Nervous Around Knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
By the way, cut resistant gloves are available from Chefs catalog for considerably less. I keep meaning to order one to use with my mandolin. Being cut by dull or sharp knives hurt, but to me, the dull knife is much more likely to go slipping off something you're meaning to cut, and wind up where you weren't expecting it to be (like in your hand), especially with things like tomatoes, onions, winter squash.

I stabbed myself in the hand with a paring knife by mistake tonight trying to stab the avocado pit so I could get it out of the avocado. I got my hand instead because the doorbell was ringing and I was rushing. When working with knives of any kind it is not a good idea to be in a rush!

At first I was scared of using my 8" knife it but after I cut myself a little on my middle finger I stopped being scared of using it.

Last edited:
Keep your mind on the job. Mistakes happen when you are distracted.
On another note, I cook for a living and have cut myself many times over the last 30 years. Fingertips grow back, remarkably well.:LOL:

After years of watching TV chefs getting the paper off of garlic by smashing it with the flat of a blade, I finally decided to try it. I slashed the palm of my hand open! It amazes me that they give you warnings and pointers about almost everything, but not one of them said anything about making sure the edge of your knife is turned slightly downward.

You do really have to think about it when you are ready to hit it. Always keep in mind where the edge is.

After years of watching TV chefs getting the paper off of garlic by smashing it with the flat of a blade, I finally decided to try it. I slashed the palm of my hand open! It amazes me that they give you warnings and pointers about almost everything, but not one of them said anything about making sure the edge of your knife is turned slightly downward.

You do really have to think about it when you are ready to hit it. Always keep in mind where the edge is.

I don't hit the knife any more. I just put the heel of my hand on the side of the knife and squish the garlic by leaning on the flat of the blade.

I had been following Julia Child on TV. She said you have to say, "Wham!" as you hit the flat of the blade :) So, for a while, I did that. One day I was too enthusiastic and I hit the side of the knife opposite the edge too hard and got a cut!

Shrek, at one time, was positive I didn't go to work (in the restaurant) if I didn't come home with a new injury.

As I tell my kids if they ask me if I asm afraid to cut my self " I have 10 fingers, I can spear some even if cut some" - joking of course, BUt then it makes me not to worry. My favorite knife now days is 8" knife as I cannot lift my 12" one I injured me arm, and can barelu lift anything.

To inject a small bit of humor here, I once cut off the tip of my index finger while slicing some Portuguese sausage in Hawaii, at a friend's house. It simply would not stop bleeding, so off to the emergency room at Kanaohe MCAS. As they rushed me in, the doc (a woman) and the medic (a man) were talking. I overheard him asking why in the heck (hey, they were Navy/Marines, so heck wasn't the word) women were always coming in with knife wounds on the weekends. The doc replied (and again, expletives deleted), when was the last time YOU fixed a Sunday champagne brunch?

And, yes, copious amounts of champagne were involved.

While I don't know if dull knife cuts are worse than sharp knife cuts, I do believe you are less likely to cut yourself if your knife is good and sharp. It is less likely to slip off an onion or tomato.

To inject a small bit of humor here, I once cut off the tip of my index finger while slicing some Portuguese sausage in Hawaii, at a friend's house. It simply would not stop bleeding, so off to the emergency room at Kanaohe MCAS. As they rushed me in, the doc (a woman) and the medic (a man) were talking. I overheard him asking why in the heck (hey, they were Navy/Marines, so heck wasn't the word) women were always coming in with knife wounds on the weekends. The doc replied (and again, expletives deleted), when was the last time YOU fixed a Sunday champagne brunch?

And, yes, copious amounts of champagne were involved.

While I don't know if dull knife cuts are worse than sharp knife cuts, I do believe you are less likely to cut yourself if your knife is good and sharp. It is less likely to slip off an onion or tomato.

:LOL: So true!!

The cuts from a dull knife are often worse because people apply too much pressure to the knife to make it cut.

I cut myself dozens of times until I was given a set of decent Henckel knives. Suddenly, with properly sharp knives I didn't cut myself as often.

I learned proper cutting techniques from Graham Kerr on TV. Made all the difference in the world. Also, using the proper knife for the job makes a big difference, too.

(sidenote: Anyone else have a REALLY stupid pinky when you started cooking? :wacko:)

I just got my first "real" chef's knife last week. My first task with the knife was to dice an onion. I was really excited but also incredibly nervous. I think I was trying to be too careful. I didn't cut myself but I wasn't cutting very straight until I just relaxed and made a point to enjoy using the new knife. I can definitely see how a dull knife would inflict greater injury just because of the force that is put behind it. I love my new knife but also respect it :)

I've cut myself pretty bad before. And for a while, It did cause me to have fear that it could happen again. Just keep doing it, and eventually you'll get used to it. Just remember to always keep your finger tips curled inward while you're cutting vegetables etc. After a while, my fear did go away :)

I sliced a piece of my finger off on an electric meat slicer. While I was inspecting the damage, one of my coworkers cleaned the machine and threw the filet of finger in the garbage with the Black Forest Ham shavings. I had to rummage through the garbage and find it. I washed it off and put it back on my finger the best I could. Wrapped it up and went to the hospital where the doctor used 8 stitches to sew it back on:LOL:

Last edited:
I sliced a piece of my finger off on an electric meat slicer. While I was inspecting the damage, one of my coworkers cleaned the machine and threw the filet of finger in the garbage with the Black Forest Ham shavings. I had to rummage through the garbage and find it. I washed it off and put it back on my finger the best I could. Wrapped it up and went to the hospital where the doctor used 8 stitches to sew it back on:LOL:

:ohmy: :eek:

I'm glad it turned out okay.

:ohmy: :eek:

I'm glad it turned out okay.
Thanks! It was fine. You know what they say "No Brain, No Pain":neutral:

Actually, I put on a Latex glove and went back and finished my shift. The owner gave me a raise on my next cheque. :LOL: All's well that ends well.

And I learned that a piece of finger sure does resemble a piece of ham...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom