New member from NJ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pellice

Cook
Hello Fellow Cooks -

I was searching for an online bulletin board for cooks, and found Discuss Cooking! I am looking forward to contributing. I like the bulletin board format for in depth discussion.

I am a single cook and have cooked for one almost all my life. There are many positives to this - I can freely experiment, I can eat the same thing day after day until I use it up, I can be either economical or buy a single expensive steak at will. I like cooking for one!

The negatives are that I never learned to get all components of a meal done at once (how did my mother do that?!) and that I tend to get lazy and go for Simple.

I'm now retired, so I finally have time to cook as much as I please. This bulletin board seems like a very rich resource, and I hope to dive in.

So I'll start by saying that today's recipe (which will be tomorrow's supper) was a spinach cheese soup, made with spinach harvested from my fall garden, which came out wonderfully - you can't go wrong with butter and cheese and spinach. The recipe called for heavy cream as well, but I am going to be very sparing with that, as the soup is rich already. I'll have it with a slice of bread and a salad. I wonder if I toasted some walnuts as a garnish, would that add or detract?

Welcome to the forum, pellice, from a fellow Jerseyite! (is that a word??)
Are you anywhere near my town?

No, I'm up in Central NJ. I do go through Woodbury occasionally though on my birding trips.

One thing you can say about NJ is there is no lack of food of any sort. I realized recently that I get probably half of my perishables - meat, dairy, produce - from local farms. And any ethnic cuisine you can think of - though whether these cuisines are authentic - or just the general deep fried mishmash (I'm looking at you, empanandas) - is debatable.

Hi pell, Welcome to DC. I'm also from Jersey, now living in MT. I need Taylor Ham, lol
WHOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!! You said it right! Taylor Ham! NOT Taylors ham.

BTW I'm for North Jersey and I say "Jersey-ian". I think either way is right.

Welcome to the forum!!

No, I'm up in Central NJ. I do go through Woodbury occasionally though on my birding trips.

One thing you can say about NJ is there is no lack of food of any sort. I realized recently that I get probably half of my perishables - meat, dairy, produce - from local farms. And any ethnic cuisine you can think of - though whether these cuisines are authentic - or just the general deep fried mishmash (I'm looking at you, empanandas) - is debatable.
Do you grow any of your foods? After all, NJ is the garden state! lol

It is incredible how all of those ethnic grocers are now all over NJ. I used to have to go to NYC to stock up on Mexican food, in the late 70s/early 80s. Late 80s it was Avondale,PA. Early 2,000s the small Mexican grocers started appearing in this area, and several years ago one opened right here in town! A lot of other ethnic grocers are in the area now - things I used to have to go to Philly or elsewhere for.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom