Not fond of tomatoes-what's your common food dislike?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
I can't think of when began to dislike tomatoes but I think my taste has changed over the years. What is your favorite dislike food?

I'm sure there will be one or two of those 23 varieties of tomatoes I'm growing this year that I won't like, but I know I'll like most of them. :LOL:

Mayonnaise is the one thing I can think of that I will not eat...except if I make it myself, but that is rare. My Mom used to keep out small amounts of macaroni and potato salads, and other mayonnaise drowned foods, for me to put my own dressing on, before this became common.

Cooked salmon is probably the biggest one. I'm not fond of cooked trout either, but it's not as horrible. I like both of those cold smoked.

Raw onions give me agita, big time. Otherwise, I will eat just about anything, but unless it was for survival, I draw the line at insects, rodents, and reptiles.

Kale (can't understand the fascination with that nasty stuff)
Olive Oil (unless it's the extra light tasting)
Nori (which is a bummer, because I like sushi, but I'll only eat it if it's prepared with sesame paper, rice paper or soy wraps)

I love Nigiri as long as there is no nori involved.

Kale (can't understand the fascination with that nasty stuff)
Olive Oil (unless it's the extra light tasting)
Nori (which is a bummer, because I like sushi, but I'll only eat it if it's prepared with sesame paper, rice paper or soy wraps)

I love Nigiri as long as there is no nori involved.

Amen and amen. :ermm::LOL:

Ross

Kimchee - I once saw a cooking show and with al the rage , I figured, let me give it a go ( haven't ever tried it before). I followed the directions and tasted it, and it plain old just tasted like crap. I figured, maybe I did something wrong, so I went to my local Asian store and bought some so I could do a comparison of my end product an what it was supposed to taste like. Found out that they both tasted the same ( like crap). A few years later , I have a Korean co-worker who also makes her own and when I told her the story, she insisted that hers was the best and she would bring me in some to sample. She did, and you guessed it, tasted like crap to me.

Seaweed or anything with that hint of ocean smell or flavor ( not talking about smelly fish, but just that 'coming from the ocean' scent/ flavor. I just dont get it. It sickens me. Some people blame it on the fact that im vegetarian, but thats not the case. When I drive by a house and smell someones grill going, Sure I know its meat, but that smokey grilling scent is great. ocean, not so good :)

Raisins- I dont absolutely hate them, but will always pick them out should they be present in what im eating ( granola, certain rice dishes ...). I love just about all other dried fruit.

Fake Maple syrup - Makes me gag. I love real maple syrup. The fake stuff tastes so different to me, I dont even know how they got that flavor and think it resembles the real thing.

Canned asparagus - food for the devil. its mushy and plain old gross.

Alcoholic beverages - Not that I despise it, just any ones that I've had I know I would like it better without the alcohol element in it.

Kimchee - I once saw a cooking show and with al the rage , I figured, let me give it a go ( haven't ever tried it before). I followed the directions and tasted it, and it plain old just tasted like crap. I figured, maybe I did something wrong, so I went to my local Asian store and bought some so I could do a comparison of my end product an what it was supposed to taste like. Found out that they both tasted the same ( like crap). A few years later , I have a Korean co-worker who also makes her own and when I told her the story, she insisted that hers was the best and she would bring me in some to sample. She did, and you guessed it, tasted like crap to me.......

Canned asparagus - food for the devil. its mushy and plain old gross

I take it you're not crazy about walking by that area in the Asian markets with those bins of fermented vegetable items - kimchee would be a deodorizer in that area! :LOL:

I agree with you about canned asparagus, as well as many other, severely overcooked vegetables, the worst of which are the various brassicas. I think this is why so many people hate so many vegetables, after eating this crap in their childhood. Why do people still buy these things in cans, when they are available fresh, in most places?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom