Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks so much mad cook, taxlady and gg--everybody, for your kind and helpful responses to my new puppy question. the dogtime link in particular, looks to be a terrific source of information for the new GD pet owner. i have sent that one on to my girl's fb page. it's certain to serve as a useful practical guide and reference tool for her getting to know and care for her new doggie.

Rosie the Tuxedo Cat

Right, now I'm getting worried.

I collected Rosie yesterday evening at 6pm. I was given some of her favourite wet food and kibble, her bedding toys and the litter she's used to.

I set everything up in the kitchen while she was still in the car. Brought out the cat carrier. Put it down on the kitchen floor opened it up and let her come out in her own time. She surveyed the territory for 5 minutes then came out and explored a bit then came and sat under my chair. She ignored her toys and food and apart from looking at it and walking through it she showed no interest in the litter tray.

I stayed in the kitchen with her, pottering about and tidying up and from time to time sitting down with a cup of tea. She didn't emerge from under the chair all this time until I moved the chair, at which she came and put her paws on my knees. I picked her up and stroked her and put her down again and she went back under her chair. I went to bed at about 11.30 and she still hadn't eaten, drunk or used her tray. Neither had she "been" anywhere else in the kitchen (kitchen has hard flooring which is why I started her there so I'd know if she did her business anywhere else.

Got up late and she still hadn't done any of the above but was lying in her bed. She got up and said good morning and stalked off to sit under the chair again.

She is quite calm and doesn't seem distressed in any way apart from a loud yowl or two when I first said good morning. I opened another pouch of food to see if it would tempt her but she didn't even sniff at it. I gave her a tiny sliver of tuna when I was making a sandwich which she sniffed, looked at in disgust and ignored it.

It's now 3pm today and she still hasn't eaten, drunk or used the tray and is yowling pathetically when she sees me.

We were going to the vet tomorrow to register her as a patient and get her jabs done, etc., but I'm beginning to think I should be a bit worried.

I wouldn't worry too much yet. We adopted a cat from a shelter last year and put her in the dining room (we can close it up) with food, water, a bed and a litter box. She hid behind the china cabinet for two days and didn't touch anything as far as we could tell. But eventually she started using everything and has become a sweet, friendly pet. Cats hate change and need time to get used to it. I think Rosie will be fine.

Henri, I made the mistake once of changing litter and Latte would not use it...that little brat held it in for three days before she exploded all over her favorite blanket. She will also not eat if there is any change in the food. Shrek said, when I was gone for 4 days she would not eat or drink, but was fine once I got home. She always comes around and so will Rosie. She is still checking out her new surroundings.

Best laugh in weeks!

This morning, while getting stuff out to make the crepes for our blintzes, I accidentally dropped an egg right in front of the fridge as I was getting them out of the egg bin. Of course it just splatted and broke. The door is low to the ground so I couldn't close it. I grabbed some paper towels from the opposite counter, cleaned up what I could with dry ones, then went back to get some damp ones to finish cleaning. Little Miss Mindy and Mork decided they needed to come see what was going on and investigate that big white box that they have never really gotten to check out. So, as I bend over to wipe the floor, I go to shake out the damp towels. I guess Mindy was really intent on checking out the big cold box (she has a SERIOUS box fetish/addiction) and the sudden jerky movements of my hand, combined with the towels expanding from being scrunched up to squeeze the water out frightened her. She went to take off running, barreled into Mork who was standing just outside the kitchen in the dining room, BOUNCED off him, and then had trouble getting traction so you can hear the scrabbling on the wood floor. She finally managed after several panicked seconds to take off with Mork right behind her because I guess he figured since she was hightailing it out of the area that maybe he should too.

You just had to be there, it was absolutely hilarious. I was laughing so hard I could barely stand up and had to lean against the fridge and had tears coming out of my eyes. By the time I was able to stand up, Mindy had decided to cautiously make a return. She was just around the corner trying to peek into the kitchen, all scrunched down, ready to run if need be, and had this look on her face like what in the heck was that and is it safe now or do I need to run again? Which, of course, set off another round of laughter for me.

Last edited:
Love the story Medtran. I can see it in my mind's eye. "Expanding scrunched up paper towel. Eek, Run for your life." :ROFLMAO:

And that scrabbling to get traction thing. :LOL:

I hear ya on that one.

Like a lot of small dogs, Teddy every so often will stand on his front legs to urinate. The first time he did it he was still a puppy. I just happened to be outside when Spike showed up with him. I was sitting on the bench talking to some of the old biddies that live in the building. He came right up in front of all of us and stood on his front legs and did his thing. We all starting laughing so hard it is a wonder none of us had a heart attack. Even Spike was laughing. Spike had his cell phone with him and managed to catch him doing his little circus act. :angel:

I hear ya on that one.

Like a lot of small dogs, Teddy every so often will stand on his front legs to urinate. The first time he did it he was still a puppy. I just happened to be outside when Spike showed up with him. I was sitting on the bench talking to some of the old biddies that live in the building. He came right up in front of all of us and stood on his front legs and did his thing. We all starting laughing so hard it is a wonder none of us had a heart attack. Even Spike was laughing. Spike had his cell phone with him and managed to catch him doing his little circus act. :angel:
I saw one of the squirrels in the backyard do that, while he was standing on the fence. :LOL:

I wouldn't worry too much yet. We adopted a cat from a shelter last year and put her in the dining room (we can close it up) with food, water, a bed and a litter box. She hid behind the china cabinet for two days and didn't touch anything as far as we could tell. But eventually she started using everything and has become a sweet, friendly pet. Cats hate change and need time to get used to it. I think Rosie will be fine.
Thanks, GG. Yes, I've decided to leave her to her own devices and hope she'll come round. She sneaked into the dining room at about 4pm and hid under the sofa and is still there. I'll let her get on with it.

Her former foster mum gave me some of the cat litter she's used to and some food and I'd already asked for details and bought some in. She came with her own cushion for her bed so it's not been too much of a change.

Hopefully she'll come round.

Bath Time For The Puppies

Some day I'll have normal dogs that won't like getting a bath.

I've been asked by the local P.D. to bring my dogs in tomorrow for a photo op for them. They've taken over animal control duties from another town.

Since we were the first ones to actually go in and renew their licenses they're pretty excited about it. Talking with them while they were implementing all the information into their comps. I gave them an idea to open up another phone line that's just for animal control purposes. Yep scored points there. They want to be able to match up a pics with tags #'s and Home Again chips.

Now getting back to the bath. Trust me I'm dreading it.
My GR is heavier than I am. Foo-Foo is a little on the porky side herself. But at least I can pick her up.

Why is it that every time I give them a bath they fall asleep?
I swear if I wasn't holding onto their collars they would drown.:ROFLMAO::LOL:

Nothing is never ever normal around here.:ermm:

Thanks, GG. Yes, I've decided to leave her to her own devices and hope she'll come round. She sneaked into the dining room at about 4pm and hid under the sofa and is still there. I'll let her get on with it.

Her former foster mum gave me some of the cat litter she's used to and some food and I'd already asked for details and bought some in. She came with her own cushion for her bed so it's not been too much of a change.

Hopefully she'll come round.

mc, let me add my voice to the others in assuring you that your kitty's avoidance response to her new home environment is quite common and not harmful to her health. i did not see bb, the kitty i adopted on march 6,until may 2nd. for an entire TWO MONTHS, he stayed totally out of sight, concealed in a 'hidey hole' behind the cabinets in the kichen, or under the bed in the spare room. at first i wasn't overly concerned, thinking he would come around in a few days. in the beginning, days went by that he didn't eat or disturb his kitty litter. 10 days in, i was ready to give up. bb was obviously not happy, and only came out nocturnally on occasion for a bit of dry food, and to tear up the linoleum in front of his hidey hole in the kitchen. the only reason i didn't return bb to the shelter that first month was that i wasn't able to flush him out from his hiding place. then, two or three times, i caught him by surprise, at his food bowl, but all i ever saw was this blurry streak of orange and a fluffy tail as he sped past me to his other refuge. honest-to-god i was looking on ebay for a nanny cam (well, kitty cam, actually) to buy, thinking it might be the only way i'd ever get to lay eyes on this cat of mine! then, one fine day in may, at about 3:20 ayem, bb came sashaying into my bedroom, pretty as you please, and introduced himself, tail sticking straight up in the air like a fat fluffy flag pole. he jumped up on my bed, as if he belonged there, and proceeded to love on me up and down and all over, eager to be stroked and scratched, nudging against me, kneading and purring, getting acquainted, and making up for all that lost time. we occupied ourselve in that fashion for better than two hours that morning, and that was the beginning of our strange but beautiful relationship, almost one year ago....mad cook, your kitty is already showing signs of interest and acceptance around you. she will come around, but she is a cat, so it will have to be on her terms. but don't worry, and once she decides you can be trusted, she will make it all worth your time and trouble with her adorable soft kitty ways and wiles....

I'm going to kick myself when you tell me but what is a GR?

Tried to look it up with no luck but found this - A German Sheeppoodle.

German Sheeppoodle Information and Pictures, German Sheeppoodles

Don't you think the GSD part of him looks embarrassed?

LOL..:LOL:

GR, is my Golden Retriever
Foo- Foo is a Poodle mix.

I'll take the Sheepdoodle dog home. What a cutie! Looks very huggable.

We decided at the last minute not to take the dogs in. My GR had just gone to the vet that morning to have a procedure done. He was too tired and sore from that long trip to the vet. He has the beginnings of hip displacia. Foo-Foo is completely blind. She would have been too spooked without him to go. He leads her around when she gets lost in the back yard, comforts her when she gets scared.

So it was best for them not to do it.Let someone else be the first. They might have younger dogs.

LOL..:LOL:

GR, is my Golden Retriever
Foo- Foo is a Poodle mix.

I'll take the Sheepdoodle dog home. What a cutie! Looks very huggable.

We decided at the last minute not to take the dogs in. My GR had just gone to the vet that morning to have a procedure done. He was too tired and sore from that long trip to the vet. He has the beginnings of hip displacia. Foo-Foo is completely blind. She would have been too spooked without him to go. He leads her around when she gets lost in the back yard, comforts her when she gets scared.

So it was best for them not to do it.Let someone else be the first. They might have younger dogs.
Durr! Golden Retreiver - OF COURSE!!!! I now have a large bruise where I kicked myself!

Hello, fellow DC cats (and kittens)

After some very hard work involving sleeping under the sofa for hours at a time I now have the servant well trained. I curled up in her lap tonight for the first time and made her stroke me and tell me how beautiful I am. I've also told her that my name is "Dinner" and she must call me by it at least 3 times a day.

However, I shall have to do something about that pesky printer thing as she set it off and it scared the daylights out of me.

Purrs and regards

Rosie The Tux.

Hello, fellow DC cats (and kittens)

After some very hard work involving sleeping under the sofa for hours at a time I now have the servant well trained. I curled up in her lap tonight for the first time and made her stroke me and tell me how beautiful I am. I've also told her that my name is "Dinner" and she must call me by it at least 3 times a day.

However, I shall have to do something about that pesky printer thing as she set it off and it scared the daylights out of me.

Purrs and regards

Rosie The Tux.

Well, now that you have MC well trained, make sure she stays that way. Remember if you give her an inch, she will........ Well you know the rest.

And BTY she has another pet. It's name is Tetley. It's a horse. But you needn't worry yourself about that one. It is not allowed in the house and lives down the lane. Further than you would want to wander. Although I hear they have some tasty mice there. Maybe if you ask her nice, she will bring one or two home for you. So if she comes in the house smelling rather strange, it is just that horsey smell. Don't fret. She will take a shower sooner or later. :angel:

Hi Rosie,

The printer scared me too at first but it won't hurt you and it's fun to try to catch the paper as it goes in and when it comes out. You do have to watch out for expanding wet paper towels though cause they might get you! The servants use them to clean up messes so beware.

Mindy

Last edited by a moderator:
The Rersult of Teddy's Dastardly Deed

The second one is the mother, a Yorkie. Teddy is a Maltese. The last picture is Teddy before he went for his spring haircut this morning. The daughter was born a very dark brown. Her legs are long and spindly and she stands taller than Teddy, her father.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 216
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 222
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 227
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg