Onion Tart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
I made this up the other night to serve as a side with steak. Everytime I make it, it is a bit different depending on what is available in the house. Outside of the shell, onions and cheese, you can substitute or exclude most of the other ingredients to suit your taste. These are the ones I used for this one.

1 Tortilla Shell
3-4 onions
minced fresh garlic
tsp brown sugar
beer
thyme
allspice
bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
Shredded Mozzerella
Grated Parmesan
Peppercorn Asagio
Fresh Parsley

Fry onions and garlic in olive on med heat for a few minutes, Add sugar and continue to fry on med-low heat until onions become dark(about 20 minutes) Add a couple of glugs of beer, they thyme and allspice, and reduce until beer has evaporated. Make sure to clean up the brown bit bottom of the pan with a spatula. Allow onions to cool for 15 minutes.

Place shell on pan and spread onions evenly over it. Cover with cheese blend and parsley. Bake at 425 in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes until top is brown and bottom is crispy. Enjoy.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:
I made this up the other night to serve as a side with steak. Everytime I make it, it is a bit different depending on what is available in the house. Outside of the shell, onions and cheese, you can substitute or exclude most of the other ingredients to suit your taste. These are the ones I used for this one.

1 Tortilla Shell
3-4 onions
minced fresh garlic
tsp brown sugar
beer
thyme
allspice
bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
Shredded Mozzerella
Grated Parmesan
Peppercorn Asagio
Fresh Parsley

Fry onions and garlic in olive on med heat for a few minutes, Add sugar and continue to fry on med-low heat until onions become dark(about 20 minutes) Add a couple of glugs of beer, they thyme and allspice, and reduce until beer has evaporated. Make sure to clean up the brown bit bottom of the pan with a spatula. Allow onions to cool for 15 minutes.

Place shell on pan and spread onions evenly over it. Cover with cheese blend and parsley. Bake at 425 in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes until top is brown and bottom is crispy. Enjoy.

Oh. Tortilla pizza! :pig::pig::ROFLMAO:

Thanks for a great sounding. Lotta ways to play with it. I printed my copy out already.

Last edited:
When I first made them I used pastry crust but soon moved on to different bottoms out of convenience. So, yeah, I guess it is a Tortilla pizza.:LOL:

With so many DCers making pizza at home I was planning to either buy pizza dough or make it. I just never thought how perfect a flour tortilla would be. I love that I won't have to bake as I always keep some on hand. Now, I can concentrate on fillings.

With so many DCers making pizza at home I was planning to either buy pizza dough or make it. I just never thought how perfect a flour tortilla would be. I love that I won't have to bake as I always keep some on hand. Now, I can concentrate on fillings.

Pizza is one food my daughter will always eat. So, I have used many things to give her pizza like food to get her to eat something when I knew she wasn't going to go for whatever else was on. Bisquick is also good and fast.

We had steak last night and I was given a request for my Onion thingy. Here are a few photos.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 205
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 193
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 206
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 209
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 202
Rocky mate a few things are torturing me at present, the smell of onions frying is one, I can smell your pic:neutral: I wish I could eat it.

Thanks. It has a very rich, sweet flavor. I fry the onions for a good half an hour, and with the addition of white wine, the smell becomes quite wonderful. Frying that long really takes the fight out of the onions, so it has a mellow flavor and is a lot easier on the ol'digestive system than quick fried or raw onions can.
I usually start with one slice , but somehow it is all gone come clean up.

Last edited:
My husband is crazy for anything onion, Rock. I can't wait to make this as a side for steak. I predict this side recipe will be as popular as the "Mushroom Gratin". :clap: Genius!!

My husband is crazy for anything onion, Rock. I can't wait to make this as a side for steak. I predict this side recipe will be as popular as the "Mushroom Gratin". :clap: Genius!!

Now we are covered with a choice for every other day.:chef:

What famous U.S. historical figure had onions as his favorite vegetable and drove his wife crazy because she couldn't always get them or grow them?

Thanks. It has a very rich, sweet flavor. I fry the onions for a good half an hour, and with the addition of white wine, the smell becomes quite wonderful. Frying that long really takes the fight out of the onions, so it has a mellow flavor and is a lot easier on the ol'digestive system than quick fried or raw onions can.
I usually start with one slice , but somehow it is all gone come clean up.
Rocklobster--do you sweat them or fry them?

Back
Top Bottom