Official Dinner Thread for Wednesday the 26th ©

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Broiled kielbasa, buttered egg noodles and steamed broccoli.

B7F97E78-3B2C-419B-9C89-35E9AE710DB8_1_105_c.jpg

Asparagus soup, tom yum rice/peas/onions, kimchi w/extra apples. For dessert a handful of peppernuts, chocolate chips, raisins.

Completely uninspired, I let Joe do the heavy lifting. We had Trader Joe's Fiocchetti with Pink Sauce and some steamed broccoli. From freezer/fridge to plates in under 15 minutes. I need to rethink this cooking from scratch thing. [emoji1]

IMG_20220126_211339158_HDR.jpgIMG_20220126_211309325_HDR.jpg

Broiled kielbasa, buttered egg noodles and steamed broccoli.

View attachment 50847

We're having kielbasi (in a casserole nestled into butter sauteed onions, sauerkraut, and potatoes) tomorrow night.

My son's gf is Polish and loves my wife's Americanized version of how to serve kielbasi.
How do you say "smart girl" in Polish?

But really, it's delicious.

Asparagus soup, tom yum rice/peas/onions, kimchi w/extra apples. For dessert a handful of peppernuts, chocolate chips, raisins.

I have had a lot of kimchis in my life, but never fruit.
What am I missing?

Bucky, your dinner sounds delicious.

Kimchi....just shredded cabbage, diced up green onion, chopped apples, korean chili flakes, salt, sugar, lemon. It was an especially large granny smith. It gives it a sweeter and even crunchier texture/flavor.

Some of the kimchi recipes are so complicated and so many ingredients but I was hungry and in a hurry. I like it made lots of different ways. Today we ate it fresh and not fermented.

Are these a creation of your ingredients, or in an way a regional thing? Again, I've seen A LOT of types of kimchi, but never combos like that. But my experience is limited to only a familiarity with customs and ingredients through Korean friends and local businesses.

I just happened to buy three very large Korean pears last Monday. $10 for the trio. I'd explained this to my family in hopes to savor them.

I noticed that they were gone today. No one is home to mea culpa, or culpa anything!

Tonight, we had linguine carbonara and a salad of Boston lettuce, thinly sliced green cabbage, daikon radish, red onion, corn, peas, and homemade vinaigrette. I forgot to add the freshly ground, black pepper, so we each added a bunch at the table (after I took pix). That was my second time making it the Italian way. It was good. I didn't use guanciale, because I don't have a source, so I used some organic lardons.

Linguine carbonara and salad.jpg

Running errands so, we stopped for bento boxes.

Tempura shrimp for me, Ichiban chicken for Jeannie.

Later enjoyed banana pudding.

Ross
IMG_20220126_112757963_HDR.jpg

Bucky, not regional, I don't know anyone around here that has ever mentioned kimchi or served kimchi. This is Wisconsin.

When I've made the big complicated, many ingredient kimchi's they often have apples or pears and so I use what I have on hand. I usually ferment them a week at room temperature, then refrigerate. But this time, I threw it together and we ate it on the spot. Give apples a try when you get a chance. It's good.

Thanks, bliss. I will have to try it. I got a kimchi mix as part of a gift for Christmas, and now have a good reason to use it up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom