One Hit Wonders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have often wondered about using a meat slicer to thinly ( 1/32"-1/16") slice cabbage.

Has anyone tried using a slicer to do this this???

I do 1-2 heads of red cabbage a week using a carbon steel Chinese vegetable cleaver, but sometimes I just feel lazy.

Cabbage is a problem to shred because it is so wide it won't fit in most mandolins. So you have to cut it up. And it won't fit in a food processor unless you cut it up. I know because I've done it by hand or food processor and by mandolin.

If it is something you'll use every week, then get a cabbage shredder/cutter. It is like a mandolin but has one or up to 3 blades where the head of cabbage is pushed across it and the shreds fall into a barrel or large kettle. Here's the old school method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRKBKFFQwH8

Cabbage is a problem to shred because it is so wide it won't fit in most mandolins. So you have to cut it up. And it won't fit in a food processor unless you cut it up. I know because I've done it by hand or food processor and by mandolin.

If it is something you'll use every week, then get a cabbage shredder/cutter. It is like a mandolin but has one or up to 3 blades where the head of cabbage is pushed across it and the shreds fall into a barrel or large kettle. Here's the old school method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRKBKFFQwH8
It only has to be cut into three or four pieces to fit in the Börner v-slicer I have.

I agree. And I have that Bormer V-slicer that they liked best. I like it. I seldom use the pusher. I use cut resistant gloves instead.
I've got one of those. it's a great advance on the old one I bought in France - very basic, wooden and with a blade that could slice your fingers off (no guard, unlike on the V-slicer).

I cut it in more pieces than that, as I don't like really long pieces of cabbage in cole slaw. I have a Borner as well, and start with the glove, and finish with the pusher.
Ah, I do it the other way around ;) I use the slicer, then run the knife over it.

Actually, I've gotten lazy the last few years and bought already shredded coleslaw mix ;)

When someone says meat slicer to me , my first thought is a rotary deli slicer. I guess I should have specified that was what I was asking about.

A mandolin might work, but it still would be doing it manually so I don't see much of advantage for me. I have never seen a cabbage slicer that will produce shreds as thin as I want, but I've never gone looking for one either. Will a cabbage slicer cut 1/16" or thinner?

I have used a food processor before, and cutting cabbage to fit in the feed tube is not a problem. The negatives are: I didn't get a consistent cut, as the cabbage would sometimes shift. I fill a 6 qt container to and keep it in the fridge the cabbage would start to brown after a few days, which doesn't happen using a sharp knife. Finally, the time and effort I saved using the processor were more than made up for during clean up. Tiny little bits that got into all sorts of difficult to clean places.

I want to thank everyone who responded.

Last edited:
I agree. And I have that Bormer V-slicer that they liked best. I like it. I seldom use the pusher. I use cut resistant gloves instead.

The second time I cut a fingertip off, I was wearing a cut-resistant glove. Never underestimate the power of a human being to hurt oneself. :rolleyes:

CD

If it is something you'll use every week, then get a cabbage shredder/cutter. It is like a mandolin but has one or up to 3 blades where the head of cabbage is pushed across it and the shreds fall into a barrel or large kettle. Here's the old school method:

My knife skills are mediocre, at best. But cabbage is easy, at least for me. I like a rough-cut, "country" shred for my slaw, which is generally more German/Mexican/Spicy style, than sweet, mayo style.

I also like my slaw free of fingertips (yeah, I'm still kicking that horse).

CD

We have several appliances that might be called "one hit wonders," but in our house they aren't sole performers.

As for waffle irons/makers, we have several...one that produces farm waffles (pig, barn, etc.), another that gives us roses, another that tickles our Disney fancies by making "Mickey" waffles. Plus, we have a traditional waffle and another that creates Belgian waffles.

We love novelty and, some days, Glenn may ask for Mickey, cows, or flowers.

It's just fun.

As for crock-pots/slow cookers, we also have several in a variety of sizes. It's not unusual for me to have the "big" one cooking a major entree, while another one is simmering a fruit or other side dish.

We are seasonal diners and, as the weather changes, our cooking style may include our quesadilla maker, which is a fun way to remember our warmer days.

I learned that a bread machine in which you can place ingredients at night and set a timer for finished bread in the morning is the absolute fastest way to gain weight.

It only took 6 weeks for me to donate it to the thrift store.

My Cuisinart ice cream maker gets far more use the last few years than before. Even "premium" ice cream at the store seems to be filled with gum-this and gum-that. It doesn't even get hard in the freezer. Yikes! Plus I can make lovely fruit ice creams and sorbets with liqueurs at home.

The mandolin went to the thrift store, too. It scared me.

I would have kept the George Foreman grill my mum gave me if the plates could have gone into the dishwasher. What a hassle to clean those fixed plates by hand!

Can't live without my food processors - all three! Small, large, and nut/spice grinder. LOVE freshly ground cardamom and nutmeg.

Last edited:
The mandolin went to the thrift store, too. It scared me.

Can't live without my food processors - all three! Small, large, and nut/spice grinder. LOVE freshly ground cardamom and nutmeg.

My mandolin scares me too, but It does such a good job, that I couldn't part with it. Ive only cut myself once on it, so Im going by the ' hopefully you learn after your first mistake' rule. But that thing is like a finger Guillotine.

I also have the 3 food processor/ blender thing going on. Each serves a different purpose. They are some of the few appliance/ gadgets I keep up in the kitchen, as they are used frequently. they can be a pain to clean also, sometimes, but thats where my wife comes in. Her standard of clean is much better than mine, so even though I dont mind washing and cleaning things, they often get rewashed by her cause it wouldn't meet her standards, so why do it twice :)

My mandolin scares me too, but It does such a good job, that I couldn't part with it. Ive only cut myself once on it, so Im going by the ' hopefully you learn after your first mistake' rule. But that thing is like a finger Guillotine.

I also have the 3 food processor/ blender thing going on. Each serves a different purpose. They are some of the few appliance/ gadgets I keep up in the kitchen, as they are used frequently. they can be a pain to clean also, sometimes, but thats where my wife comes in. Her standard of clean is much better than mine, so even though I dont mind washing and cleaning things, they often get rewashed by her cause it wouldn't meet her standards, so why do it twice :)
Personally, I appreciate the "prewash". Some things are going to need to be washed twice no matter how picky the person doing the first wash is. Saves me one round of washing that item. Yeah, I'm the one who can see more dirt at our house.

I have an Oxo mandoline (straight blade, but cuts easily), and I too never use the pusher. I've never had an issue using cut resistant gloves - not only do they protect my fingers, but I can get a better grip on the usually wet or moist veggies. I run the food down to less than a 1/2" stub, then on to the next one. Works great for me.

One hit wonders...hmmm...

I guess my most notable one was the Showtime Rotisserie Grill. Cooked great, I'll say that much for it, but lord what a pain to clean, and we kept finding little pieces of plastic on the shelf under it with no idea how they broke off. Finally tossed it after only using it 4 or 5 times.

Back
Top Bottom