NEW SMOKER UP DATE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Northsmoke said:
Ok step one of the big smoker build is almost over, below is my new little shack made from recycling large shipping crates.
I took the crate apart cleaned out the nails and stacked the new lumber.
Then I built it in about 4 days total, I still have to finish one wall and install the door but I ran into some cold bad weather. Between the nails, 12 studs and the roof shingles, the total cost $70 tops. [smilie=a_goodjob.gif]
You can see the good ol smoker still standin and an old fire box which is no longer around.
Once the shack is done, down comes ol' smokey and I'm going to install a stockade fence from the shed to the left, around the back of ol'smokey and down to about that old fire box. THEN we build the new mega smoker [smilie=banana.gif] about wear the fire box is!

Any new progress?

New Smoker Up Date

Well, it's been a long wait but the time is drawing near and we will be start the big build on that smoker soon.
The weather of course has screwed things up big time, the only thing I was able to get done during some nice weather was ... if you look at the first pictures the walls of the shed were not finished. I managed to get a little more done buy adding the lattice work for some rose bushes to grow on, but still need to finish that left side with a double swing open door.

Another change is you may have noticed is the first pics, there was a BIG hickory just to the right next to the shed .... well found a bad spot in the base of it so she came down, just another hold up! [smilie=a_doh.gif] But I did manage to get all the split and stacked as well as make the metal rack it is stacked in, got me close to 2 cords that pile is 3 rows 16 feet long by 5 feet wide, also got some cherry wood as well, that was stacked in the earlier pics. [smilie=a_goodjobson.gif]

Now as soon as this snow [smilie=lol_xtreme.gif] melts, Im a gonna start working again.

img_93713_0_1032f72d3f81ccda33d069554588e84d.jpg
img_93713_1_e0239863a0f9a0dca96e18ad1c73669b.jpg

Got my fair well batch of kielbasi in the smoker then she's off to junk yard, sure gonna miss the ol gal.
Then right after Easter, I start building the new one.

I know, I know! What's taking so long with this big build?
Well, life been craaaazy lately [smilie=a_makeitstop.gif] what can I say.

Anyway, found a beautiful little wood burning stove and was wondering could this be my offset smoke box for my new smoker.

What your advise everyone...will it or can it work? :scratch

Ok, here is the small wood burning stove I found....what do ya think? Can it be used as an offset smoke box.

I thinking the smoker itself will be 3ft x 3ft square and 6ft top to bottom [smilie=banana.gif] (YAH BABY!)
And Ill offset the stove 6ft ??? [smilie=a_whyme.gif]

Lets get crackin on this smoker, if the stove will make a good smoke box then lets design the smoker around it.

All ideas welcome! And I hope the pic is good quality.
img_101723_0_38c7fd241949f28970a7b3a955391012.jpg

Oh and check out the threesome I had recently [smilie=bowdown.gif]
img_101723_1_735d608b25b658f672bb4836ae56b1a0.jpg

Northsmoke said:
Ok, here is the small wood burning stove I found....what do ya think? Can it be used as an offset smoke box.

I thinking the smoker itself will be 3ft x 3ft square and 6ft top to bottom [smilie=banana.gif] (YAH BABY!)
And Ill offset the stove 6ft ??? [smilie=a_whyme.gif]

Lets get crackin on this smoker, if the stove will make a good smoke box then lets design the smoker around it.

All ideas welcome! And I hope the pic is good quality.
img_101770_0_38c7fd241949f28970a7b3a955391012.jpg

Oh and check out the threesome I had recently [smilie=bowdown.gif]
img_101770_1_735d608b25b658f672bb4836ae56b1a0.jpg

I can see ya threesome just fineeeeeeeeee and would love to be part of it.....but your other pic....can't see a thing! ;)

Ok the sun is out finally [smilie=a_bravo.gif]
Here's the new pics of the stove that I found and want to use as my offset smoke box.
If you think it will work let me know and I would welcome ideas on what type and how I should build the actual smoker. All ideas welcome!
I do like both cold smoking as well as hot smoking so if ya think I can build a combo unit let's do it!
Also, I want to build the actual smoker or smoke house out of wood like a 3ft x 3ft x 6ft height shack, help me out guys! [smilie=a_help.gif]
img_102194_0_087d188a896bacf95ab5af72fbc8df7e.jpg
img_102194_1_f61d603795b028221b3ee2a2f21adae1.jpg

My current offset uses a woodstove about the same size, and in my opinion, its way to small. ymmv

john pen said:
My current offset uses a woodstove about the same size, and in my opinion, its way to small. ymmv

My offset cooker I used is a LOT bigger then that too. BUT....... you just want it for a smokehouse at low temps right?... you might be OK...but also might be tending it more then you'd like. Another ..BUT....if you use this as the starting point and it doesn't work out.... you don't have much work into replacing it....it's just a connection to a common stovepipe........right?????

Are you doing an outside the smokehouse setup with the woodstove/smoke part...or are you putting directly inside the smokehouse?

Yah, Im planning on having the stove outside the smokehouse structure.
I surprized you guys are saying this stove will be to small, I thought it was going to be big.

maybe it just looks small in the pics....

Ya know what they always say about woodstoves in pictures don't ya????

They say it looks like they lost at least 20 pounds! ;) :LOL:

Seriously though, what are the dimensions of it?

The stove even though it has a square top and bottom, is round.
It is 14 inch in diameter with a 16 inch chamber to burn wood = 14 x 16...
the rest is 8 inches below for ash dump, giving it an overall height of 24 inches.

For the smokehouse I'm hoping for 3ft x 3ft x 6ft h, what's that equal 54 cubic ft.
It will be a wood structure with maybe some type of insulation, like an outhouse type looking thing :?:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom