Never Have I Ever...Made This.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Never Have I Ever ... Made This

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

Boxed Cake Mix that called for softened BUTTER!!!
As we all may remember, Duncan Hines Cake Mix was in trouble a whiles back, and you didn't see it on the stores shelves.
I saw it in the local Wally-World and this was always my go-to mix.

But I've never made it this way before.
I've only made it with Vegetable Oil, not Butter.

IMG_0452.jpg

I must say that I am a bit skeptical, as the soft Butter did not fully incorporate into the batter :ermm:

IMG_0455.jpg

Looks good
Tastes good ... but it did take an extra 23 minutes over the recommended time for Higher Elevations. :huh:

View attachment 46436

View attachment 46437

Boxed Cake Mix that called for softened BUTTER!!!
As we all may remember, Duncan Hines Cake Mix was in trouble a whiles back, and you didn't see it on the stores shelves.
I saw it in the local Wally-World and this was always my go-to mix.

But I've never made it this way before.
I've only made it with Vegetable Oil, not Butter.

View attachment 46438

I must say that I am a bit skeptical, as the soft Butter did not fully incorporate into the batter :ermm:

View attachment 46439

Looks good
Tastes good ... but it did take an extra 23 minutes over the recommended time for Higher Elevations. :huh:

That's odd, I've always made that particular cake mix with softened butter or stick margarine. Don't remember ever seeing a vege oil option. That mix was always my go to when I was decorating cakes. It made such a nice combo with the buttercream. Never had any trouble incorporating butter into batter, but I always let it sit out until it was super soft, and i.used a mixer.

That's odd, I've always made that particular cake mix with softened butter or stick margarine. Don't remember ever seeing a vege oil option. That mix was always my go to when I was decorating cakes. It made such a nice combo with the buttercream. Never had any trouble incorporating butter into batter, but I always let it sit out until it was super soft, and i.used a mixer.

I did I bit of diggin', and found that that particular cake mix that I always used has been discontinued. I wonder why that is?

I just saw the word BUTTER and assumed that was it.
And yeah, I use my KA too, much easier.
Anyways, the cake came out fine.

Attachments

• duncan hines butter recipe cake mix.jpg
    duncan hines butter recipe cake mix.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
This is the way I've made boxed cakes for decades. I don't remember it ever calling for butter instead of oil.

cake-mix.jpg

I looked up Kgrl's cake mix and that variety DOES call for butter. I have never made that cake. We've made lots of other ones and none of them used butter.

butter-cake.jpg

Learned something new.

Last edited:
I agree MsM, ya learn somethin' new everyday!

I took a look in my pantry and have 2 boxes of my alternate brand of boxed cake mix, Betty Crocker.

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

Betty also now calls for Butter rather than Oil as it did in the past :huh:

But ya know, the recipe that I mostly use boxed mix for calls for Oil, so there's that ...

Did any of you ever use the Duncan Hines Moist and Easy Snack cake mixes or pretty much the same thing from Betty Crocker, the Snackin' Cakes? You poured the mix into a pan, added water, stirred with a fork and it was ready to be baked. They were delicious. I wonder why they quit making them.

Wine. My husband makes beer and I see lots of wine making equipment in the stores where he gets his supplies.
I keep thinking about it, but haven't had the time or motivation so far.

Yeah, I remember them too. Made just enough for a 'snack'!

Were those the ones that also used a can of pie fruit on top? or the bottom?

oh wait, did we put a can of pie fruit in an 8 x 8 and then sprinkle a bag of single cake mix on top?

then bake - I remember they were either really sweet or very rich, LOL

Yeah, I remember them too. Made just enough for a 'snack'!

Were those the ones that also used a can of pie fruit on top? or the bottom?

oh wait, did we put a can of pie fruit in an 8 x 8 and then sprinkle a bag of single cake mix on top?

then bake - I remember they were either really sweet or very rich, LOL

AKA Dump Cakes :yum:
I just saw a recipe on Pinterest for a Caramel Apple Dump Cake that looks and sounds wonderful!
Now I want CAKE!!!

dump cakes were a favorite at my house. Great combinations were blueberry pie filling, and white cake, cherry filling with chocolate cake, apple with spice cake, butter pecan filling with yellow cake, pineapple filling with coconut and yellowcake, lemon or key lime curd with angel food cake, strawberry, or raspberry with angel food cake, raspberry with chocolate, and there were others. You simply put the filling in. dumped the appropriate cake mix on top, drizzled a melted stick of butter on top, finished with chopped pecans, or walnuts, the baked at 350 for 20 min. Serve hot with ice cream. Yep, dump cakes were a thing.:yum:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Taxy, I found this :

View attachment 46828
(photo courtesy of Click Americana® Vintage & Retro Memories
I found that when I was checking on the names of those snack cakes. I thought they were really good. Everyone I served them to seemed to think so too. I preferred the ones from Duncan Hines. My favourite was spiced apple and raisins. If I'm not making the cake from scratch, I want it really easy, and these were. I used to make them in hotel rooms in a small electric skillet.

I wonder how a carrot cake batter would come out if cooked in a waffle iron.
I know that pumpkin pie batter, with added flour, and a little baking powder makes great waffles.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the north

Never have I ever.....

I swore I was going to do it....and I did it! I cooked and ATE a cicada!

The hardest part is finding the teneral adult (which is right when they emerge from the last pupa stage). (Adult cicadas are everywhere!) The exoskeleton has not yet hardened. They are white-ish in color. The wings are still a bit crumpled. After par-boiling my cicada, I removed the wings and legs, and then I fried it in a bit of chili oil and finished it with a splash of soy sauce.

The cicada was tender but not at all squishy or bug-like. The texture was similar to a perfectly-cooked shrimp. The taste was slightly shrimp-like with some undertones of almond.

As scary as it was, I actually liked it. These would be yummy in a stir-fry. Maybe I will make that when they return in another 17 years! :chef:

OR MAYBE I will make them for my weekend visitors!!!! :LOL:

Attachments

• 2021-05-25.jpg
    2021-05-25.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 2021-05-25 (2).jpg
    2021-05-25 (2).jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 2021-05-25 (1).jpg
    2021-05-25 (1).jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 2021-05-25 (3).jpg
    2021-05-25 (3).jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 67
Sounds great, Kathleen! I wish they were in this area, but alas, we are not in the area of the 17 year - just some others, that show up sporadically, and not in huge numbers.

Wow Kathleen! Sounds adventuresome. Good idea taking off the legs. The only time I ate an insect, it was a chocolate covered ant. It was not an improvement on the chocolate. The thing I most remember is that I hated getting the little legs (and antennae?) stuck in my teeth. I would definitely want to try this, minus legs and antennae.

Back
Top Bottom