New Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purelyapple

Assistant Cook
Hello, I'm Lorie from Nebraska. I'm a student taking Culinary Arts classes to be a chef for the homeless. I have 3 grown boys that are married and I have 4 grand babies. 2 girls and 2 boys.

You've come to the right place for expert advice and lots of opinions. :)
I'm in the 'latter' category. LOL

Welcome to DC! A friend of mine was a pastry chef. She introduced a program at women's shelters where she taught (as a volunteer) "how to cook from scratch" cooking classes to help those in transition prepare healthier meals that cost less to prepare. Part of the program included taking the women grocery shopping (using food vouchers--the equivalent of food stamps in the US) and menu planning (again, based on what could be 'purchased' using the food vouchers). I think what you are doing is very admirable.

Last edited:
hilo lori, we're glad to have you join us here at dc. i can't tell you how thrilled (and surprised) i am, to hear that we are training actual Chefs to cook for the homeless. this, to me, is an indication of a positive change of attitudes in our society toward the poor and the homeless people among us.

Thank you all for the warm welcome... I'm looking forward to getting to know you all. Thanks again.

Hi Lori. My sister was called Lori also. I miss her. She was a great cook. I donate food every month to our local food bank. You have come to a great place to make friends. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom