Next Food Network Star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In case you missed it last night, FoodTV showed the premier of this season's contest. Some interesting people this go around. So far, my favorite is JAG. What did you think and who's your choice for the next food network star?

Please give spoiler warnings when appropriate - thanks!

Looks as though Buck and I will miss the whole competition. When the weather warms up, we spend most of our evenings outside on our front porch. We resume our TV viewing when we're driven inside by cold weather. Hope everyone enjoys the programs, though.

Darn, I missed it. Have to try to catch it next time. Thanks for mentioning it!

Was happy with who got booted off. His 'eyebrow raising' expressing his annoyance got me ticking too, as brought up by that lady judge. He needed to go.

Don't have a favorite yet with only the one episode so far.

Do have a least favorite though. Didn't enjoy from their own introduction. Let's just say I have a teeth fettish. I adore teeth...which is why [at an older age] I got braces myself. It's the first thing I notice about people. Most look at eyes or body shape or hair or whatever, for me, clearly it's their teeth because maybe that translates with their smile, I don't know.

Although I don't want to try out myself, I'd be first voted off for sure, I wish them all well. It's gotta be a hard thing to go through never knowing what'll be asked of you in the kitchen.

Uh... ok... I think you missed topics. And given the menu, you probably won't win the contest either. :ROFLMAO:

I was fine with who they got rid of. The woman's accent was too hard to understand (I thought) for TV and the guys Spock like eyebrow thing was odd. I didn't care for JAG but it's early, he may grow on me. Could you believe how much the format was changed to imitate Top Chef?

I think I saw the re-runs last night. But MAN...is it me or are the challenges harder than last year? The whole wedding shopping was nuts. I was thinking 'I wonder what they'll leave at the counter when they go over budget?' ....$700 AND CHANGE?

Also, I think the Brazillian got a bad deal. I would have liked to see some other dishes from her.

Was flipping channels after work tonight and I caught this. LOL!. Boy did I need a good laugh after a busy night at work. Throwing a bunch of no-talent hacks into a format similar to Top Chef? Now that's a recipe for disaster. Just watching them shop was painful. Finding out their budgets and what they actually spent was even worse. Well, I guess when I need a good laugh and Comedy Central goes off the air I can see if this show is on. For a serious competition with people that can actually cook, I'll be tuning in to Top Chef starting this Wednesday.

IC - it was painful watching them shop!!!! Why would you spend only $800.00 on food for a wedding when your budget was $2,100.00 (or somewhere close anyway). I just can't get a feel for the people yet and who actually has the talent yet. I can assure you I would be a nervous wreck, as I'm sure they are. I'm sure they have to get used to the cameras and once that happens the talent will come out?

kitchenelf said:
IC - it was painful watching them shop!!!! Why would you spend only $800.00 on food for a wedding when your budget was $2,100.00 (or somewhere close anyway). I just can't get a feel for the people yet and who actually has the talent yet. I can assure you I would be a nervous wreck, as I'm sure they are. I'm sure they have to get used to the cameras and once that happens the talent will come out?

As far as their on-air persona talent maybe. But not in cooking skill and culinary knowledge. I mean most of the dishes they put out for the wedding reception were stuff you'd do entertaining for friends at home. Although I hate to agree with Bobby Flay, I had to when he commented on the severe lack of high end ingredients. Only one dish had a high-end ingredient (the caviar). That was going through my mind when they were shopping. No scallops. No rack of lamb. No lobster.

I enjoy watching, but I have not seen anyone step up with personality and ability and concept yet. All three are needed.

Just to carry on with the shopping event...How could you expect someone who has never come even remotely close to prepare meals for 100 people, and know what they are doing? Just deciding on the quantity alone would be nearly impossible. I too, agree the ingredients were more...30 Minute Meals worthy.
I just think the object of that challenge will have nothing to do with the final results.

Jeekinz said:
Just to carry on with the shopping event...How could you expect someone who has never come even remotely close to prepare meals for 100 people, and know what they are doing? Just deciding on the quantity alone would be nearly impossible. I too, agree the ingredients were more...30 Minute Meals worthy.
I just think the object of that challenge will have nothing to do with the final results.

It's not that hard. Say you prepared a dish for a dinner for 15 people. Just multiply the quantities by 8-10 factoring in that you'll be doing a smaller portion, some people may not try it, may not like the main ingredient, or may go for seconds, etc. Or use weight and multiply the serving size (i.e. 3-4 oz. x 150). Plus, one of the challengers (Paul?) is supposedly a caterer. If that's true, then his catering knowledge could've and should've been utilized for this sort of thing. Most of them were in charge of ONE dish. It's not that hard. A caveman could do it.

mudbug said:
Kinda makes you miss Marcel, doesn't it?

But even in their catering challenge where they had to produce all of those hors' dourves, he was smart enough not to try and foam that many portions. Or make that many portions of a gelee. Actually, the foam would've worked if he made the type that you use with gelatin and a whipped cream dispenser. If he tried the immersion blender type it wouldn't have.

mudbug said:
Kinda makes you miss Marcel, doesn't it?
not a bit! :rolleyes: but there WAS a Top Chef Slam last night, the top 4 of each of the first two seasons, and Marcel did not only a foam but also a gelee in the Miami heat and humidity. Stephen made him look silly... no, take that back. Marcel made himself look foolish! :LOL:

yeah, I watched it, ChefJ. You're right. Sam really looked bent out of shape because he wasn't lavished with praise.

OP - really, I'm going now!

Back
Top Bottom