No-churn Ice Cream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
I’ve recently come across several recipes for no-churn ice cream. Have any of you ever tried it? How is it? Does it actually taste like ice cream, or is it just frozen mousse?

Another question, related:
I’d like to make apple ice cream with the “no-churn” method, but I really don’t want to use chopped apples. Could I use applesauce instead of diced apples? Or is it too wet?

I have made a frozen dessert with pear puree that is icecream-ish.

It included heavy cream (whipped, sweetened condensed milk, pear puree and some flavorings. It was pretty good and worth doing again. One note that the fruit puree can be grainy useless you super process it. Still, it's tasty and easy. Try it and report back. Inquiring minds.... ;)

DD told me a while back that her kids in school were going to make the ice cream in bags where you shake it. I'll call her later and see how it came out.

Some of my cookbooks from the 40s and 50s have no churn frozen desserts that are made with melted marshmallows, condensed milk, and heavy cream.

These days it would cost more to make them at home than to purchase a container of premium ice cream.

For the apple ice cream idea, I would start with a plain vanilla ice cream and create a warm apple pie topping.

Good luck!

Some of my cookbooks from the 40s and 50s have no churn frozen desserts that are made with melted marshmallows, condensed milk, and heavy cream.

These days it would cost more to make them at home than to purchase a container of premium ice cream.

For the apple ice cream idea, I would start with a plain vanilla ice cream and create a warm apple pie topping.

Good luck!
If you google apple no-churn ice cream, or even just “apple ice cream,” you pretty much get a list of recipes for vanilla ice cream with apple pie filling swirled through it. I want apple ice cream!

I thought maybe using apple juice concentrate, undiluted, would give a nice apple flavor. What do you think?

Maybe something like this Apple pie ice cream ? The apples are cooked and then pureed. I've made some thing from this blog before and we liked them. Just leave out the snickerdoodles.

BTW, DD didn't go through with making the ice cream with her kids. She thought about it more and realized she really didn't want to have to clean up the mess that would more than likely be left.

Maybe something like this Apple pie ice cream ? The apples are cooked and then pureed. I've made some thing from this blog before and we liked them. Just leave out the snickerdoodles.

BTW, DD didn't go through with making the ice cream with her kids. She thought about it more and realized she really didn't want to have to clean up the mess that would more than likely be left.
The recipe looks great, but it’s not no-churned :(.
I’d like to try it though (when I get an ice cream maker!). Thanks!

If you google apple no-churn ice cream, or even just “apple ice cream,” you pretty much get a list of recipes for vanilla ice cream with apple pie filling swirled through it. I want apple ice cream!

I thought maybe using apple juice concentrate, undiluted, would give a nice apple flavor. What do you think?

It's worth a try but I would be concerned about the liquid changing the texture.

Another thought would be using an apple flavored liqueur or schnapps but it might come off a little boozy tasting.

If a real clear apple flavor is what you are after I would try a granita recipe, sort of a snowcone with an attitude! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Good luck!

Last edited:
If you want fabulous apple ice cream, I would use an electric ice cream maker and forget the no-churn method. Borrow a machine if you don't have one.

I would add applesauce and spices to a vanilla ice cream recipe. A few minutes before the ice cream is just right, I would add 1 or 2 tablespoons Calvados/ apple brandy to the mix.

When I add alcohol at the very end, it doesn't interfere with the freezing process.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom