Oven barbecued ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
I have never cooked ribs inside the house, but outside isn't an option right now. I always have heard of cooking ribs in the oven, have you done it? I'm not looking for something soaked in "liquid smoke". I don't have an exhaust fan in my kitchen, so it can't be something that creates a lot of smoke when cooking. Anyone got any ideas? It'll be at least another month before we brave the cold!

Using ground Chipotle pepper creates a smokey flavor. You can add some to your favourite sauce.
I cook, covered, on low heat 250-300, in tomato juice and a spice rub for a couple of hours. I've also used 1 part water to 1 part ketchup. Enough so that there is about an inch in the bottom of the pan.
Then I take them out and place them on a rack or cookie sheet and turn the heat up to about 375 and start to lay the sauce to them. I continue to flip and sauce every 10 minutes until the sauce starts to thicken and it creates a nice sticky layer. You can do this for quite a while until they are done to your liking.
You can wrap them tightly in foil for another 30 minutes before serving if you want to go through the trouble.

Last edited:
I just use a dry rub, place in the pan, cover well with "Oven Approved" plastic wrap and foil. No liquid. Slow roast until done. Uncover and pour on the favorite BBQ sauce and heat through. Or just serve with warmed BBQ sauce. (My favorite for monitoring sugar intake)

No, I've never done it. It doesn't get that cold along the shores of Lake Erie for me not grill ;) I've eaten ribs that were cooked inside though. My father has a backwards way (I call it) and the baby backs he cooks always come out quite good. He slices the rack into three rib sections, rubs them (seasons them), then he puts them in a 350F oven UNcovered for about 1-1/2 hours in a lasagna type pan sprayed with no-stick spray, then dumps some sauce on them (Sweet Baby Ray's original) and covers them for the last 1/2 hour. That's why it seems backwards to me. Uncovered first, then covered. They always come out great tasting and tender. A little sloppy, but that depends on how much sauce you use.

I just use a dry rub, place in the pan, cover well with "Oven Approved" plastic wrap and foil. No liquid. Slow roast until done. Uncover and pour on the favorite BBQ sauce and heat through. Or just serve with warmed BBQ sauce. (My favorite for monitoring sugar intake)

I do mine about like PF, only I wrap the ribs tightly in heavy duty foil....no liquid, just a lot of dry rub. I remove them to a shallow pan and pour on the sauce and broil till they are brown and finger licken good. I've never had any real success doing them on the grill, and this works well for me.

I'm not sure if this is helpful or not since it requires special equipment but the last couple times I've done baby backs I've cooked them sous vide. I make a rib rub which I liberal coat the ribs with. Then I freeze BBQ sauce in an ice cube tray- this allows me to vacuum seal the ribs with the sauce in them without the sauce getting sucked into the sealer. Then all you do is cook them in your sous vide cooker at 133 degrees F for three days! You can brush 'em with BBQ sauce and finish 'em under the broiler to get that nice crust.

I think I'm going to try this next week. I like the chipotle idea in particular for that smoky flavor without adding "liquid smoke".

Ribs can still be mighty tasty without the smoke flavor, from fire or bottle. I roast a batch with a seasoned rub, wrap some of the racks in foil, freeze some and finish some with tasty sauce in a 375 degree oven. It has been known to happen that a frozen slab has been thawed and plopped on the outside grill for a time with sauce to finish cooking. In your kitchen you can do what you want.

I'm not sure if this is helpful or not since it requires special equipment but the last couple times I've done baby backs I've cooked them sous vide. I make a rib rub which I liberal coat the ribs with. Then I freeze BBQ sauce in an ice cube tray- this allows me to vacuum seal the ribs with the sauce in them without the sauce getting sucked into the sealer. Then all you do is cook them in your sous vide cooker at 133 degrees F for three days! You can brush 'em with BBQ sauce and finish 'em under the broiler to get that nice crust.

3 days? So... this is not an impulse meal? :LOL:

See Alton's "Back yard baby-backs", on the food channel recipe site.
I use the rub, modified by substituting splenda for the sugar (Low carber) and adding celery salt.I call it love potion #9. Rub and refrigernate over night in foil. Cut the rack in half before rubbing/foiling to make the weight more manageable.
Use juice from an orange, together with half cup of lime juice and forth cup of triple sec for liquid, add to the foil pack(s), bake for 3 hours in the oven at 250. save, and reduce the sauce, as in the AB recipe, and char on the grill for a few minutes. AWESOME!
Usually make some cole slaw to go with it.

I use the rub, modified by substituting splenda for the sugar (Low carber) and adding celery salt.I call it love potion #9. Rub and refrigernate over night in foil. Cut the rack in half before rubbing/foiling to make the weight more manageable.
Use juice from an orange, together with half cup of lime juice and forth cup of triple sec for liquid, add to the foil pack(s), bake for 3 hours in the oven at 250. save, and reduce the sauce, as in the AB recipe, and char on the grill for a few minutes. AWESOME!

That sounds really good! Thanks!

Wow, missed this one! I'm a low-carb guy, too. I'd love to get your recipe.:chef:

I've gotten busy (that new dog thing) and now it is warm enough to -- gasp!-- grill them outside! I'm so happy! I'll bear all of this in mind when winter's gales are blowing next year. My thing about liquid smoke is that my ex husband (now, remember, this was 35 years ago and a very short marriage) used to like to pour it into everything (he had no taste buds, neither did any of his family) and it had a really chemical flavor. I'm sure the stuff has improved (and my life, since I acquired a husband who loves to eat good food and cook, some 30 years ago).

I've gotten busy (that new dog thing) and now it is warm enough to -- gasp!-- grill them outside! I'm so happy! I'll bear all of this in mind when winter's gales are blowing next year. My thing about liquid smoke is that my ex husband (now, remember, this was 35 years ago and a very short marriage) used to like to pour it into everything (he had no taste buds, neither did any of his family) and it had a really chemical flavor. I'm sure the stuff has improved (and my life, since I acquired a husband who loves to eat good food and cook, some 30 years ago).

I use liquid smoke from time to time and, used in reasonable quantities, it provides a nice smoke flavor with no chemical taste. It's basically just smoke that has been bubbled through water and bottled.

Back
Top Bottom