New here from Chicago!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmepayne

Assistant Cook
Born and raised in Texas, transplanted in Chicago.
I love to cook but am looking to expand my horizons. Recently joined a CSA and get a weekly produce box. Every week I get a veggie or two I've never eaten and must figure out what to do with it! :ermm:

this week... BEETS

Hey there and welcome to DC!
YUM to beets! I roast them, as well as pickle them.
Love to hear about those who get their daily items from local farms - totally cool!
PS: bf was born/raised in Chicago, then moved to TX before his big adventure out to SoCal where he is now. I envy both of those places for spectacular food!

welcome, jme.

for the beets, how about boiling then skinning, then grating them, and mix the grated beets with some hot horseradish. you can also mix in some chunks of farmer's cheese, or crumbled feta.

it's a slovakian dish my mil made every easter.

Last edited:
welcome to our friendly foodie forum, jm!:) i too am getting a portion of my food from local farmers and specialty vendors. the idea of trying new-to-you veggies and fruits every week sounds exciting and fun to take on! i like beets, especially pickled with onions. they are a nice addition to salads of all kinds. i like to incorporate them in a basic potato salad (mayo or sour cream based), together with chopped dill pickles, radishes and eggs. let us know what you come up with....:)

Welcome to DC! Love pickled beets, my gramma made some that would set your teeth on edge!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom