Oatmeal cookie problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SweetQ

Assistant Cook
Hi, I'm new here and need some help. I've been cooking for over 40 years and I have yet to be able to bake a decent oatmeal cookie. I've never got them to flatten out they always stay in the same round shape that I put them on the cookie sheet. I've tried several different things and nothing works. I've bought new cookie sheets, tried different types of fats (butter, oil, margarine and shortening). The taste is fine but the shape is the problem. I tried making oatmeal scotchies yesterday and it was the same problem. Any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate it. SweetQ

SweetQ;
As a flour challenged individual...I don't bake. Having said that, I have heard of this problem before and the answer is almost always the same. Flour, oats and all other grains are agricultural products that ALWAYS vary in moisture content. As a rule...you will almost always have to adjust the amount of liquid in baking recipes either upward or downward. As I recall, OC dough is almost batter-like in consistency, hence the flattening out as it is cooked. So I would increase the liquid ingredients and try again.

Oatmeal cookies are notorious for not wanting to spread. Pros use a simple technique...flatten the cookie with a can or something similar before baking to the desired thickness. :D

Happy Cookieing :)

Oatmeal Cookie Recipe

I have an oatmeal cookie recipe that came on my tin of oats (1983) and it has NEVER failed me. This is my family's most requested cookie:

Famous Oatmeal Cookies
3/4 cup vegetable shortening (I use crisco)
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup water (room temp.)
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups oats, uncooked (I use old-fashioned oats, not quick)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon soda

Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Beat together shortening, sugars, egg, water and vanilla until creamy. Add combined remaining ingredients: mix well. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes. (For variety, add chopped nuts, raisins, chocolate chips or coconut.) Makes about 5 dozen cookies.

SweetQ: You should not have to press these cookies down....they will flatten themselves. GOOD LUCK!

NothernMI, see you just joined us, Welcome!

Question, is your Oatmeal cookie recipe soft and chewy? I love soft cookies and have been looking for a soft oatmeal cookie recipe.

Hi Chris

The cookie is only soft and chewy for the first hour or so, then it is somewhat firmer. Maybe if I kept them in a jar with a slice of apple instead of a tin they would stay soft longer. My sister makes the same recipe and gets a softer cookie...I think she uses quick oats...but Im not sure.... :D Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom