Not so great kitchen tools

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"I think all we need on this--besides the mysterious skull shaped icon--is a hand held video camera and a few girls willing to pretend they're screaming, and we could probably make millions $$$ on a direct to DVD release! :LOL: "

It'll be the next cult flick! Dude, I'm there!

My least favorite gadgets are ones that I have received from Pampered Chef. I attended a party that my best friend was throwing to help her earn a set of knives (she was successful!) and I bought a few things that looked good like a pastry cutter with a long handle, it looks kind of like a potato masher. The metal is too weak to handle cold fat to cut into flour, it just spreads. I bought a rotary cheese shredder and it broke in a month. I didn't bother to return either one, too much bother.

I do still use the goofy looking egg separator when I don't feel like doing it the old fashioned way, there are no edges that can puncture the yolk, it looks like a spiral basket on a handle.

My mom buys me some pampered chef gadget every christmas because a friend sells it, and I appreciate the thought and I use the stuff, but always think that for the price, you could get better stuff in Target.

Paella pan; I just don't have a way to use it effectively!
Everything else I've purchased after McGuyvering a way to do it previously enough times to know I need something specialized, so I don't have many kitchen gadgets that don't get used effectively.

I see a lot of people listing garlic presses. I love mine, and leaving the skin on the garlic makes cleanup a SNAP. Seriously. Don't peel the garlic before putting it in the press and you won't be left with that thin membrane nonsense clogging it up after ever clove.

There are people who don't peel the cloves before putting them through a garlic press??? :eek:

When I had a garlic press, I put the garlic cloves in without peeling them.

I wouldn't do it now. I have noticed how often there are brown bits on the garlic. I cut those off.

I'm beginning to understand why some people don't like garlic presses because they're difficult to clean.

From my experience a garlic press shouldn't be difficult to clean. The leftover pulp can get real sticky real fast but soaking it in hot water for a few minutes will take care of that problem.

Re: Post 44

It looks like an updated version of a WW2 gas mask to me.

My useless gadget was a mango slicer. Totes useless on ripe mango, much easier just to cut it up.

I have a garlic press which I like and no probs to clean.

I couldnt live without my beautiful black shiny Kitchen Aid. I love him. :yum:

buy italian truffles. you'll have to use it more.

they also have more of a nose... :cool:

Have you tried the Oregon truffles? Maybe when the new Wholefoods opens, I'll grab one, mind you a very small one. I have my mind set on white, but my wallet takes one look and runs for the hills!:(

Have you tried the Oregon truffles? Maybe when the new Wholefoods opens, I'll grab one, mind you a very small one. I have my mind set on white, but my wallet takes one look and runs for the hills!:(

A Scotsman takes out his wallet to pay the clerk. It has a velcro closing. As he open it, the wallet makes a loud sound. The clerk asks him, "Does your wallet always scream like that when you open it?"

Sorry folks. I couldn't resist. My bad!:ohmy:

ach!

best scottish joke punchlines:

spit it out, ya wee feckerrrrr.

well, stop clapping, ya evil bastard!

and in 2 weeks, you've got a diamond...

(anyone know the joke?)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom