gumbo recipe, you know how they all start...first you make a roux.
then you have to have 1 cup of each of the trinity, plus some green onions for next to last. File is optional, but pretty much used here, though it's fine without it, that's after the fire is off. between the file and the trinity all you need is stock and whatever you're making it with. use chicken broth for chicken/sausage gumbo, I use knorr's fish buillion cubes in my seafood gumbo, adds a layer of flavor. Can't wait for some cold weather!

My two cents: By the larger. You can always cut them up, but can never make them larger...

firsthyme said:
Hi AMI

My two cents re. shrimp size and soup. More than a spoonful is a waste!

Funny you bring up Gumbo. I plan on making some this weekend and I could use some input. Care to post your Recipe?

8) :LOL: 8)
RAK

Here you go. This is a combination of a couple of Chef Prudhomme's Gumbo recipes.

Chicken, Sausage, and Shrimp Filé Gumbo
Yields: 4 entrée servings

1 chicken, cooked, and picked apart (saving scraps for stock)
½# good smoked sausage, either andouille or kielbasa
5 c chicken and/or seafood stock
Seasoning mix:
¾ t cayenne
1 ½ t paprika
1 t salt
¼ t white pepper
¼ t black pepper
½ t thyme
½ t oregano
1 bay leaf
¾ c margarine (not butter)
2 c chopped onions
2 c chopped celery
2 c chopped green bell peppers
3 T gumbo filé (filé powder)
1 T Tabasco
1 t minced garlic
1 ¼ c canned tomato sauce (10 fluid oz.)
1# medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 ½ c packed crabmeat, picked over, about ½#, optional (I like to get a couple snow crab clusters and pick them)
1 1/3 hot cooked rice

Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside. In a 4-qt heavy soup pot, melt the margarine over medium heat. Add the sausage, and sauté until lightly browned. Add the onions, celery, and bell peppers. Turn heat to high and stir in the gumbo filé, Tabasco, garlic, and seasoning mix. Cook 6 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium and stir in the tomato sauce, continue cooking 5 minutes, stirring constantly. (During this time, the mixture will begin sticking to the pan bottom. As it does so, continually scrape the pan bottom well with a spoon. The scrapings not only add to the gumbo’s flavor, but also decrease the gumbo filé’s ability to thicken.) Add the stock and chicken, and bring gumbo to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 45 - 60 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the shrimp and crabmeat (if desired); cover and turn off the heat. Leave the pot covered just until the seafood is poached, about 6 - 10 minutes. Serve immediately.

The "clue" here is that you have "also have crab in the freezer".
Make the gumbo.
Get some medium count shrimp and go from there.
If you were doing something else then there would be a size importance and etc.

Let your budget, and your time, be your guide. The larger the shrimp the more they will cost - the smaller they are the cheaper they generally are and the longer it will take to shell them.

When I make gumbo (with shrimps, okra and tomato) - I generally buy the 2-pound bag of 60-70 count. It takes a little longer to peel them - but the shells go into making the "stock" that I use in the gumbo (instead of water called for in the recipe) and it's about 1/2 the price. More labor intensive, cheaper, and a lot more flavor in the end.

I also use the smaller shrimp(s) when making a sweet tomato and shrimp sauce to go over pasta.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom