Newbie on the east coast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luvabigdog

Cook
Hello everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself. Love to cook, but unfortunately not very proficient. I'm retired (sort of) but my wife works and to take some of the burden from her, I want to learn to be more kitchen savy. Also, please excuse my English as some grammar and symantics are still difficult for me. Italian born to a large family.....pretty sad that I don't know how to cook. Hoping to pick up some pointers from the experienced people here and who knows; perhaps I'll even be able to contribute once in a while.

I am fairly new here myself but I've found that the folks here are really friendly and very helpful. Welcome to a really nice group.

Hello everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself. Love to cook, but unfortunately not very proficient. I'm retired (sort of) but my wife works and to take some of the burden from her, I want to learn to be more kitchen savy. Also, please excuse my English as some grammar and symantics are still difficult for me. Italian born to a large family.....pretty sad that I don't know how to cook. Hoping to pick up some pointers from the experienced people here and who knows; perhaps I'll even be able to contribute once in a while.
I was born in the UK, if you read my posts you will see your grammar ect is better than mine, so far we have to things in common Luvabigdog I'm retired my wife works and I have a 140lbs Lion Dog, I have to go Max is lying next to me and has just cracked off a massive air cookie:ohmy:
taba 124.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Nice to see I'm not the only guy in here and certainly not the only grammar challenged. Although I studied English in school since birth, I did not begin speaking "American English" until I moved to the U.S. about 7 years ago. English is my 3rd language but with some practice writing and speaking, I hope to become more proficient. Just like my cooking.

Yes, my login name is an indicator of my interests. I am very active with animal rescue and adoption. Dogs, cats and horses mostly. We have a ranch where we board many horses and own some ourselves. Just love animals.

Again, thank you everyone for the warm welcome and I will try not to bombard you all with my questions.

Welcome aboard. You're definitely not the only guy. There are plenty of men here. Ask us anything, we're glad to help.

I was born in the UK, if you read my posts you will see your grammar ect is better than mine, so far we have to things in common Luvabigdog I'm retired my wife works and I have a 140lbs Lion Dog, I have to go Max is lying next to me and has just cracked off a massive air cookie:ohmy:
View attachment 10039

140 lbs?! That's more than huge for a RR, or is there another lion dog that I don't know about?

I'm going to try to post a photo of my furry friends if I can figure out how. Three German Shepherds, 27 horses, and a cantankerous barn cat share my place. If the photo of the doggies doesn't come through I'll try to figure out another way to post it. I love animals.

Attachments

• IMG_4695a.jpg
    IMG_4695a.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 88
Pacanis Max is a Southafrican Boerboel (English Mastiff+ R/Ridgeback) he puts on about 15lbs+ in the winter, he does not like going out in the rain or cold. This is a summer shot with my when he is about 120 lbspadeswood 271.jpg

img001 modified.jpgbigdog these are my two departed rescue gsd Max and Asia

Thanks Bolas, I didn't know they called Boerbels lion dogs, too. A SA Boerbel might be my next dog when my oldest (a Presa Canario) passes... if I can find a good breeder over here. I've been researching them about three years now.
Never one to pass up a chance to post my crew... from a couple years ago.
My GSD Petra
Petra 7-13-09.jpg
And my Presa and Rhodesian Ridgeback, Tursa and Pierce
tursa & pierce 7-10-09.JPG

Good looking dogs Pacanis, okay I took Max off his previous idiot owner who bought him as a "trophy dog" he could not control him and said he was going to have him put down which made me very angry.
I think the reason they are called lion dogs is because the original breed was Mastiffxwild dog and they were used to protect against lions.
Like you we are used to big dogs, we have never abused Max, I trained him with love, he still shows flashes of his old self and we never leave him alone with anyone! he gets very agressive with men with beards and wheel barrows, he rips the tyre off with one bite:ohmy:

Our 3 German Shepherds are very social and especially love kids. I am retired so I am home most of the time with my wife. At 2:45 on weekdays the school bus lets out children who run to our place to hang out, ride horses, play Wii or watch movies. Most of them are young girls who help my wife around the house. They stay until their parents pick them up after they get off work. It is a safe place for the kids to come after school. Our dogs are very different when the children are here. They run and play with the kids. But if someone who is foreign and not a parent comes to the house, they become aggressive and very defensive with the children. I thought it was a good thing until a grandparent who we didn't know came to pick up a child early. The dogs let him into the compound, but would not let him leave. They are in protection mode when children are here. A band of children could break into our place while we are away and steal everything we own....and the dogs would help them carry it out to their bicycles.

LBG I doubt that GSD's a smarter than a lot of humans, the pic of our two was on a bridge near a large lake where we used to live, my wife took the two out for a walk whilst I cooked dinner, you are allowed to let the dogs run free, a man exposed himself, my wife screamed Asia the black bitch ran out of the woods and attacked him, Max the tan dog ran out and just stood on guard between my wife and the man. My wife called Asia off the man was arrested at the nearest hospital, the police gave them bones when the came to tell us he had been caught, they also said he was a mess:)

Wow. I wonder what would have happened if that man were just going to the bathroom in the woods. Would your dog still have attacked him and put him in the hospital? Because we have horses and give lessons to children, out dogs have to be very obedient and social. They're a simple deterrent, and more if needed. Protectiveness is an innate behavior for most dogs. Our two smallest dogs are search & rescue. If what you described would have occurred where I live, both the man in the woods and the dogs owner would both be in jail. Dogs attacking humans outside of your own household is very serious concern for nearby residents. I'm just glad your wife is ok.

LBD we can use reasonable force over here, this man had a record of flashing. Thank you for your concern over my wife, she is harder than me, she was certified by the Miami coast guard as a ships fire fighter and was one of the first female Maitre D on Celebrity Cruise line.
padeswood 020.jpgThe love of my life 3 yrs ago.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom