Oven question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyles

Head Chef
Hello helpful technical people. Before I ask this question let me give you some background. We live in a rented house and have inherited this oven, so have very little information on it. It is fan forced and electric.

I have noticed that it seems to cook at higher temperature on one side than the other. If I bake a tray of cookies, half-way through I have to turn the tray, otherwise the cookies on one side are overbrowned and the others haven't finished cooking. (note to Carnivore and Kitchenelf, I am not giving up baking :roll: I know that would be the simplest solution! lol)

Before I spend money trying to find a technician, can someone tell me more about callibration (I have heard some of you mention it but don't know what it means). And is there anything I can do without getting a technician in?

Hehe, I have exactly the same problem, Kyles! Unfortunately I can't help you just like I can't help myself. On the other side, my neighbour is an expert for elecrtic things so I will ask him to repair my oven, and than I could tell you what was the problem and everything. ;)

Im not an oven expert by any means :roll: but had a similar problem years ago. I was told my coil was bad. It had to be replaced. It was hotter in the back half the oven. Eventually it got so bad that I couldnt just turn the pans to correct the problem. They replaced the coil and it was fine. Could be your problem but maybe not :?

When my oven was brand new it did this :cry:

But if you are asking exactly what calibrating means it means when you turn your oven to a certain temperature they make sure it doesn't heat to a lower temp. or a higher temp. It is calibrated up or down to the exact temp. But it would not help one side cooking hotter than the other. It does sound like a coil problem.

(Me?????? Say don't bake?????? :P ) ;)

I might try calling around for a quote for someone to come and look at it. I hate calling technicians, as they charge a fortune to stand in your kitchen, cup of tea in hand, look disparagingly at the oven, saying "eh up lass, going to be an expensive job here....." I want to get a quote before I call the landlord in, if it's just going to be a cheap job I thought I'd just pay for it myself.

kyles;
The way ovens work here, replacing the coil can be done yourself. It just plugs into a socket in the stoove wall then is screwed into place with a bracket.
I know what you mean about techs. Here, they look at it scratch their heads and go "Whoo...that thing is in bad shape!" and they ALWAYS have to order a part that will be "Here next week...I'll call you"

Hmmmm... that's some tricky business there.

I'm guessing since you say "fan forced" you're talking about a convection oven. I know that uneven heating problems with non-convection (radiant) ovens can be resolved with the purchase of a large baking stone or thick unglazed quarry tiles cut to fit your bottom shelf. The stone resolves uneven heating by absorbing/radiating heat very uniformly. They also help to avoid large fluctuations in temperature.

Back
Top Bottom