Not Feeling Up To Snuff ~ Dinner Thread ~ 11/3/21

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
My Dearest Husband had surgery this morning and has
not been feeling so red hot today.
As I was reading over his post-op take home paper work,
(I was not allowed into the facility, he didn't remember a thing)
he is to eat light today and then gradually get
back to his regular diet.

IMG_1026.jpg

So I brewed up a pot of his favorite Soup,
Chicken Noodle, heavy on the noodle :LOL:

That's what he and Mom had for supper; I had a leftover
Hot Dog and Coleslaw.

Halloween Candy will be dessert later ;)

I put out a taco buffet for us and the neighbors. I cooked up a vat of seasoned ground beef and sauteed a pound of small shrimp. I didn't think of taking any pics at all, but it's easy to imagine tacos.

I heated some store bought seafood sauce and served it over spelt fusilli. I served a salad of rainbow chard, sorrel, mustard greens, curly lettuce, daikon radish, thinly sliced red onion, corn kernels, peas, chopped pecans, and pieces of feta. All tossed with homemade vinaigrette. The salad was really good. The pasta was fine. The seafood sauce was okay. It was Arctic bar clams and shrimp in a creamy sauce, so not cheap. We used half the package. It was good enough to eat again, but not good enough to buy again. We also had some Buffarella, a locally made buffalo milk mozzarella. It was really nice. Any suggestions how to serve the other half of that?

Spelt fusilli with seafood sauce and a salad close up.jpg

Jeannie had a late shopping/lunch out with a friend so I was on my own.

Fixed myself a linguisa and onion sandwich. Too lazy to put together a mac salad so, I had chips with the sandwich.

Ross

We had leftovers - beef tenderloin and mushrooms in bordelaise sauce. Asparagus and sweet potatoes on the side.

Great minds and all that, CG! We had tacos! I pulled some shredded beef taco meat from the freezer along with some freezer Spicy Pinto Beans, and l/o Spanish Rice...presto dinner! We had the usual fixings of home-grown lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, cheese...and I remembered the picture! Soft tacos this time:

IMG_5758 (2).jpg

I had the end of the leftovers from that barley soup, plus a salad, still using the greens and parsley from out on my deck. Frost won't kill that stuff - has to be a deep freeze!

Great minds and all that, CG! We had tacos!...Soft tacos this time!
I tried the trick someone here mentioned a while back - I think it was Got Garlic. I put a hard corn taco shell in a soft flour tortilla flat. The tortilla was about an inch bigger all around, so I pleated and tucked the downhill side to catch and stop any drips. It worked like a charm! No dripping, no fillings falling all over. Just easy eating. Tasty, too.

I tried the trick someone here mentioned a while back - I think it was Got Garlic. I put a hard corn taco shell in a soft flour tortilla flat. The tortilla was about an inch bigger all around, so I pleated and tucked the downhill side to catch and stop any drips. It worked like a charm! No dripping, no fillings falling all over. Just easy eating. Tasty, too.

Oh, I use taco wrappers from Cash & Carry. I use them for sandwiches too. I can't stand sticky hands!

Oh, I use taco wrappers from Cash & Carry. I use them for sandwiches too. I can't stand sticky hands!

As a boy, when my mother would make fried chicken, my fingers would get the normal coating of grease on hem. I would force thumb, and fingers together, and run against each other. I was intrigued by the viscosity of the grease, and the staccato slippage of the skin against skin. Of course I was always told to quit playing with my food. However, I loved science, and experimentation. I was learning about friction properties, which served me well years later in physics classes.:mrgreen: My more normal, if often hateful cousins, would derogatively call me brain. I was too small to compete athletically with my peers. But I was always the leader in science projects, and group projects at school, even in my university days. And where shear body mass didn't matter, as in Judo, and wrestling in weight classes, I could out perform most of my pers.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
When our son was little, he would hold his toast with a napkin so his fingers wouldn't get greasy. The kids will be 41 next month and his sister still teases him about that...along with a whole lot of other things. [emoji38]

When our son was little, he would hold his toast with a napkin so his fingers wouldn't get greasy. The kids will be 41 next month and his sister still teases him about that...along with a whole lot of other things. [emoji38]

I have no brothers or sisters...but my Mom used to tell stories of when I was very young, if my hands got dirty, I would come to her showing my hands so she could clean them for me. Probably true, since I still can't stand dirty hands!

My Dearest Husband had surgery this morning and has
not been feeling so red hot today.
As I was reading over his post-op take home paper work,
(I was not allowed into the facility, he didn't remember a thing)
he is to eat light today and then gradually get
back to his regular diet.

View attachment 49701

So I brewed up a pot of his favorite Soup,
Chicken Noodle, heavy on the noodle :LOL:

That's what he and Mom had for supper; I had a leftover
Hot Dog and Coleslaw.

Halloween Candy will be dessert later ;)

I have a recipe for intense chicken soup, with a collagen rich broth, and all of the chicken flavor you could want. If interested, let me know. Just know that this is not a quick recipe. It's my best chicken soup recipe, and goes just as well with rice, pearl barley, egg noodles (or Kluski noodles), or biscuit style dumplings. It would also be good with spaetzle, or chicken wontons. I'm thinking the would be a good pho broth too. It's like the chicken version of demi glace.

I have no brothers or sisters...but my Mom used to tell stories of when I was very young, if my hands got dirty, I would come to her showing my hands so she could clean them for me. Probably true, since I still can't stand dirty hands!

I've been known to rinse the worm goo off of my hands in a creek while brook grout fishing, and then munch down my liverwurst sandwich.:LOL: It's just what we country kids did.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom