Oops! with the cast iron. Will it survive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So ... for the sake of this conversation, I'm going to say my wife totally did this. I'm lying, but that's what I'm going to say.

After dinner, "she" cleaned the griddle, and set on stove to dry and season on medium-high. Then it was forgotten about and "she" walked away. Realizing the mistake a full hour later "she" turned it off. "She" feels bad that "she" made a mistake.

The gray area is rough, like I'd assume naked iron feels like.

So, what's the damage? Did the season just get burned off and the whole thing just needs reseasoning? Or is it damaged?

Attachments

• 20211219_212119.jpg
    20211219_212119.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 57
Not damaged, just re-season IMHO. Might have to do it a couple of times and you might still see the mark but it will work fine. Oil it up good, wipe down well.

Unless it was left on the burner long enough to start melting, I don't think anything but the seasoning could be damaged. I have no idea how long it would take to melt cast iron on a stove, but I think it would be a long time, it it is even possible.

Alright, that's what I figured. Thanks guys. I'll get to reseasoning over the next few days. This is one of our more used pans, so I imagine it'll be back in top shape before long.

Take home lesson from all of this, Don't let "HER" touch your stuff again.

I learned that lesson when my "Wife" tried to crack open a coconut with my cleaver ( blade side) and left a huge chip on the cutting edge. I never would have done that:ermm:

I'm curious. At no time during the hour when "she" left the griddle on the burner did "she " smell anything unusual? Do you have functioning smoke alarms in the house?

I'm curious. At no time during the hour when "she" left the griddle on the burner did "she " smell anything unusual? Do you have functioning smoke alarms in the house?

Yeah.

Jeannie always knows if I walk away with the CI on the hot stove. Chastises me and I can't say a thing to justify my idiocy. :ermm:

Ross

This is a good question. Yes, the smoke alarms work. But there was no out of the ordinary smoke or smell to speak of. My wife (the real one this time) just yelled at me to find out why the stove was still on. So I guess she was the alarm.

Well, don't feel too bad. My I once left my 10" CI skillet in the oven and ran it through the self-clean cycle. Boy did that thing get clean! Not a bit of seasoning left on the entire pan.

Back
Top Bottom