OH - Cincinnati .. McCormick & Schmick's Seafood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toots

Head Chef
McCormick & Schmick's Seafood just opened in downtown Cincinnati and I made reservations for next Sat night. I know this is a chain, has anyone had dinner there and is it decent?

Toots, we have that chain here too. I believe it's supposed to be an "upscale" chain. Have not eaten there myself.

Hope your dinner is decent. It's gotta beat Captain D's, though, doncha think?

We go there for lunch occasionally. I'd rate it between OK and Good.

Their service is peevish and condescending, IMO. They also have the annoying habit of making a big production of printing the kinds of fish they have in the kitchen that day (waiter stresses that the menu is printed twice daily so that only the freshest fish is listed) only to NOT have what you want available for lunch. OK, if the menu is printed twice daily, print a lunch menu and then a dinner menu. Don't get me excited about the wild salmon if you won't let me order it.

They have cheap apps at happy hour time. At least here.

Ours are very good--2 in a mid-size city. Maybe the service is reflective of the city also--who knows. Maybe a "chain" but good food.

Thanks. I'm usually put off my chain restaurants (but I do love cheesecake factory - my guilty pleasure). The McCormick & Schmidt in Cincinnati is right on Fountain Square so I thought it would be nice setting to try dinner.

I'll post my thoughts after I dine there -

I ate at one in D.C. and enjoyed it. On the company's dime, so I didn't mind that it was pretty pricey. The food was good, had a nice atmosphere and the service was what it needed to be. I probably wouldn't go back if I were paying, but it was good to try.

been to the one in baltimore, which has fantastic scenery as its waterfront at the inner harbour.

i was on the company dime as well..so i want fazed by the high prices.

i thought the service was very good and the food was excellent!

hope u have a great time!!

Just to be accurate and fair... it is not really a chain. It is a corporate-owned group of restaurants. (Chain being a franchise operation, and thus independently owned) But lets not get caught up in semantics. The corporate owners go to great lengths to train their staff and to operate a fine restaurant.

I have eaten in McCormick and Schmicks from Portland to Baltimore and many places in between. They are an up-scale fish house. They offer good food well prepared. They are a little bit on the "spendy" side- obviously catering to the expense account crowd, but not prohibitvely so.

I am presently living in a seafood wasteland here in the intermountain west. I wish we had a M&S anywhere within a half days drive and I would be there for dinner tonight.

I envy you. enjoy.

Why do so many people have a problem with "chain restaurants?" They all started out as one restuarant, and became so popular that they opened another, and another, and another as word spread about how good they were. What is the big deal? Just remember, with 42 restuarants in several countires, Wolfgag Puck is now a chain, and with seven or eight restaurants all over the country, Emeril's will soon be a chain, too.

We ate there in Seattle, seems to me it is where this 'chain' generated from. Pricy, and the eve we went, the food wasn't all that good, but I too have heard it is overall a great restaurant to eat at.
B.

We went to the one in Charlotte, NC. The service was really good and the waitstaff was extremely "customer first" oriented. So, maybe it does depend on where you go. The food was extremely good and I would definitely go there again.

like several of the other posters, i've been there a few times on someone else's dime...for me, the one in baltimore, with a vendor that'd take our work crew out once a quarter. if the one you're at is anything like it, there's a ginormous cold plate appetizer (boiled shrimp, steamed mussels, half shell oysters, etc) that will easily snack 8 or more people. service was always quite frendly & great really considering that we'd descend on the place in a horde of 25+ during happy hour. let us know if the quality still keeps up ok when it's not a waterfront establishment (i.e., when the seafood has to be shipped further so not as fresh).

A chain does not mean franchise operation. It just means more than one and growing to add more. M & S is a chain operation as they try to make them consistently the same from restaurant to restaurant.

I've been to the Minneapolis restaurant several times for lunch and for dinner. I've never been disappointed.

BTW, there is now a new offshoot called M & S Grill by the McCormick & Schmick people. In Minneapolis it is a couple of blocks away from the regular McCormick's and Schmicks.

I'm glad to hear such good things about this place.

Husband bought me their seafood cookbook as part of my "Mother's Day" gift, & I want to try nearly every recipe - lol!!! In addition, the book came with a $10.00 off rebate for dining at any of their restaurants, so we're looking forward to visiting soon. They have several locations in the Northern VA area.

There are two close by (one at Lincoln Square here in Bellevue and the other at 1st and Spring in Seattle). I've tried both once and about all I can muster up is an unenthusiastic "meh" for them. The food was ok and so was the service but nothing to rave about. /shrug

Give me Salty's on Alkai any day of the week! or Shi-Lin or Sea Star or ... :chef:

For me the trouble with "chain" restaurants is that they lose a whole lot of their personality. It's hard to have individuality when you have very strict guidelines about what you cook, how you cook it, how you serve it, how it's presented and what it is priced at. Not that I don't eat at them once in awhile and not that I have never had a good meal at one. But the most exciting and memorable meals seems to come from restaurants that are definitely not part of a chain.

:heart:
Z

Whenever I stay after 8pm in the office they comp dinner, and McCormick's is usually my first choice when this happens.

It isn't Kinkead's or Black Salt (DC references), but it's solid seafood and surprisingly good beef, well prepared.

Nothing innovative or surprising, but I think it's still quite good. Their wood-grilled entrees are the best choices, particularly the trout, although they serve up a really tasty NY Strip as well.

I've eaten at the one in downtown Seattle. Service was good, and the food was pretty good. It's not top notch but the quality was good.

Back
Top Bottom