New Poultry Shears

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Just received my new OXO poultry shears. I've made do without for a long time but as arthritis worsens, I cannot manage to cut through bone as easily as before. So I did my research and found these are the highest rated (by serious eats.com). Now I can consider doing a spatchcocked turkey for Thanksgiving.
oxo.jpg

I'll be waiting to hear your rating of those shears, after the TG turkey. Mine are in bad shape, though given their age, don't owe me anything.

I cut my bird from the side if the neck to the end and again on the other side. It did not want to flaten out and stay. I put a heavy skillet on top and put it in the oven. As it heated, it did flatten and did not need the weight. I felt lucky that the skillet did not stick or leave a mark.

I cut my bird from the side if the neck to the end and again on the other side. It did not want to flaten out and stay. I put a heavy skillet on top and put it in the oven. As it heated, it did flatten and did not need the weight. I felt lucky that the skillet did not stick or leave a mark.
After cutting down either side of the backbone and removing it, you turn the bird over and press down hard on the breast causing it to break so the bird will lie flat.

I would appreciate a review of these, Andy. Like you, my age is showing up in my hands. It's probably long past time I replaced my kitchen sheers.
Agree. I need a new pair as well. I mean I want a new pair. The one I have still works good and I am not even sure what brand it is. I need to slow down on immediate gratification purchases.
I already expect a hefty credit card invoice this month. So its next month!
It seems I buy everything online these days with Amazon being the account I use the most.

After cutting down either side of the backbone and removing it, you turn the bird over and press down hard on the breast causing it to break so the bird will lie flat.
I watched a chef remove the "wishbone" and another bone or cartilage that allowed the breast to lay flat without any effort. I also saw someone explain removing the "wishbone" for easier carving. I need to research this.
I am considering spatchcock or sections this year as far as turkey. Carving a warm bird seems to be biggest gripe with turkey. Its messy and difficult.
On Cooks Country they did sections with the stuffing underneath. Seems like a good idea?

I bought a pair of shears 15 years ago that look very similar to Andy's. Used them non stop for everything. One day somebody tried to open a quart of oil and one of the tongs broke off. Then that same person ask to borrow a pitch to pour the oil into just in case parts might be in the oil can. They replaced them only to break the new ones trying to remove a cork!

I bought a pair of shears 15 years ago that look very similar to Andy's. Used them non stop for everything. One day somebody tried to open a quart of oil and one of the tongs broke off. Then that same person ask to borrow a pitch to pour the oil into just in case parts might be in the oil can. They replaced them only to break the new ones trying to remove a cork!
Sounds like my ex-husband. I have some enamelled, cast iron pots. I was trying to explain that he shouldn't scrub them with an abrasive scrubber or or leave them where the uncoated bottom of the pan was sitting in wet and would rust. "Well then, I just won't use them." My reply of "Thank you." was met with shock. Some months later he apologized and admitted that they were sufficiently superior for cooking a number of dishes that they were worth be careful with.

Sounds like my ex-husband. I have some enamelled, cast iron pots. I was trying to explain that he shouldn't scrub them with an abrasive scrubber or or leave them where the uncoated bottom of the pan was sitting in wet and would rust. "Well then, I just won't use them." My reply of "Thank you." was met with shock. Some months later he apologized and admitted that they were sufficiently superior for cooking a number of dishes that they were worth be careful with.
Someone here on DC had a lid stuck on a pot a few months ago!

I'm still using a very cheap pair I got somewhere. Work great on most bones. I also have my mother's shears. Have to be careful to dry as they rust. Big flat metal coil works them, but I also am having trouble with the hands. Crushing motion just doesn't work the same anymore. :cry:

Stuck lid was my DIL, son managed to just give it a good whack and it popped out. Only a slight dent on the pot (she didn't care, it was a cheap one) it was the lid she wanted to preserve.

I used my new poultry shears for the first time on a small whole chicken (about 3½ Lbs). I was able to snip my way down one side of the backbone and back up the other side so I could flip it over and press it flat. The shears worked great. Cutting through the bones was fairly simple.

Of course, it will be a lot harder cutting through an 18+ pound turkey. I will report back the end of the week.

I used my new poultry shears for the first time on a small whole chicken (about 3½ Lbs). I was able to snip my way down one side of the backbone and back up the other side so I could flip it over and press it flat. The shears worked great. Cutting through the bones was fairly simple.

Of course, it will be a lot harder cutting through an 18+ pound turkey. I will report back the end of the week.
Thank you for the review. Will be interested in the turkey review.
I put these shears and the unserrated steak knives you purchased on my wish list.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom