Oh, Boy! Hump Day again! Dinner? 1/5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Did NOT feel like cooking........ but ya gotta eat, right ?
But what a sloppy presentation.........

Shrimp & Penne under Vodka Sauce............

Shrimp & Penne with Vodka Sauce 1-5-21.jpg

We continue to experiment with the air fryer. Tonight we tried frozen french fries.

The AF manual suggested a total of up to 18 minutes at 400ºF. At 8 minutes they were already drying out.

IMG_4870.jpg

I bought a "Portuguese style butterflied whole chicken". I followed the instructions and put a piece of parchment paper on a sheet pan and the chicken, skin side up. I peeled a few potatoes and quartered them into wedges and put those around the chicken. I poured the marinade left in the bag over the potatoes. The instructions said 60-80 minutes at 190°C. I checked after 40 minutes and the chicken was up to temp. The thighs and drumsticks were at over 95°C. The breast was somewhere over 70°C, so I deemed the chicken done. Since it was done 20-30 minutes early, we skipped vegis. I had planned on making a salad during that time. It was really quite tasty and there is more than half a chicken left. I didn't get any pictures.

We continue to experiment with the air fryer. Tonight we tried frozen french fries.

The AF manual suggested a total of up to 18 minutes at 400ºF. At 8 minutes they were already drying out.

View attachment 50700

How do those come out in the regular oven? I have had better looking freezer fries from my toaster oven on convection. It's not air tight, like an air fryer.

The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men
Gang aft agley,

The plan was to order broasted chicken and jo-jo potatoes from a place here in Loverlyville. All the townies must have had the same idea. The eight piece order would have had one breast and the rest dark meat. I don't think so, Tim! Instead, I made tossed salads and toasted bacon and cheeses (baby Swiss and Colby) sandwiches on oatmeal bread. Bacon makes everything okay.

IMG_20220105_214216923.jpg

How do those come out in the regular oven? I have had better looking freezer fries from my toaster oven on convection. It's not air tight, like an air fryer.

I have yet to find anything I've cooked in the air fryer that was any better than the same food cooked in conventional ways.

It was suggested to me that frozen fries came out better than fries from scratch in the AF. We don't usually buy this type of frozen fries so it's hard to compare but they were nothing special.

My issue with the AF is that you have to learn yet another method to cook the same foods in a different utensil.

I rubbed a couple of turkey legs with porchetta seasoning (we love that stuff) and roasted them. Meanwhile, I jazzed up Stovetop Stuffing with freshly sautéed onions and celery and added some dried sage and thyme from the garden. And we had black-eyed pea salad leftover from New Year's Day.
20220105_194802.jpg

I have yet to find anything I've cooked in the air fryer that was any better than the same food cooked in conventional ways.

It was suggested to me that frozen fries came out better than fries from scratch in the AF. We don't usually buy this type of frozen fries so it's hard to compare but they were nothing special.

My issue with the AF is that you have to learn yet another method to cook the same foods in a different utensil.

As with many things, air frying isn't for everyone. And yes, its just another method of cooking. One which I took to fairly quickly.

Perhaps revisiting air fry cooking down the road may be better for you. :)

Ross

View attachment 50700

Andy, which AF do you have. We bought a Cuisinart 2 months ago, but we have yet to use it.

I keep planning on trying fried chicken or fish and chips in it, but it never seems to work out logistically for my family.

Andy, which AF do you have. We bought a Cuisinart 2 months ago, but we have yet to use it.

I keep planning on trying fried chicken or fish and chips in it, but it never seems to work out logistically for my family.

BT, it's a Corosi 5.8 Qt. Be prepared to learn yet another way to cook foods you already know how to cook by other means.

Be cautious of the recipes in the accompanying cookbook. Cooking times can be WAY off.

Ok, thank you.

I've only made fried chicken a few times in my life, so it'll be a new experience, for the most part, nonetheless.

There used to be a member here named Mama that had a great buttermilk fried chcken recipe that I was hoping to adapt.

Back
Top Bottom