New Year's Food...what are YOU serving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
It's hard to believe New Year's is once again almost here!
Every year we host a game night for friends so we generally serve all kinds of appetizers and finger foods. I've not yet completed my list of goodies, so I thought I'd see what was on everyone else's menu first....

Hey jkath!!! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!!

BTW, I got your camera for Christmas. I still have to figure out all the settings though. Thanks for letting me know what you had. I love it!!

We are having New Years at sisters with her 50th b-day party. We'll be having hot wings, finger sandwiches, dips, fruit tray etc...
It should be fun, I hope!!

not sure yet if my bro and sil are going to babysit for us. wow! it'll be our first night out together, sans bambino, in almost 2 years.

i know we both want to go out for korean bbq, but that is a bit rushed, and we agreed that we want to really savor our evening. lots of courses, lots of glasses of wine, really slow it down and enjoy it. we may even have a conversation that doesn't include "get that out of your mouth" or "what's that smell? uh, oh, did you bring the wipes?". :)

Well it is probably just my wife and myself and the baby this year unless we decide to take the grandparents up on their babysitting offer. I think we will probably stay home and make some cheese fondue.

Glad you like the camera!

Word to the wise: buy extra batteries!!!!!!!!!
(Mine ran out just as we arrived for the big Christmas Eve get together and I didn't get to take many photos!)

You'll love it, I promise!

I forgot to mention what was on my list so far - whoops!
I'm dipping a ton of stuff in white and dark chocolate with my new chocolate dipper (like pretzels, nuts, dried fruits, teddy grahams, etc...)
Also, lots of different cheeses, veggies, and probably a couple of Paula Deen's holiday pecan recipes.

Here's a quickie dip that is really good, btw:

1 8oz pkg cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp mayonnaise
2 Tbsp sour cream
1 pkg dry ranch dressing mix

Mix together & enjoy!

We'll be home w/ the baby (2 years 'till we get out, bucky?! :shock: ) I think we'll get the stuffed salmon we like from costco, a little shrimp tray for hubby, and fruit & cheeses. New Years Day is pizza & hoagies.

I usually just do the basic gruyer, ementhaller, standard fondue, and sometimes I even cheat and buy the already made cheese fondue (they sell it in the cheese counter at my super market) that comes in a pouch and you just cut it open and heat in your fondue pot. Maybe I will do something a little different this year though. I will let you know if I find/try something good jkath :chef:

We've been invited to two parties on the 30th... but nothing on New Years Eve. I think we'll stay home and be quiet and calm this year. Maybe, we'll make some home made pizza. After all the food I cooked on Christmas... we're not really feeling like a big fancy meal.

PA Baker said:
We'll be home w/ the baby (2 years 'till we get out, bucky?! :shock: ) .

PA, why do you think we have our game nights at home? My 13 year old still isn't old enough to babysit his brother past dark!

buckytom said:
not sure yet if my bro and sil are going to babysit for us. wow! it'll be our first night out together, sans bambino, in almost 2 years.

i know we both want to go out for korean bbq, but that is a bit rushed, and we agreed that we want to really savor our evening. lots of courses, lots of glasses of wine, really slow it down and enjoy it. we may even have a conversation that doesn't include "get that out of your mouth" or "what's that smell? uh, oh, did you bring the wipes?". :)

Whenever we've had the chance to go out (once in a blue moon) we've spent the whole night talking about Aidan. It makes me wonder what we talked about before we had kids?!

Dh will be working on the first so we will probably make an appearance at our neighbor's party but have an early night. I might celebrate the countdown with Callum if he needs to be fed then.

What are we serving?

Beer! (Or wine, or both...) Is that really a surprise to anyone?? :angel:

We're also making homemade pizzas to go with the beverages.

John

My daughter has requested Reuben Dip (Sauerkraut, cream cheese, swiss cheese, corned beef) and chicken quesadillas. Oh, and a slew of Hilary Duff movies..... Need I say more?

You'll be shocked at what we have on New Year's Eve! I guess it's our Latin culture. Aside from appetizers spinach and feta puff pastry wraps, crab and salmon pate on puff pastry shells, spinach/feta stuffed mushrooms, we will be grilling some steaks and chicken, and potato salad, Spanish rice, charro beans and a green salad for sides - Spanish flan for dessert and lots of wine, champaign, tequilla (margaritas), Puerto Rican rum (piña coladas), whiskey sours, and Irish cream liquor.

Enjoy yourselves and Happy New Year! May it bring much joy and peace to your lives.

Last edited:
Baked "country style" pork ribs (just salt and pepper), collard greens cooked with a little chopped bacon and bacon grease, mashed boiled turnips and potatoes (2:1 turnips to potatoes and plenty of butter), and black eyed peas - cooked with smoked ham hocks to a mush, served over split, buttered, and toasted cornbread. Top that off with my DIL's bourbon pecan pie, a cup of coffee, and a football game.

Our dd and sil are cooking a pork loin on the grill and I don't know what else, but I'm taking a green salad. That is all she would let me bring. We will be home before dark.

well, we're not going out :( , so dw asked me to make something special to have after we put my boy in his cage for the night.
so, i'm gonna do stuffed lobster tails for an appy, then insalate tri-colore (endive, radicchio, arrugula) in a balsamic viniagrette, with dollops of goat cheese, applewood smoked bacon, and sunflower seeds. for the entree, i'm making a monkfish in saffron tomato broth, with a julienne of carrots and fennel. i'm not sure if i will serve the monkfish over cappelini, or do the pasta on the side, alio e oglio.

now i have to find candles, good wine to match, and a quick stop by victoria's secret for an unexpected present (it's actually for me. that is, for my eyes to feast, not to wear, silly...:cool: )

Back
Top Bottom