Online Groceries - Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mzdee99

Assistant Cook
i have to get around by using public transportation,,which is really fine by me,
the only trouble is trying to get around with a weeks worth of food for DH and I and a very hungry kitty,,,lol
i can go more than once a week...but had thought about online shopping maybe
we are on a massively tight budget....so i may be out of luck
any tips are appreciatted
TIA

You don't indicate where you live but, regardless, even though online grocery shopping can be convenient, it's also potentially expensive. As the saying goes, one pays for convenience.

Occasionally, in the past, I purchased some hard-to-find items from Netgrocer.com. They're still around and you might want to check them out, but I'd recommend comparing "apples to apples" with specific items for which you are shopping to see how they would fit within your budget.

Check your local ads, many of which can be found online if you don't subscribe to an area newspaper. You might be able to avoid Internet shopping if you surf your ads and shop the sales.

You don't indicate where you live but, regardless, even though online grocery shopping can be convenient, it's also potentially expensive. As the saying goes, one pays for convenience.

Occasionally, in the past, I purchased some hard-to-find items from Netgrocer.com. They're still around and you might want to check them out, but I'd recommend comparing "apples to apples" with specific items for which you are shopping to see how they would fit within your budget.

Check your local ads, many of which can be found online if you don't subscribe to an area newspaper. You might be able to avoid Internet shopping if you surf your ads and shop the sales.
im in NC right now
i didnt think it really mattered since is was online,,,BUT i have been looking aorund and have found otherwise,,,lol
as much as i DONT LIKE WALMART,,,i may just break down and buy some of the things like catfood online
cheaper than my local store,,,,and saves room in my backpack for people food
i looked at netgrocer and it was VERRRYY pricey
im a store brand/coupon/adlis kind of girl
I shop at either Bi Lo...sav a lot or aldis...depending on the week

I don't think "pricey" is unique to Netgrocer and some items, because of their weight, would be quite costly I would imagine.

We have Aldi here and it's fantastic. I can't imagine how families with children shop without going there if it's available to them. Now, I do understand that quality can vary among the different Aldi stores and regions, but the ones I've frequented have been stellar.

When our children were at home, I was the coupon queen, but that's how we were able to eat good foods and eat reasonably well. I haven't changed even though it's just the two of us. No reason to. A bargain is a bargain and stretching a dollar is even more important now...especially with the numbers we see on the gas station signs.

I don't think "pricey" is unique to Netgrocer and some items, because of their weight, would be quite costly I would imagine.

We have Aldi here and it's fantastic. I can't imagine how families with children shop without going there if it's available to them. Now, I do understand that quality can vary among the different Aldi stores and regions, but the ones I've frequented have been stellar.

When our children were at home, I was the coupon queen, but that's how we were able to eat good foods and eat reasonably well. I haven't changed even though it's just the two of us. No reason to. A bargain is a bargain and stretching a dollar is even more important now...especially with the numbers we see on the gas station signs.
i was a nerd to think i could buy online for close to the same price,,,,lol
the aldis here is not amazing but its pretty darn good
I love it
cheap ground turkey....decent produce,,,great prices on rice and beans
and salad mix for a lil over a buck
i cant imagine how people DONT shop there and can afford to eat
and their salad dressings?
soooo good

The last time I checked out online shopping, it would have been cheaper to place a phone order and pay the delivery and tip the delivery guy. Heck it would have been cheaper to have the store send it in a taxi. I actually knew someone who arranged with a store to send her groceries to her by taxi cab.

Before I had a car, I sometimes went to the store and then had it delivered.

I think what you might be looking for is Grocery Delivery. Is there a Giant in your area? They offer (in some places) PeaPod. Online shopping and delivery. I personally would save money if I could shop this way. I seem to go into a trance when I enter a Grocery Store, come out with way more then I need or can really afford and HUNGRY after looking at all of the food.
Hopefully Babetoo will see this thread and help you out. She shops online.

I guess I'm the atypical female. I loathe shopping of most any kind and grocery shopping because it's like dust, has to be done regularly, is my least favorite.

I'm a list-maker and have, fortunately, been one to stick to my list regardless of all the tempting that is thrust at me from the store's end caps and displays. I also shop from the sales and what is in season AND I never shop when I'm hungry. That only makes things worse.

Another thing I do, which is a throwback from when all my children lived at home, is to have a master plan of sorts of what I wish to serve in the coming week or weeks, so I can take advantage of specials and buy multiples of those items that are more costly.

You might investigate co-oping with a friend or neighbor if you don't think you would use larger-sized items. That way both of you could save and still have a variety of goods from which to choose.

I guess I'm the atypical female. I loathe shopping of most any kind and grocery shopping because it's like dust, has to be done regularly, is my least favorite.

I'm a list-maker and have, fortunately, been one to stick to my list regardless of all the tempting that is thrust at me from the store's end caps and displays. I also shop from the sales and what is in season AND I never shop when I'm hungry. That only makes things worse.

Another thing I do, which is a throwback from when all my children lived at home, is to have a master plan of sorts of what I wish to serve in the coming week or weeks, so I can take advantage of specials and buy multiples of those items that are more costly.

You might investigate co-oping with a friend or neighbor if you don't think you would use larger-sized items. That way both of you could save and still have a variety of goods from which to choose.

I never go into the store hungry, I come out hungry.:ROFLMAO:

i have shopped on line for all groceries for six years. my local market that does it is vons. i generally shop once a month. i buy everything there, paper goods cat food etc. everything!.the delivery is just shy of ten dollars. i generally spend $300, once the price goes above $150 the delivery drops to $6.95. they deliver to my house and bring into the house for me. they separate the frozen and fridge.. items and place on my island. the rest goes on the dining table. that way if i am in a hurry, the perishables get put away and i can do the rest later. once in awhile i will order a small bit . usually only at the holidays, stuff for guests, etc. you can pick the time for the delivery. can do within an hour, but that is more expensive. so two hour or four hour window for me.

the specials balance out that i can't use coupons. buy one, get one free, etc. and in store specials and some promos. vons site is very user friendly, you can shop, and not get back to it for several days. it is saved. you can add and take away from your cart anytime, you like even after you have sent the order. because it is listed in aisles just like the store, i can compare prices (more easily actually) and get the best buy.

it would cost me ten dollars to take a cab to store and back. then would have to tip driver to carry them in for me. the young men from the store are not allowed to take tips.

frankly i don't know how i did without it for so long., good luck. anymore questions you can pm me if you like.

I had a friend who lived in San Francisco and didn't have a car. When she needed groceries she would take a bus to the Safeway, buy her groceries, then take a cab home. It worked fine for her for years.

Back
Top Bottom