Newbie from Canada learning the ropes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strangeseraph

Assistant Cook
Hi, I'm Jay Lee, 24, from Canada. I live alone, I don't do much cooking. Stick it in the microwave and bada! Dinner. Hot dogs, pizza pockets and noodle bowls. I would like to learn to cook, my mother never taught me, and I have an extreme aversion to sharp knives as a result of my Obessive Compulsive disorder, and historically kitchen utensils cause me stress. Imagine throwing out two frying pans in a year because of panic attacks, and you'll get my past experiences with cookin. So I need recomendations for a disability friendly vegetable chopping impliments, or tools, or just any tips that would help me to be a better cook and add more healthy foods to my diet? :rolleyes: With my health problems, eating a lot of pre-packaged junk food and sugery stuff isn't going to help me any. 9.9 I think the only healthy thing in my cupboard right now is a package of pasta noodles and a can of pasta sauce. Erk?

Help me! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Hi, Jay! Sounds like life (especially in the kitchen) is kind of challenging for you...this place is full of wonderful, friendly people and I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice. Welcome to the family! :)

Hi Jay. Welcome to the site. We are very glad you found us!

What is it about sharp knives and your OCD that is the issue. Is it the fear of cutting yourself? Knowing that will help up come up with possible alternatives for you.

One thing I can think off off the bat is using precut veggies. You can find these pre-packaged or if your super market has a salad bar then you can buy them that way too.. Of course that is just for veggies and doesn't help with meat.

If you can afford it, you can buy the precut veggies in packages in your grocery store, same with chicken, and other meats that come pre-cut. It may cost you a bit more, but since you dont like knives, this may be your best bet. Welcome aboard!

Woops, GB beat me to it, but it's a good suggestion.

Last edited:
Hi Jay,
welcome to DC. Hang in here with us, I'm sure we will help you find comfortable ways to fix foods and just enjoy chatting back and forth.

kadesma:)

Yeah, I used to be a vegetarian, but I couldn't manage all the cooking and stress of having to totally plan out every single meal and cook large quanities of food and eat suplemental products...ugh.

I'm laughing at myself right now because I was instantly hooked on the Nicer Dicer infomercials on T.V. just cause it seems to be like the absolute best sort of tool for me, and I discovered SIMILAR cheaper products accidentally while browsing Canadian Salvage. Yay. I won't have to spend $50 for a device to chop lettuce. O_O Lol!

GB,it's that I know I WILL cut myself, accidentally, with the knife. I'm a clutz and I shake a lot, sometimes violently. I can't have any glass mugs or dinner ware or glass lids to pots cause more often then not I just drop them. Well I COULD have them, but the strain of having to be uber careful with dinnerware that cost money to purchase is not a fun feeling. ^^; Oh, I have fallen in love with melamine (menaline? melamen?) dishware. It's like indestructable and all the look of ceramic dishes. ^_^ I just have to find some in a print I like. My income tax return came, yay! I can buy kitchen stuff! Perfect timing, I join this board, and boom! Money in the bank. XD

Last edited:
strangeseraph the reason I was asking was that maybe something like a food processor might work well for you. There is a lot less chance of cutting yourself with something like that. That chance still does exist because you need to handle the blade to put it in and out of the processor, but while it is in use it is sealed up so you can't hurt yourself. Just a thought.

Welcome to our family!!
So nice you're here - you're going to really meet a lot of great folks and some wacky ones (myself included) too.
Are kitchen shears a big no-no? I agree with the precut veggies and precut chicken tender strips. Good stuff. Pre-shredded cheese is a great one too. However, to save money, do you suppose that you can get a friend to come over once/week and cut up your food while you bag it up?
Another option: Cooking days. That's when a group of 2 or 3 get together & make meals for a few weeks' time (which will be kept in the freezer till cooking day). One person can do the chopping, while you do the mixing/boiling/or whatever the recipe calls for. If that sounds good, I can send you to a link from one of our archived chats about that. Best of luck, and again, welcome:chef:

packaged pre cut veggies frozen or fresh exist. crock pot meal packages in the freezer section. pre cut meat or ground meat. all of this is sold and available. use the pre mixed spices and sauces.

as far as cooking and burning stuff...even with long cook foods, set a timer at 15 min intervals so you come and stir, check it out, then reset and repeat.

THere are ways for folks with disabilties to make it fine in the kitchen. THat group idea is outstanding!!!

stay with us and let us know how it goes! welcome

jkath's "cooking days with friends" is an excellent idea. You and a few friends could prepare a healthy, variety of meals to be frozen and used at your convenience. Also, Robo suggested using a crockpot ~ another great idea! Try searching this site for good crockpot meals. If you use precut or frozen veggies and meats, you should be able to create wholesome meals for yourself. I'm sure the people on this site will be able to come up with many more ideas for you. Let us know how you are doing. What ideas so far do you like best and think you will be able to use? Hang in there!

Back
Top Bottom