New WSM Do YOU HAVE SOME TIP OR TRICKS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Norm,

Use the Minion Method to start your fire and remember to control your temps on the way up. Much easier than trying to fight them back down.

Buy the Brinkmann Charcoal pan to replace the Weber water pan. Don't use water, use sand in the pan. You'll get differing opinions here.

Get yourself a couple reliable digital thermometers to start off with. If you have a Target store or a Bed,Bath & Beyond store, they carry them, will help you monitor your pit and meat temps. They're about $16 and some change.

1st cook - do some ribs, buy some spares, trim 'em up throw some rub on them, start your fire, put them on the cooker and let them go for about 6 or 7 hours

Lastly RELAX, ENJOY, HAVE FUN, TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES.

Put the access door upside down.
Put a piece of tape on the knob where the closed position is.
If you're using water...get yourself one of those long stemmed watering cans for easy refills.
Don't constantly adjust the vents. Make an adjust, wait 10-15 minutes.
If your WSM is on a wooden deck, put something under it. An oil pan works great.

I spray my grates with a cooking spray. Seems to help the cleaning process for me. Umm the next day usually.

ScottyDaQ said:
Larry Wolfe said:
ScottyDaQ said:
Why? I've never heard this one. Not saying it's wrong, just curious as to why?

Spose to give a better seal, especially when the bending trick doesn't work.worked for me.

How would it give a better seal? It's covering the same hole? I put mine on right side up. Worked for me! :)

Larry Wolfe said:
ScottyDaQ said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":2d8twl47]
ScottyDaQ said:

Spose to give a better seal, especially when the bending trick doesn't work.worked for me.

How would it give a better seal? It's covering the same hole? I put mine on right side up. Worked for me! :)[/quote:2d8twl47]

Not really a seal I guess... just cuts down on the amount of smoke coming from the top of the door. :) :) :)

Larry Wolfe said:
ScottyDaQ said:

Larry, there was a guy, about a year ago, that posted this on the BBQForum, that he put his access door on upside down and the next comp he went to he took 2nd in ribs and 3rd in chicken and OF COURSE, it was all because he inverted the door.

It does help if you don't have a good seal at the top.

Bruce B said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":17p6twui]
ScottyDaQ said:

Larry, there was a guy, about a year ago, that posted this on the BBQForum, that he put his access door on upside down and the next comp he went to he took 2nd in ribs and 3rd in chicken and OF COURSE, it was all because he inverted the door.

It does help if you don't have a good seal at the top.[/quote:17p6twui]

Okay Finney you hear this??? We're cooking at Smoke on the Beach in September with all of our doors upside down! Guaranteed in the money! 8-[

Bruce B said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":31jaask8]
ScottyDaQ said:

It does help if you don't have a good seal at the top.[/quote:31jaask8]
Damn, I had to read that a 2nd time...I thought you were talking about Cappy saying he invented the door... 8-[

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Bruce B":ddxlheab][quote="Larry Wolfe":ddxlheab]
ScottyDaQ said:

It does help if you don't have a good seal at the top.[/quote:ddxlheab]

Okay Finney you hear this??? We're cooking at Smoke on the Beach in September with all of our doors upside down! Guaranteed in the money! 8-[[/quote:ddxlheab]
I wrote it down so we would remember. #-o

The Joker said:
[quote="Bruce B":v8pixfn1][quote="Larry Wolfe":v8pixfn1]
ScottyDaQ said:

It does help if you don't have a good seal at the top.[/quote:v8pixfn1]
Damn, I had to read that a 2nd time...I thought you were talking about Cappy saying he invented the door... 8-[[/quote:v8pixfn1]
Cappy did invent the WSM access door. Temp control was a bitch before that. Just a big open hole... no way to control air flow. :)

Bruce B said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":tx2kqvml]
ScottyDaQ said:

It does help if you don't have a good seal at the top.[/quote:tx2kqvml]

But then wouldn't you not have a good seal at the bottom?

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Bruce B":vagaq8pj][quote="Larry Wolfe":vagaq8pj]
ScottyDaQ said:

It does help if you don't have a good seal at the top.[/quote:vagaq8pj]

But then wouldn't you not have a good seal at the bottom?[/quote:vagaq8pj]

Finally Nick said something that makes sense!

Seriously, Scotty I'm not discounting what you're saying, I just don't see the rationale. But to be fair, I'll try it on my next cook.

Back
Top Bottom