Next on My List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
What style of cooking or technique haven't you mastered yet that you want to learn?

For me it's the following:

better knife skills
French sauces

to name two, for a start

Roasting might be next on my list. I have not done a lot of that and would like to start doing more.

I can look at a recipe and change it so
that I like it better.

I'd like to be able to just throw things together with
out a recipe in front of me.

And I really want to learn to make sushi

I really don't think, as much as I love to cook, that I've "mastered" anything.

There are certain things I'm comfortable with, but always feel that the final result could have been better if.... and next time I might try....

So... there are so many wonderful foods and combinations of ingredients out there... and, even though some of my friends and relatives might think I'm pretty accomplished, there will always be so much more... even in the things that I already (am seen to) do well. I'm pretty self-critical.

(that said... it's not like I don't ENJOY my food. I'm just always looking for ways to improve)

I guess the thing I'm currently most intrigued about is learning to smoke meat. I'm a good 'griller' but I think smoking is the "next level", and it's something I've never tried.

Canning!

Also, I've sort of mastered the fundamentals of breadmaking, but I'd like to improve my skills to the point that I can trust the loaves/rolls/biscuits have come out well, without having to cut into one and eat it to make sure before serving them.

And I would love to master the trick of pressing the surface of meat to determine its degree of doneness. Still can't do that.

Cats

im with pds, I would love to just throw things together and it become a meal

My daughter wants to make sushi. Her birthday was Thursday. no time then, but did promise we will do that during the next chool vacation. Or perhaps for Easter as we have 4 days off then.

Has anybody ever made their own?

Pam

ps I also want to make my own tortellini. I have made ravioli and think tortellini would be fun.

I made sushi once. It was a lot of fun and a lot of work. It would be a great thing to do with a bunch of people.

Here are some pictures of my sushi making experience.

Cats, I'm with you on all 3 of those!! I'm planning on trying my hand at canning some things this summer(pickled okra is at the top of my list). The only thing I have ever done that is even in that area is freezer jam. It turned out beautiful as well as delicious. I'm going to talk my mom into helping me when I start the acctual canning though. She's done it for years & has put up some beautiful stuff. Plus she has all the equitment & won't have to buy anything other than spices & stuff.

On the bread, I'm slowly getting started on that. I can use my bread machine fine but I want to make some by hand too.

With the doneness of meat trick, I'm getting better at that. But not quite there yet. I still depend mostly on my thermometer.

Other than those things, I need to work on my knife skills. I can't chop an onion or slice a tomato worth anything. But, I keep trying & I can see improvement with each one.

Thanks GB. Great pictures!

It does not look that complicated. Definetly a group project. Did you only make vegetarian sushi? I was thinking of using crab sticks for some.

What kind of sauce did you have for dipping?

Pam

crewsk said:
Cats, I'm with you on all 3 of those!! I'm planning on trying my hand at canning some things this summer(pickled okra is at the top of my list). The only thing I have ever done that is even in that area is freezer jam. It turned out beautiful as well as delicious. I'm going to talk my mom into helping me when I start the acctual canning though. She's done it for years & has put up some beautiful stuff. Plus she has all the equitment & won't have to buy anything other than spices & stuff.

Freezer jam sounds wonderful, also a good way to ease into the canning thing. I'd like to learn how to make really good pickles, especially the half-done spears that you find in Jewish-style delicatessens.

I have botulism issues. :shock:

Cats

I'd love to get more into breadmaking, but with DH on the low carb kick, my efforts would go to the birds - literally! I used to bake bread lots - during the old commune days in the 60's, we'd make about 20 loaves a week. But haven't done it in years, and would really like to experiment with some of the more 'artisan' techniqiues - a la the natural yeast kinds of things.

Confection. I havent gotten into it because I dont really have a sweet tooth but I get great ideas for candy all the time and I would love to make my own truffles.

i KNEW it marmalady...you're a retired hippie [much like myself]. i've felt a connection with you from the beginning. that must be it!

Things I want to do (and do well):
  • Pickling - After having both homemade sweet pickled cucumbers and homemade pickled garlic recently, I really want to replicate these for myself. Pickled eggs are on the list, too, and maybe those hot pickled sausages as well.
  • Smoking and barbecue - This will have to wait for summer, but I want to build a small backyard smoker.
  • Sauces - A mastery of sauces is a mastery of cookery, in my own humble opinion. Hollandaise is on my list, as is barbecue. I've tried making mayonnaise, and it came out pretty good. I'm pretty good as various pan sauces, but I could still improve.
  • Pasta - Making my own pasta is on the list of things to try.
Heck, I want to learn as much as I can. If I absolutely had to specialize somewhere, though, it would be barbecue and southwestern, I think.

Speaking of bread, I would love to master cooking it in a cast iron dutch oven.

i'd like to improve my knife skills and learn more about cooking with wine.

Pam Leavy said:
Thanks GB. Great pictures!

It does not look that complicated. Definetly a group project. Did you only make vegetarian sushi? I was thinking of using crab sticks for some.

What kind of sauce did you have for dipping?

Pam

Yeah I only made vegetarian. At the time I did not have access to sushi grade fish. I got some wasabi and also dipped in soy sauce.

Well, there are a few things I'd like to do to help further my career in Culinary Arts:

-Advanced garnishing, like carving, ice carving, etc.
-Smoking/BBQ. I'd love to hit the BBQ Trail during the summer, and go to a few contests. Unfortunately, my job interfers with that. I just don't have the time to get to invested into it, although I'd love to.
-More experience with exotic ingredients. Lately I've been using chipotles en adobo, but I'd like to maybe get back into Chinese, then venture into Thai and other Asian cuisines.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom