New electric slide-in range

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Friendlyman4349

Assistant Cook
I am going to ask my fellow cookers a simple question I have only access to electric to use to cook with. I bought a 30 inch Viking Electric Range for the commercial look and what I thought was the dependability. The short of it is the Range is no good and despite hundreds of dollars of repairs I have decided to part ways with it Any recommendations for an electric range slide in or stand alone would be appreciated.

It will be placed between cabinets and needs to have the dials up front stainless steel with a black glass cook top not induction.

GE makes a variety of lines that are usually highly rated. You can go from basic to pro style. I love my Samsung, but they are very limited in their range of models, and GE would top my list if I had to replace it.

Mine's a GE and I love it. It's the second GE I've bought since owning a home. Our first house came without appliances and we bought GE then. When we had to replace the range in this house, we went with GE again. I looked at a lot of appliances and really liked the GE the best. It's ceramic stove top with conventional oven but does come with convection oven and double oven varieties.

New electric slide in range

I have a GE with black glass top, never had a problem with it. Love that it's so easy to clean.

Last edited:
We just purchased a new gas GE range and I love love love it!
What a total bummer to have that much money invested in an expensive Viking range!
I'd be stomping mad to be sure!

Do any of those have the controls up front like the OP asked for? Seems like most of the common electrics I've used have all of that in back.

I see on the Best Buy website a Samsung 30" slide in glass top with controls up front HERE. It's pricey at about $1500.

Another Samsung HERE for $1800.

Still a third Samsung for $2000 HERE

HERE'S an LG for $1619

All of those are on the Best Buy website. There may be more. I only went through 4 pages. In the same price range there was also one Whirlpool, but I've had both Samsung and Whirlpool, and the Samsung was miles ahead of the Whirlpool. Just my opinion for whatever that's worth.

Sears.com

Induction Ranges For Fast Cooking - Consumer Reports Video Hub

Samsung Flex Duo Chef Collection 30" SelfCleaning SlideIn Double Oven Electric Convection Induction Range StainlessStainless look NE58H9970WS - Best Buy

The advantage of instant temperature change, like gas, but electric, more efficient, and cool to the touch, even at highest temperature setting, until a steel or iron pot is placed on the burner. Then, only the pot gets hot, and the place where the pot sits, as the metal from the pot heats what it is sitting on. Were I in the market for a new range, induction is the way I'd go.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Sears.com

Induction Ranges For Fast Cooking - Consumer Reports Video Hub

Samsung Flex Duo Chef Collection 30" SelfCleaning SlideIn Double Oven Electric Convection Induction Range StainlessStainless look NE58H9970WS - Best Buy

The advantage of instant temperature change, like gas, but electric, more efficient, and cool to the touch, even at highest temperature setting, until a steel or iron pot is placed on the burner. Then, only the pot gets hot, and the place where the pot sits, as the metal from the pot heats what it is sitting on. Were I in the market for a new range, induction is the way I'd go.

Except that the OP was quite specific about not wanting induction. He may have several pots that can't be used on one.

I certainly don't care for the idea myself, but I'm a confirmed gas cook. I like that I can still use the top of the range even if the power is out (just have to light the burner with a match). It came in very handy when we lived in the Bahamas, where electrical power is still inconsistent at best.

Do any of those have the controls up front like the OP asked for? Seems like most of the common electrics I've used have all of that in back.

I see on the Best Buy website a Samsung 30" slide in glass top with controls up front HERE. It's pricey at about $1500.

Another Samsung HERE for $1800.

Still a third Samsung for $2000 HERE

HERE'S an LG for $1619

All of those are on the Best Buy website. There may be more. I only went through 4 pages. In the same price range there was also one Whirlpool, but I've had both Samsung and Whirlpool, and the Samsung was miles ahead of the Whirlpool. Just my opinion for whatever that's worth.

I would say that if they want front controls on an electric, that a drop in/ slide in might be their only choice, it's quite rare to find a regular electric range with front controls.

I absolutely love my Samsung, it does everything very well. For a company who's main business isn't cooking appliances, they did a really good job with this range.

Last edited:
Clark Howard has warned consumers for years about buying high end appliances.
His suggestion was to buy an appliance that the manufacturer has had time to perfect. An appliance that they made 1000's of. Less expensive models with better repair histories. In other words he meant reliable inexpensive appliances that have been proving themselves over and over.

I too own a simple GE electric range. We have had it since we moved into this house over 20 years ago.
Its still in fine shape although it needs replacement of the drip pans that reside under the burners.
The timer button is a little messed up and you have to push it the correct/special way to get it to count up.
Other than that and that its electric, i would surely recommend it to the average household cook.

Last edited:
Except that the OP was quite specific about not wanting induction. He may have several pots that can't be used on one.

I certainly don't care for the idea myself, but I'm a confirmed gas cook. I like that I can still use the top of the range even if the power is out (just have to light the burner with a match). It came in very handy when we lived in the Bahamas, where electrical power is still inconsistent at best.

Oops.:blush: Missed that last couple of words - no induction. Sorry about that.

I just replaced my DACOR dual fuel with a new one. It's 15 years old and never missed a beat. So I bought another DACOR. I looked at induction, but there were a surprising number of use limitations.

I did however, play it safe and purchased an extended warranty. Full coverage for 5 years.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom