One-hit-wonder members...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to admit I am a lurker. Is that a bad thing? I am on quite often because I enjoy the discussions of the regulars and I like the what are you having for dinner. It is neat to see what other people are cooking. I love to cook so it is interesting to see what and how other people cook. I get the feeling that a lot of the regulars are chefs.

I get the feeling that a lot of the regulars are chefs.

Oh, heck no! I don't know about anyone else, but I am as far from being a chef as I am from being a manatee. I can still barely boil water without burning it.

If you've ever watched a Chef John video - well, I always thought I could make a small fortune if I could make videos of me cooking and call them "Chef John I Ain't".

I changed my mind because I didn't want to get sued by people who hurt themselves laughing.

And being a lurker means you are doing things the smart way, unlike someone like me who just jumps in and starts running her mouth. You know those people who just dive off of rocks and knock themselves out in the water before finding out how deep it is? Yeah, that's me.:LOL:

Last edited:
I have to admit I am a lurker. Is that a bad thing? I am on quite often because I enjoy the discussions of the regulars and I like the what are you having for dinner. It is neat to see what other people are cooking. I love to cook so it is interesting to see what and how other people cook. I get the feeling that a lot of the regulars are chefs.
No, lurking is not a bad thing. We just get curious about them once in a while [emoji2]

We have a few chefs here, but most of us are enthusiastic home cooks.

The who's online list also displays info about spiders - the search engine crawlers from google and yahoo that read public posts so that search engines can return hits on specific queries.

:

One day I was searching the forum (not this one but another) and I posed a question. Anxious for an answer I also put it on google - and the first answer that came up was my question from my own forum! LOL - I found it rather funny!

I don't think I've ever been afraid to post in any forum, but I have been a one or three hit wonder on a few forums when I've been "pounced on" for not understanding enough about a subject to be able to ask a good question. I just didn't go back since it wasn't a good experience.

Btw, lurker surfing is a hood way to pass the time. You get to see what people are searching for, and it often brings up interesting old discussions.

Is that a bad thing? Nope.

I get the feeling that a lot of the regulars are chefs. Nope. :LOL:

CD

It's not bad to lurk, but if you're going to come around you may as well let us know what you're cooking. ;) After all, that "like to see what others cook" thing goes both ways. You never know when your post might inspire someone else to cook that dish.

To wit, I say speak up boy, speak up:
175px-Foghorn_Leghorn_7214.png

I'm not a chef, but I have 50+ years experience of cooking...and a lot of mistakes behind me and yet to come! :LOL:

I remember the first time I posted on a forum. It's a lot like the first day of school. It's scary, especially when you have all these people who seem to be experts at what they're posting about. You don't know whether they're going to call you names, encourage you, laugh at you, or what. I think I have 6 or 7 forums under my belt now and it's still scary when I post in a new one for the first time.

I remember one of the first times I posted on a kayaking forum. Probably the first forum I ever belonged to. I was nervous since I was a beginner at both ( kayaking and posting), and Im not the most social person in the world. I lurked for a bit hoping my question would be answered without having to put myself out there. I experienced a lot of smart enthusiastic knowledgable people with good info. But I also noticed one or two 'Mr or Mrs know it alls' Who seemed to have an answer for everything, but never asked any questions. So I waited for the right time and finally posted my question. Some thing to the affect of which type of kayak should I buy, being that it was my first kayak. Im sure I went into more detail as far as my experiences, uses, where ID be kayaking .... Sure enough, the 'Forum A- hole' responded with a sarcastic " Why don't you get the red one". Basically implying that there are so many to choose from and that my question was very vague. Being a beginner at the time, I was kinda offended. Here I am trying to be a new member, putting myself out there to get advice, and he had to be such a D$%#. ( the answer was much more obnoxious sounding, I just can't remember, but it was clearly a rude, sarcastic answer). Problem is, that new members come on to a forum, not realizing the history or previous topic / questions answered, and often ask the same old thing ( that has been discussed 100 times before). Not their fault, cause its new to them. But for a more established member to make the poor bastard's ( me) first experience uncomfortable was a complete turn off. He could have engaged in a conversation by asking me to provide more info, or giving me a ling to previous discussion topics, websites ... I mean, the purpose of a forum is to be social and learn from each other. And a forum will never grow without new members. So, to make a new member feel inadequate in anyway made no sense to me. Luckily, others chimed in and provided me with good info . And yes, my first kayak was red ( not because he said so, but because I liked it). I was very polite and did not respond to his rudeness, but I'm kinda wishing the 'New Yorker ' came out of me that day :)

I continued to post, and was a member for a couple of years. I didn't want one bad egg to spoil the benefits I could ( and did ) get from being a member. It came to a point where I got all the info I needed for the level I wanted to achieve. Kayaking is fun, and I still do it , but its not a passion of mine, like cooking and gardening are. So now, I rarely fever pay it a visit.

yup Larry... every forum has a know-it-all and an a-hole... most times they are the same person... :LOL:

but..... the enjoyment we receive from interacting with the majority of a group makes that one person seem totally insignificant...

Ross

yup Larry... every forum has a know-it-all and an a-hole... most times they are the same person... :LOL:

but..... the enjoyment we receive from interacting with the majority of a group makes that one person seem totally insignificant...

Ross

Agree 100% but could be intimidating to a newby or a lurker hesitant to make that first post.

Kayaking is great fun, although I almost drowned trying to learn to eskimo roll. But that was in a skirted 'yak.

I've also been followed around in an open top ocean kayak by a small shark off the beach of Sanibel Island.
Had to change my shorts after that one,

Back on topic, the thing that I've heard far too often on forums is "Google is your friend."

Besides the wisdom and sage advice of experienced folks, the raison d'etre for a forum is the human interaction.

Back on topic, the thing that I've heard far too often on forums is "Google is your friend."

Besides the wisdom and sage advice of experienced folks, the raison d'etre for a forum is the human interaction.

Couldn't agree with you more.
Anyone could google anything. Thats the easy way out, and in some cases , a last resort.

But when I come to a forum and ask advice, what i'm hoping for is the experience and wisdom of others to help answer my question or guide me through a situation. We all have different backgrounds, experiences, family histories ....and also a personal connection. Googling is sometimes necessary, but getting the answers and opinions of people you've learned to know, respect and trust is more valuable ( at least to me, anyway).

I just responded to a new member with an odd screen name and unusual question. It will be interesting to see if he/she is another one-hit wonder. Hmmmm.

CD

Back
Top Bottom