No such thing as a free lunch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Cobean

Executive Chef
maybe,maybe not.went to costco today to pay my subs,look for some cheese & have a mooch.as luck would have it,it was lunch time & as luck would have it they had some tasty promo's on.
i dined regally on sirloin steak,brie,polish sausage,a very passable crispy aromatic duck,italian style bangers,australian shiraz rose & chardonnay:ROFLMAO:!
where's your favourite destination for free sample dining?
i posted this under budget friendly dishes 'cos i can't think of anything more budget friendly than free:LOL:!
harry

Yeah, but how much did you spend there while checking out the samples!?
well claire,i always like to put a spin on my spending...it helps deaden the pain:rolleyes:! for once,i only bought what i went there to get,so umm,in harry's world errrr...yep that makes it free....yay,result:ROFLMAO:!
H

We sometimes join the crowd at the blue hair diner in Costco. It's kind of amusing to stand back and watch the seniors line up for their free samples. Their selection of goodies isn't as good as what you described and never includes wine.

We sometimes join the crowd at the blue hair diner in Costco. It's kind of amusing to stand back and watch the seniors line up for their free samples. Their selection of goodies isn't as good as what you described and never includes wine.
hey andy
you'd love our costco,this is manchester uk,they don't line up,they claw their way to the front & the promo teams wear body armour:LOL:!

We sometimes get free samples of wine at our Costco. We even sometimes get free samples of wine at our provincially owned liquor stores.

I was going to say the same thing. Dried out Taquitos, sometimes a nice cheese. And one chili that has too much molasses. Every once in a while they have something not too processed.

Sampling at our local Whole Foods type store, the best place to sample. And you can always taste up to 5 cheeses at the cheese counter. The deli is good for sampling, too!

I was going to say the same thing. Dried out Taquitos, sometimes a nice cheese. And one chili that has too much molasses. Every once in a while they have something not too processed.

Sampling at our local Whole Foods type store, the best place to sample. And you can always taste up to 5 cheeses at the cheese counter. The deli is good for sampling, too!
hmmmm,maybe costco do it better over here?samples may be better but the stores aren't the size nor do they carry the range that they do in the states.maybe our l'il island isn't big enough!
only downer is that the promo teams dress like they are clearing nuclear fallout!presumably because they are so sensitive to any form of litigation(well,it is sooooo rude to poison one's customers & not particularly cost effective either:ROFLMAO:!)they wear overalls,hairnets,disposal bonnets,latex gloves and insert just about every heat sensor known to man into what they are cooking:rolleyes:!result? nobody died but the sirloin was a tad overcooked....i like mine medium/rare!
harry

Interesting post. Throughout Madrid Capital, and the rest of the Iberian Peninsula, there is a gastronomic culture, which follows the Greek Meze and Mid Eastern Mezedes, The Tapas Culture ... One buys a glass of wine or a beer, or cocktail or a non alcoholic refreshment, and they receive a saucer size plate, which contains one or more of the following: a pincho ( thick slice ) of Spanish potato Omelette, spicy double fried potatoes, a canapé with cheese, or charcuterie or Iberian Ham, a Stew consisting of meat or chicken with potatoes or vegetables, a skewer of Chicken or Pork, olives, a few shrimp, fried calamari, octopus salad, tomato salad, potato chips, anchovies or fresh anchovies, roasted peppers, fried aubergine or eggplant, etcetra ... Of course there are uncountable tascas = Taverns and they are distinctly unique in their own right, from Taurine, Vanaguard, 1800s, Hemmingway, Modern yet traditional and Traditional and provinical regional.

The beverages costs from 1.20 Euros - 3.50 Euros ... Cocktails, are more, depending on where you go to imbide.

So, if you have two average wines 100 metres from our Loft, it costs 2.60 Euros times two people = 4 wines. That is 4 plates included in the price. GOOD DEAL ...

There are tastings at the El Corte Iingles Gourmet Club, which I go shopping at for our Italian products. I always enjoy ... Its marketing new products and / or working with Trade Boards of other EU countries, to introduce some of their products, so it is always interesting.

Have Nice Wkend.
Margi.

Last edited:
I need to go to Costco next week for a stock up, ours is the same, lots of interesting nibbles are always on offer. Its a good thing as I discovered the Martini Prosecco that way.

However, one of the best dining freebies is the BBC Good Food show - have you ever been to one Harry? I usually go to the one in Birmingham but I've also been to the Landan one.
It is a constant constant stream of free food and wine tasting, to the point where you dont need any lunch, just rest and go around again.

I need to go to Costco next week for a stock up, ours is the same, lots of interesting nibbles are always on offer. Its a good thing as I discovered the Martini Prosecco that way.

However, one of the best dining freebies is the BBC Good Food show - have you ever been to one Harry? I usually go to the one in Birmingham but I've also been to the Landan one.
It is a constant constant stream of free food and wine tasting, to the point where you dont need any lunch, just rest and go around again.
nope,never been,give me a shout & we'll meet up if you like,you're only "up the road" from manchester
harry

Back
Top Bottom