Ostrich in a whisky sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madcitypaul

Assistant Cook
I am a home-brewer in my spare time, and a couple months ago came up with a bitter-sweet porter. I was trying to come up with a recipe that would really go well with it, and came up with this Ostrich fillet with a Whisky Cream Sauce. Man! It was a hit! And it was pretty simple, too.

Ostrich, you know, is a really really lean meat, so you do have to be a little more careful cooking it than a steak, but you can season and cook ostrich like you would a regular beef steak.

To start, I melted some butter, and cooked a few whole peppercorns until they started to make the butter aromatic. I rubbed the ostrich with salt, garlic, and black pepper...not much, just a little seasoning. Then cooked it to medium. in that same pan with the peppered butter. I took out the ostrich, and covered it, and kept it warm, while finishing the sauce.

I took a couple table spoons of whisky, and lit it on fire, until the alcohol had coked off. Then I added just a little honey, and equal parts heavy cream and beef stock. From there, I just simmered until it had cooked down and was thick and creamy. Then added about a teaspoon of some spicy dijon mustard, and mixed it well.

And that's it! so easy, and one of the best sauces that has come out of my kitchen!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom