Nordic Ware baking sheets - need help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TimboEating2101

Assistant Cook
Hi All.

I'm new to this forum. I've enjoyed cooking for several years, but after a recent bout of throat cancer for which I am now in recovery, I've now decided I want to invest more time in this hobby, am keen to learn more and hence I've joined this forum.

However, my first question is related to cleaning and maintenance. I recently purchased a couple of aluminium Nordic Ware baking sheets (which are meant to be non-stick). After heating some chicken goujons, I found one of the sheets had a yellow sticky residue on it (please see the first pic below). I tried cleaning this off with dish soap and a soft scourer but this had little effect. Unfortunately, this baking sheet was placed back in the oven for storage, and during a separate cook a few days later, the yellow residue was further baked on (see second pic where it's black!).

Does anybody have any recommendations/ ideas/ solutions for bringing this pan back to its former glory as it's less than a month old?

Many thanks for any help!

NW-Sheet-Yellow.jpegNW-Sheet-Black.jpeg

I would try the ammonia ‘trick’ on them.

Put the baking sheets in a plastic bag with 1/2 cup of household ammonia, seal the bag, and let it sit for 24 hours, remove and wash in warm sudsy water.

Good luck!

Just looking at your pictures, these look like the aluminum nordic ware and they don't appear to have a non-stick coating on them. This is what I use also.
If you use a metal scrubber, it will scratch the aluminum but the aluminum will oxidize and be fine again. Another option for cleaning is to use oven spray on them, oven cleaner.

Some bakers do not clean the dark marks that are flat off of aluminum pans. They clean the marks that are bumpy, so you end up with a smooth but brown/black pan. They say they brown the baked goods better. If you nose around the internet on baking and aluminum pans you'll find baker's with these ideas.

What I do, I put parchment down on top of my aluminum nordic ware, for just about everything. It makes clean up a breeze. I still get discoloration on the pans but not much. I've been using the same ones for more than 10 years.

I'm in the same camp as @blissful
I own several of those Nordic brand pans in the various sizes and I ALWAYS line them with parchment or tin foil, I NEVER cook anything straight on the pan.
IMHO, that pan looks like toast!
Those aluminum pans don't like to be treated roughly, ie. scrubbing cleaners, pads, steel wool, etc. Believe me, I know from experience. The finish will come off and be unsightly, albeit I've been told by the company that they are still useful, just ugly.
Those are my go-to pans, but I'm mindful of their care and use.
If you have it available in your area, I might try Dawn Powerwash.
I just discovered this product and it's amazing!

You can try Barkeepers Friend to clean them. I have no-name aluminum pans from a restaurant store. The "patina" they acquire doesn't bother me and it doesn't affect how they bake. If it bothers you, you can try to clean them, or use foil or silicone mats from now on.

I also use the Barkeeper's Friend on non-coated aluminum pans - gets just about anything off. And scratching is so minute, it's not really visible.

I also use the Barkeeper's Friend on non-coated aluminum pans - gets just about anything off. And scratching is so minute, it's not really visible.
Barkeeper's Friend was the first product that I tried on my Nordic Ware pans and it took the coating off the pan and looked like I had ruined it.
These are my favorite pans, but care must be taken with them.

Nordic Ware has some coated pans, as well as uncoated - that's why I specified that I use BF on uncoated pans. Those in the photos look like the uncoated, not the coated, but maybe they have clear NS coatings now, instead of the gold, or greenish ones.

I would try the ammonia ‘trick’ on them.

Put the baking sheets in a plastic bag with 1/2 cup of household ammonia, seal the bag, and let it sit for 24 hours, remove and wash in warm sudsy water.

Good luck!
Do you put the ammonia on the pans, or just leave it in the cup, inside the bag?

I agree with others who say those pans do not look like they have the non stick coating. I have some ovenware with a non-stick coating, but I find the non-stick is useless. It just makes them harder to clean because, I have to be careful with it.

Do you put the ammonia on the pans, or just leave it in the cup, inside the bag?

I agree with others who say those pans do not look like they have the non stick coating. I have some ovenware with a non-stick coating, but I find the non-stick is useless. It just makes them harder to clean because, I have to be careful with it.
I put the ammonia directly on or into the item being cleaned but you could also put it into a separate container.

Back
Top Bottom