New York Style Coffee Cake question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
Going to try this and don't have any yogurt in house - wondered if I use sour cream would give the same out come. Here is the recipe.
thanks all

New York Style Coffee Cake
For the crumb topping:
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
1 cup (2 sticks) melted butter
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
For the cake:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) butter
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups plain (vanilla or honey flavor work too) yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter the sides and bottom of a glass 9×13 pan. You can use a metal pan, but the edges may get a bit crispy.
To make the crumb topping, mix both sugars, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Add the melted butter and whisk until combined. Fold in the flour until it is absorbed. Spread out a large sheet of parchment paper on the counter and spread this mixture out on the parchment paper to dry while you make the cake mixture.
To make the cake, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl and set aside.
Cream the butter until it is smooth and ribbon-like in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle. Scrape down the bowl and add the sugar. Beat until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until incorporated. Scrape the bowl and mix again for 30 seconds. Add the yogurt and vanilla and beat just until incorporated. Add the dry ingredients in three parts, scraping down the bowl before each addition, beating only until it is just incorporated.
To assemble the cake, pour the batter in the prepared pan. Use your hands to scoop up a handful of the topping and make a fist. The topping should hold together. Break off in chunks and drop them over the cake. Repeat to use all the topping. Remember, the topping layer will look very thick.
Bake the cake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Rotate the pan two times during the baking process. Cool the entire pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes before serving.
The cake will last for 3 days, tightly covered, at room temperature

I make a coffee cake with similar ingredients, but no butter. I use sour cream or yoghurt.

Since the yoghurt is much higher butterfat than the yoghurt,you might want to cut back on the butter, a little bit.

"The cake will last for 3 days, tightly covered, at room temperature"

Yeah, sure it will, sitting out where it can be seen and can't be forgotten. :ROFLMAO:

I make a coffee cake with similar ingredients, but no butter. I use sour cream or yoghurt.

Since the yoghurt is much higher butterfat than the yoghurt,you might want to cut back on the butter, a little bit.

"The cake will last for 3 days, tightly covered, at room temperature"

Yeah, sure it will, sitting out where it can be seen and can't be forgotten. :ROFLMAO:

:)Clarification of this statement, please:stuart:

I think it would work well but may taste sour creamish atleast to some degree. Still would be good+ (good or better or both) though.

I make a similar cake, and I use buttermilk. Or yogurt, or sour cream, but I like the buttermilk version the best.

I also use all brown sugar instead of granulated. The cake is very moist, it does keep well (if hidden!), and my kids request it every time they visit.

I think the original recipe was from the red plaid cookbook (Betty Crocker?) and was called 'Cowboy Coffeecake'.

Back
Top Bottom