Oil - what kind for general use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My every day oil for frying is canola or corn oil. I also have peanut oil for high temp...

Actually, canola and corn oils have smoke points in the same range as peanut oil.

I have found every source of smoke point temperatures for fats differs a little from the others. There seems to be a consensus that these three oils are in the mid 400s for smoke points.

A lot depends on how much an oil has been refined. A highly refined peanut oil, for example, will have a higher smoke point than a less refined peanut oil.

Hey Andy wondering about that refinement and the effect on smoke point. Given that putting salt in to water raises the point at which it boils. What if salt or something else could be added to oil and raise the smoke point?

I don't the answer to that for sure but my instinct tells me that would't work.

Maybe someone else has a better answer.

i keep several kinds of oils/fat for my food, although if i were gonna keep a couple for general broad use- i'd keep canola & a EV olive. except for veal & delicate dishes, the olive would be for uncooked foods like salads & bread-dipping, the canola more for daily cooking.

Vegetable oil or canola oil for everyday cooking...i like it coz it has no after taste and you can cook anything with it

Hey Andy wondering about that refinement and the effect on smoke point. Given that putting salt in to water raises the point at which it boils. What if salt or something else could be added to oil and raise the smoke point?

Salt actually lowers the temperature at which water would boil. It lowers the "activation energy" required for a reaction to take place. I think it must do the same thing to the oil according to the link mcnerd posted for us.

For me, it's simple:

High heat - vegetable oil
Low heat - olive oil
Raw - extra virgin olive oil
Fries - peanut oil

for every day cooking = rice bran oil.
for high-heat cooking = rice bran oil
for deep-frying = rice bran oil
for salad dressings = evoo (frantoia)
for Asian salad dressings = rice bran oil

rice bran oil is proven to have LOTS of health benefits... the highest smoke point, and it has a very neutral taste.

Macadamia Nut Oil is quit expensive but it the best oil , This oil has a delicious, light macadamia nut flavor, making it especially complementary to fish, chicken, vegetables, baked goods, and salads. Its high smoking point also makes macadamia nut oil ideal for stir-frying and sautéing. Like olive oil, macadamia nut oil is highly monounsaturated. Look for macadamia nut oil in health food and specialty stores. You can use this if you really want a good result.

Back
Top Bottom