New Year's Eve/Day menu plans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whiskadoodle

Executive Chef
What's going on with you all New Year's Eve / New Year's Day. Looking at another thread for a New Year's Eve party, I thought I better start thinking this direction too. I had to go back and look at what we did last year for NYE. DC threads have a better memory than I do. ( we had chix quesadillas and an afternoon movie, don't remember the movie. I'm sure we enjoyed it.)

New Year's Eve first-- An early dinner and movies and home well before midnight. We are not late night people.

This is what I think I will offer to make.

1) Rock Cornish game hens/ baby brussel sprouts, and ???

2) KL's carnitas enchiladas. If so, I need to go shopping manana so I can make carnitas on Wednesday in advance.

3) Snacky things. crackers cheese, sliced salamis, pesto, herring, lefse, some smoked fish deal, and if a main dish is wanted, I could make Swedish meatballs. Between our refrigerators, we would hardly need to go shopping.
--
4) When I mention enchiladas, Dx will probably offer up enchiladas suizas. She makes the best chicken enchiladas.

5) Other ideas she may have. Between us we will have a small feast, I'm sure.

New Year's Day. I'm hoping snacky things I think we are going to BIL's, the same who just hosted Christmas dinner. I am sure we will bring something. Otherwise, football/ snacks at home.

What have you got up your creative sleeves to celebrate the New Year ?

Goober is heading into Akron with friends. Loverly is headed to her guy friend's Man Garage (quad garage: one half for cars, one half fully insulated and heated with all the accoutrements of a man cave). That's OK, Himself and I are old and only want to watch TV. New Year's Eve is Bowl Games! We stocked up on various cheeses when we made our pilgrimage to West Side Market. I'll get a nice crusty baguette that I can heat in the oven, we'll load up on fruit, both fresh and fermented, and watch TV all evening. Won't be too-too late, though, since Ohio State is playing at 1:00PM on New Year's Day. Then the party starts all over again! Except I'll be making kielbasa and sauerkraut for dinner that evening for all of us.

SO and I will have a quiet night at home. We'll have some apps and a bottle of bubbly. We usually have shrimp cocktail, marinated herring, maybe some deviled eggs.

NYE will be various snacks. Shrimp, kielbasa coins, stuffed mushrooms, fresh veggies with dip. Maybe a tall glass of whiskey and sugar free ginger ale! ;)

NYD the current plan is to make a lasagna type casserole and a salad.

This could all change. I've also been thinking about a piece of fried haddock on NYE and a boneless ribeye with a salad for NYD. The only constant seems to be the tall glass of whiskey and sugar free ginger ale! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

NYE small, quiet family get together at my house with rib roast served. Nothing wild happening this year.

NYD family and friends get together at daughter's house to watch college bowl games and movies. They've been wanting to see 'Joy' and a couple of others. Food wise, mostly finger foods all day long I guess....

Steve, I just looked through the link - wow, what a fun and interesting experience that will be! Looking forward to reading your review afterwards. :)
--------------------------------
I don't have any special plans for NYE - I always just stay safe at home and have a quiet evening. Sometimes I'll make it to midnight, but usually not. :sleep::LOL:
My brother is coming over NYD and we'll have an early afternoon dinner, probably around 2. We're having my homemade chili, freshly made tamales from the local Latino ladies, and jalapeno cheddar corn bread. Maybe a few Modelos with lime. :)

Last edited:
Gosh, Steve, we've always driven right by there. Glad to see you are going exploring.
-- -- --

We voted today for NY eve. And it was not a tie vote this time, although I feel I am getting off easy. Dx says she has almost everything.

We are having pesto chicken skewers marinated, then baked with roasted cherry tomatoes. I have to bring bamboo skewers.

Mixed green salad with some combination of cucumber, olives, red onion,
possibly jarred artichokes, avocado and vinaigrette.

She is making baked custard rice pudding ( didn't make for Christmas) with Molasses kisses. Betcha dollars to donuts half the kisses are missing. LOL.

Snacky things during an afternoon movie and I am bringing a box of Goldfish , a surprise, cheap though it is. It is one of her favorite crackers. Maybe more cookies if we watch another movie after dinner.

Great sounding menus, everyone. Wishing everyone a warm and safe New Years Eve and a happy and healthy 2016. can't believe it's almost 2016 already....:ohmy:

Whisk...your goodies for both days sound so good. :yum:

A quiet simple night and day with just the two of us is planned here. We both love watching the early morning Rose Parade.

There will never be a more memorable NYE for me, than welcoming in 2008 on the Danube in Austria with rocket fireworks from both sides of the river over our heads drinking Champagne on the top deck of our river cruise ship, a month after we were married. There's no way to ever top that! Sigh.

Oven roasted pork ribs will be the order for the first day of 2016, and maybe a few Black Eye peas with greens for good luck.

We're most likely heading to a sports bar NYD. DH's beloved Hawkeyes are in the Rose Bowl this year. NYE we'll run around bar hopping.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom