Old, Icy, Frozen French Fries = Amazing Hash Browns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhateverYouWant

Sous Chef
Ok… I have tried this twice now with old frozen steak/regular fries and they have turned out great. Take these old pups and put in a sieve and rinse under hot running water. Drain well, sandwiching between some towels (cloth or paper). Put them in a food processor and pulse a few times until coarse to medium chop.

Sandwich the output between pieces of wax paper (or plastic) and form into a 3/8 inch thick rectangle, with something to press it down so it is about the size of your largest spatula.

Add using spatula to shallow fry in cast iron around 350°F. Season with salt and pepper and use the spatula to collect any loose pieces into the rect for a few minutes, then flip to fry the other side and season, continuing to fry for a couple of more minutes (again collect any loose pieces using spatula into the rect as needed; there should be few, if any at this point). Remove via spatula and drain on paper towel. Yum!

taxy, I believe the 'hot water' alone would help bind together the frozen fries, which are already partially cooked and have oil in/on them. You're compressing them between the paper -

Sounds like a great recipe Scottin! ...in so long as there is no stale freezer taste on the taters!... Worth the try!

Nice save of the fries.

If you have a chance, try this: Put a portion of Tatertots in a dish and microwave to thaw them. Then fry the in a hot skillet. Great hash browns.

Never considered. It does sound interesting. But I just throw them away. Not proud of it, but we waste a lot of food around here.

They don't need a binder of some sort? Sounds interesting.
No. By the time they were ready to flip it was surprisingly cohesive.
I think wetting the fries and chopping them up somewhat would dissolve some of the starch in the potatoes, which would then bind it together as the patty heated up.

Great idea [emoji362]

Back
Top Bottom