New guy :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ElectroEvolution

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone! My name is Jay and I am freshly new to this forum. I have heard great things of this forum from my father who attended Le Cordon Bleu in Chicago. I have decided that becoming a great chef is for sure something I really want to be a part of....but unfortunately, I know nothing about how to cook. All I know is how to grill a chicken breast/ hamburger/ and hotdog. I really want to pursue something great and culinary arts is definetly great. Starting off, I would like to know your opinions on a good way to get started, be it getting Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Cooking Guide book or something else. Thank you all for keeping up this great forum and thank you for responding to me if you do :)

Welcome to DC! Peruse the forum, we have several members who have gone or are going to culinary school. You might start with a good basic cook book.

Last edited:
Welcome to DC. If you are looking for a basic cookbook, then I would go with The Joy of Cooking.

Welcome to DC :)

I like America's Test Kitchen books because they describe the science of cooking, as well as provide lots of tested recipes. I love their magazine, too. I've been reading it for over a dozen years.

Welcome to DC! JoC is my go-to, but I also like several others. Watching some of the cooking shows on PBS can be very inspirational as well.

Ill definetly check out the listed books. I always watch cooking shows on pbs. I love hells kitchen, kitchen nightmares, sometimes bar rescue, etc. What would be a good school to go to? My dad went to Le Cordon Bleu but he said that i should go to the Art institute right across the street (chicago) because they are cheaper to attend and offer the same degrees. Thx for posting so far :)

Back
Top Bottom