Never Have I Ever...Made This.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One time, just one time, as a child, I was talked into eating an earthworm. I had aa half pint carton of milk that I'd just finished drinking. I took the worm, placed it into the empty carton, and lit it on fire. The worm was roasted n the heat. I popped it into my mouth and chewed it up, and actually swallowed it. I

To this day, it is singularly, the most disgusting flavor I have ever tasted. It explains why the term bird-brain is an insult. Birds love the worms. Don't try this at home kids:ohmy::ROFLMAO:.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Sounds great, Kathleen! I wish they were in this area, but alas, we are not in the area of the 17 year - just some others, that show up sporadically, and not in huge numbers.

I was here when they last emerged. At that time, I said I would try one if I was around when they returned. They are everywhere. I've been shaking them off the crops in my little garden daily. Some people have them blanketing their yards.

Wow Kathleen! Sounds adventuresome. Good idea taking off the legs. The only time I ate an insect, it was a chocolate covered ant. It was not an improvement on the chocolate. The thing I most remember is that I hated getting the little legs (and antennae?) stuck in my teeth. I would definitely want to try this, minus legs and antennae.

Yeah, I can see ants not improving the chocolate! I haunt a foraging group, so I followed the advice of par-boiling before using them and removing wings and legs. The taste and texture were not off-putting at all! If I had someone local to eat them with me, I think I might try the recipe for cicada tacos! I do enjoy shrimp tacos and think they would taste similar.

I agree sounds adventuresome.

I disagree in that I would try it, legs or not! :ROFLMAO:

Bah. Come on in. The water is fine.

One time, just one time, as a child, I was talked into eating an earthworm. I had aa half pint carton of milk that I'd just finished drinking. I took the worm, placed it into the empty carton, and lit it on fire. The worm was roasted n the heat. I popped it into my mouth and chewed it up, and actually swallowed it. I

To this day, it is singularly, the most disgusting flavor I have ever tasted. It explains why the term bird-brain is an insult. Birds love the worms. Don't try this at home kids:ohmy::ROFLMAO:.

Um....I have not considered worms. They give me heebie-jeebies.

A new thread could be started with -

Never will I EVER eat this disgusting thing again.​

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

My entry would be earthworms, if I ever had tried one - but I'm not trying it. :ROFLMAO: I am highly encouraged by your use of the word "again", Dragnlaw. Want to come over for a cicada taco? ;)

Last edited:
you know? Kathleen, I just might try to dip a toe in, :ermm: :wacko: :ohmy:
especially dressed up as a taco.

I've remembered my mom telling me she had chocolate cover grasshoppers in Africa once. Said they just tasted like chocolate covered crunchy. Nothing spectacular.

I couldn't tell you all those weird things I ate, while in college! It wasn't really for the flavor...

I saw something earlier on the news that cracked me up! It seems that many people, in those cicada infested areas, are calling 911 about the noise, and they are asking them to stop this. What do these idiots think they will be able to do about them, when they call 911???

locust, grasshoppers, ants, cicada swarms, capture, freeze, and store for hard times. :ohmy:

But seriously, that might not be a bad idea. They are full of proteins. Don't think I'll be doing this though.;) But then again, they would be great, used for fish bait.

Last edited:
you know? Kathleen, I just might try to dip a toe in, :ermm: :wacko: :ohmy:
especially dressed up as a taco.

I've remembered my mom telling me she had chocolate cover grasshoppers in Africa once. Said they just tasted like chocolate covered crunchy. Nothing spectacular.

YAY! Tell me when and I will go hunting for the teneral adults!

I couldn't tell you all those weird things I ate, while in college! It wasn't really for the flavor...

I saw something earlier on the news that cracked me up! It seems that many people, in those cicada infested areas, are calling 911 about the noise, and they are asking them to stop this. What do these idiots think they will be able to do about them, when they call 911???

Our "Nextdoor" app is filled with people who are complaining and asking what to do. I actually love the sound.

locust, grasshoppers, ants, cicada swarms, capture, freeze, and store for hard times. :ohmy:

But seriously, that might not be a bad idea. They are full of proteins. Don't think I'll be doing this though.;) But then again, they would be great, used for fish bait.

I'm adding this to my zombie apocalyptic skill set!

pepper, those complaints go right along with the woman calling City Hall to stop the Giant Poplar's from 'snowing' on them. She wanted them to cut them down. All of them...

I tried one package of scone mix, and made a couple from my "Simply Scones " cookbook. They all were dry to our tastes. Now I make them from the same cookbook, but I add more liquid than called for. Much better results.

I also think that my Nordic Ware cast aluminum scone pan helps. The outside of each scone is nicely crisp, but the inside is soft and moist. Perfect every time.

Last edited:
I tried one package of scone mix, and made a couple from my "Simply Scones " cookbook. They all were dry to our tastes. Now I make them from the same cookbook, but I add more liquid than called for. Much better results.

I also think that my Nordic Ware cast aluminum scone pan helps. The outside of each scone is nicely crisp, but the inside is soft and moist. Perfect every time.

Hmmm ...
Santa is coming soon enough, I'll add that to my list.
After all, I have been a very good girl this year :LOL:

Never have I ever made ...
Scones
My Mother was over the Moon!
DH & I, meh, not so much really.
Seemed like dry American Drop Biscuits to me.
It made a bunch, so I'm taking some next door to share.
I don´t know what recipe you used, but they do not look at all like scones, I´m afraid.
Firstly, they look sort of grey; and secondly, no self-respecting Brit would ever serve scones with sauce on top.:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
Scones are very similar to (US) biscuits - the difference is the use of buttermilk and less sugar.
Scones are basically flour, butter, milk, egg and baking powder. Here are the ones I made a few weeks ago:
The Queen´s Scones.jpg
If you´d like the recipe, I´m only too happy to post it.
Scones are usually served warm, with butter, jam (jelly) and cream. There are savoury scones, however - usually with cheese, but sometimes with bacon.

I don´t know what recipe you used, but they do not look at all like scones, I´m afraid.
Firstly, they look sort of grey; and secondly, no self-respecting Brit would ever serve scones with sauce on top.:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
Scones are very similar to (US) biscuits - the difference is the use of buttermilk and less sugar.
Scones are basically flour, butter, milk, egg and baking powder. Here are the ones I made a few weeks ago:
View attachment 48763
If you´d like the recipe, I´m only too happy to post it.
Scones are usually served warm, with butter, jam (jelly) and cream. There are savoury scones, however - usually with cheese, but sometimes with bacon.

Kara, I used a mix
IMG_0871.jpg
I also drizzled a glaze over the tops.
Mom prefers her Scones split with soft Butter, Curd and or Clotted Cream and Jam, my homemade stuff mostly, or my Homemade Meyer Lemon Curd :yum:
I myself am not a fan, but a good daughter just the same. :chef:

Try them home-made. You won´t be disappointed.
I confess I´m a lousy baker in general - but these come out perfect every single time and last for a very short time.
Lemon curd? Oh yes - that´d be great!

Back
Top Bottom