OMG! You Just Won't Believe This!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
My husband forwarded me this news article from Honolulu Hawaii:

https://www.civilbeat.org/2021/06/9...y-its-so-expensive-to-eat-at-home-these-days/

NINE DOLLARS for a loaf of Bread?
:ohmy::ermm::censored:

OH MY GOSH!!!
The last time that we were home, I did take photos of some of the foods that I regularly purchase.

IMG_4166.jpg

IMG_4165.jpg

As I recall, a loaf of Safeway's Brand of White Bread was almost $5!!
I had said to DH that I could see the day that folks would soon be going back to the days of bartering! He didn't believe me!!!
As to having a small vegetable garden and livestock, most homes in Hawaii have something.

Actually, I do believe it. That's why I haven't bought any bread since '76! Except when Mom used to ask me to get her some, on the way over. :rolleyes:

Bread has always been one of the biggest "mark-ups" of all foods. In '75, when I joined a co-op, and learned how to make bread, they had 12 oz packs of yeast (only found the 3 packs anywhere else, back then), as well as dirt cheap whole grain flour. Even there, it was $3 for a 1 lb loaf of whole grain, and only cost me 17¢ to make the same thing! And 3¢, for a 1 lb loaf of white bread, but 99¢ on sale! Saving money was my initial reason for baking, but I quickly realized that it tasted better, as well.

Hawaii is an island. Remember how well the embargoes worked on Japan before WW2 ? That is because they are an island and do not have the land to grow adequate food. Well neither does Hawaii.

They did, but the influx of the "flown in" has added many to the "grown in".

T

The ShopRite brand called Bowl and Basket has a large loaf of white bread always .69¢ And that brand butter $2.49/lb. regular price. And they taste good.

T, I was born and raised on Oahu, hence my screen name, Kaneohe - the town I'm from, Girl In AZ - Arizona.
So, I respectfully disagree with your post.

Upon retirement, my husband and I moved to the mainland, where our fixed income goes a heck of alot farther.

First, yes, the island of Hawaii or as we call it "The Big Island" is an island.
But there are eight Islands within the main portion of the chain.
Starting from the South:
Hawaii
Maui
Kahoolawe
Lanai
Molokai
Oahu
Kauai
Niihau (a private Island actually, but still part of the State)

Within the entire Hawaiian Archipelago, there are approximately 132 Islands.

And no, not all foods are "flown in".

For starters, goods are brought in by Sea.
There has been a huge push in Hawaii to "buy local" for many, many years.
Dock strikes by the Hawaii Longshoremen and Stevedores always loom on everyone's minds in Hawaii.
I know all too well what it's like to survive in The 50th State.
Most folks are living pay check to pay check, working multiple jobs and living on multi-generational properties.
Many households have gardens or in the city, utilize the Community Gardens to help supplement their foods.
Many households raise livestock, at least outside of the city that is.
And people in Hawaii are the most kind and generous you'll ever meet.
They share what they have with others; help out their neighbors when and if they can.
Trade and barter has been ongoing in Hawaii communities for as long as I can remember.

We say, "Live Aloha" and this was from wayyyy before the mainland folks started " Be Kind".

I'll stop now ...

Back
Top Bottom