"No Cook" Fridays

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m00nwater

Cook
Does anyone else have the rule of no cooking on Fridays?

My girlfriend and I have made the decision not to cook on Fridays to give ourselves a break, so we eat out every Friday. My dilemma with this has become a dilemma for my wallet and my waistline.

I don't want to give up the freedom that Fridays offer, but I also don't want to be constantly eating in restaurants every Friday because it it taking its toll on my cash flow.

Does anyone have any solutions for how we can still enjoy a low-maintenance Friday meal at home? I've considered cooking earlier in the week and storing the meal in the freezer, but leftovers or a re-heated meal on a Friday just isn't my idea of fun. I'm looking for quick and easy meals that will still allow us to get proper nutrition, while still keeping in the spirit of a fun meal on Friday night.

Thanks for all your help!

Are you out to eliminate eating out or would you consider lower cost options such as pizza or take-out places?

Well, I am guessing that we will eat out and get take-out still once in a while, like maybe once a month. I guess what I am looking for is for alternatives for those 3 other Fridays in the month. Quick and simple solutions for meals so that it doesn't take away from the fact that Friday is the "night off" from cooking. But I am willing to put some effort in, obviously, so that our food budget isn't as huge as it is now since we have a restaurant meal every Friday.

You could identify a good source of ready made meals and use them - they just need heating but taste really good. we have a butcher nearby who makes his own pies which are packed full of meat and taste wonderful. Other options are things like burgers, hot dogs or home cooked fish & chips use pre packed items.

How about quesadillas, panini, homemade pizza, clean out the fridge omelettes / pasta? You can use up your leftovers in those dishes.:)

You can buy whole cooked chickens at Costco or supermarkets and use them to make sandwiches, quesadillas, salads, or use it as the protein in a full meal.

Before retirement I never cooked on Friday. Now its a little hard, maybe twice a month. The Fridays I do cook its soup and grilled cheese, something easy. Then popcorn or ice cream for a treat. Sometimes just breakfast, eggs, bacon etc. Nothing big !

Before retirement I never cooked on Friday. Now its a little hard, maybe twice a month. The Fridays I do cook its soup and grilled cheese, something easy. Then popcorn or ice cream for a treat. Sometimes just breakfast, eggs, bacon etc. Nothing big !

Ya, that sounds like a good idea. Soup and grilled cheese is a good quick meal...maybe even chili.

Loprraine & Andy - quesadillas sounds like a good plan, too...I've done them on my Foreman grill in the past and the turn out great! Thanks! We also like those Kraft pizza kits...simple and quick. I think Costco has pre-cooked chicken in bags (Lilydale I think) that we could use.

miniman - great idea! We have a local butcher close by that has some great beef on a bun, perogies, etc...and they are cheap.

You guys are definitely helpful! You've all spurred some ideas for me!

In middle school, we had pizza on Fridays. One of my friends parents would also order pizza every Friday. Weird.

How about making extra food one night during the week and have leftovers on Friday?

Cook a double batch of something for dinner early in the week then save the rest for Friday.

Why don't you look at doing a crackers/cheese/sausage/smoked oysters kind of plate and then having a fruit plate for dessert. No cooking involved, but someone will have to cut the sausage and cheese.

Why don't you look at doing a crackers/cheese/sausage/smoked oysters kind of plate and then having a fruit plate for dessert. No cooking involved, but someone will have to cut the sausage and cheese.

That's what I do once in awhile when I don't feel like cooking, but still want quality food..I just go to the grocery store and put together a sort of antipasto dish.

I usually have smoked sausage (chorizo), good cheese, olives, etc....and then a nice hunk of bread to tie it all together.

Add a little bowl of good olive oil to dip, and you're set!

Some foods like soup, stew, chili, tomato based meat sauces, etc. are actually better the next day ... so they are not really leftovers - they are aged and improved! Casseroles and things like lasagna and moussaka are other good candidate for fix ahead.

But, going out on Friday night is more than just about the meal ... I can't help with your waistline but this might help your wallet - look for restaurants that have 2 for 1 specials or other discounted promotions. I don't know about where you live but I get several coupons in the mail every week that offer a buy one meal at regular price and get a second for equal or lesser value for free.

I posted to this earlier but apparently "something" happened. My suggestion was: cheese, meats, easy appetizers (wings, marinated, buffalo, etc. - they are easy to do and fairly inexpensive), fruits, breads, (the olive oil/olives mentioned above), etc. But make it a picnic. Toss a blanket on the living room floor, music (or make it a picnic/movie night), candles, etc. Finger foods only!!!!! Even a salad can be made and then wrapped burrito style in a piece of green-leaf lettuce. It doesn't matter if it's messy - it's just fun!

How about a compromise? Make a crock-pot meal, which requires minimal preparation and, then, go out for dessert. Doesn't have to be too expensive or fussy. You could feel like a child and go to an ice cream store and have a double-dip ice cream cone and share (romantically).

We have subs just about every Friday night. In my area, there's a great shop (not chains, but individually owned shops) on every corner.

Lee

Got a deep fryer, even a cheap one?

Fridays are PERFECT for deep fried wings with onion rings, fries, even fried mushrooms, or mini-egg-rolls. Make Friday your deep fry night. Cheaper….not necessarily healthier, but still fun!

Perfect wings are deep fried for 15 to 20 minutes, set aside to cool, then covered in sauce and bake for 5 minutes to set the sauce and make it sticky. Serve while the movie is playing!

And the fun doesn’t stop there….deep fried cheese, jalapeños, pizza bites, shrimp. Etc, etc, etc. Deep frying is FAST, easy, and tasty. Marinate your wings on Thursday for deep drying on Friday night!

Hou about doing some fun cooking on fridays.

Maybe hit the web for, oh Middle Eastern recipes and make some hummus and falafel. Some tahini sauce and pita and you have an easy and fun meal.

Then another Friday make an Asian dish or two. There are so many cuisines and dishes, many of which are quite inexpensive.

A Mexican night, Polish (love bigos or pierogies), British cottage pies, or bangers and mash, the menus are as endless as the imagination. And all the recipes are available on the web.

Just an idea.

Back
Top Bottom